The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 10, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1
JB00

Les Baer, BCM, or Colt AR-15?

I'm currently looking to purchase another AR-15 and I'm having trouble making a choice on which one. I would primarily use this as a varmint hunting weapon. I have narrowed it down to Les Baer, BCM, or Colt. I have a Colt match target h-bar right now and I really enjoy shooting it but it's a bit heavy for all the walking I do when calling coyotes, etc. (24" barrel about 14lbs unloaded) I'm not sure what the BCM's cost, but I've priced the Les Baer's and I like the Colt MT6400R which seems to be their version of the Baer monolithic. I like all 3, but was wanting to get some feedback and opinions. Feel free to make any suggestions. Thanks.
Old November 10, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Quentin2

A BCM with a pencil barrel is pretty light and highly recommended.

Here are a couple of my AR builds (pencil profile) with accurate weights...

AR #1

BCM 16" LW midlength upper with BCM M16 BCG, Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle, MBUS Gen 2 rear sight and MOE handguards/pistol grip with IWC QD mount ---- 4lbs, 2.6oz

Valkyrie lower with DD LPK, BCM receiver extension kit, H buffer and CTR stock ---- 2lbs 3.7oz

4lbs, 2.6oz + 2lbs 3.7oz = 6lbs 6.3oz basic rifle

AR #2
Daniel Defense 16" LW midlength upper with DD M16 BCG, Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle, MBUS Gen 2 rear sight and MOE handguards/pistol grip with IWC QD mount ---- 4lbs, 0.6oz

S&W M&P15 lower with DD LPK, BCM receiver extension kit, H buffer and CTR stock ---- 2lbs 3.7oz

4lbs, 0.6oz + 2lbs 3.7oz = 6lbs 4.3oz basic rifle
Old November 10, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Powderman

I'm partial to Colts--but you have three excellent rifles listed. I'd buy any of them with the utmost confidence. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old November 10, 2012, 11:34 PM   #4
JB00

@ Quentin, thanks for the info and how much would it cost to build a BCM like that? I tried to pull up the pdf on their site but it's acting goofy. I really like the options with their products and from what I've heard their cs is great.

@Powderman, I definitely like all 3 manufacturers.....might end up with one of each if the Xmas bonus is good enough! You can never have too many.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-2...0mi%20ss15.htm

BCM doesn't make a 24'' to the best of my knowledge. They do make a couple 20'' uppers. I'd be willing to bet that it'll shoot 1 MOA just like the Les Baers do as well.

G&R tactical had complete BCM lowers on sale a couple days ago for $360. Of course, with the election they're all gone.

I just picked up another BCM BCG yesterday for $160. Throw in a charging handle for $30-50 (depending on which of their models you want) and that's an excellent rifle for a lot less than the other two.

That said, you won't go wrong either way---they're all excellent choices for what you're going for.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:18 AM   #6
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I have two BCM builds and they are are of the utmost quality. I slapped a MOE handguard set on the 11.5" and it was tighter than on another build I made a while ago with a 16" barrel from a different manufacturer which had some wiggle. Both BCM's have been flawless with the BCM bolt carriers.

Quote:
how much would it cost to build a BCM like that?
Looking at BCM's website, 16" midlength recce upper reciever group with DD handguard is running $895.00, but there are better options for handguards out there.
Example; DD lite 12" weighs 15.3 oz

VTAC Alpha 11" weighs 10.17 oz.

On the BCM 16" midlength Recce upper receiver group page they list an upper with the alpha handguard for $749.00

(See this link )
Old November 11, 2012, 01:30 PM   #7
JB00

I appreciate all the feedback guys, I think I'm going to go for the BCM and do my first build. It seems to be the best option for the money and I will get more satisfaction out of shooting something I built with the parts and options I like as opposed to buying something ready made and spending more to tweak it. Thanks
Old November 11, 2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Quentin2

Quote:
... BCM 16" LW midlength upper with BCM M16 BCG, Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle, MBUS Gen 2 rear sight and MOE handguards/pistol grip with IWC QD mount ---- 4lbs, 2.6oz

Valkyrie lower with DD LPK, BCM receiver extension kit, H buffer and CTR stock ---- 2lbs 3.7oz

4lbs, 2.6oz + 2lbs 3.7oz = 6lbs 6.3oz basic rifle ...

Quote:
@ Quentin, thanks for the info and how much would it cost to build a BCM like that? I tried to pull up the pdf on their site but it's acting goofy. I really like the options with their products and from what I've heard their cs is great.
That rifle came in right at $1000. Shaving off the CTR and other Magpul stuff plus the Gunfighter charging handle would drop quite a bit off that price but they are great additions.

BCM is a great choice but unfortunately last time I checked they aren't taking orders for complete rifles or even lower receivers. They do have uppers in stock so you can build up your own lower yet still have BCM quality.
Old November 11, 2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
BCM is a great choice but unfortunately last time I checked they aren't taking orders for complete rifles or even lower receivers. They do have uppers in stock so you can build up your own lower yet still have BCM quality.
That's my understanding as well. Their complete lowers do come up from time to time----sign up for their email alerts and you may get lucky with one. That said, the upper and BCG are what really distinguish them.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:21 PM   #10
ripnbst

A lower is a lower is a lower. As long as all the holes are correctly sized and in the right location everything else is brand loyalty. I don't own a rifle with a lower I paid more than $99 for except one that I got a laser engraving on. The upper is what will make your rifle perform or not. The three you mentioned will all be great rifles.

I have LOKI uppers on all my guns and they all perform very well. They are a lesser known smaller shop that puts out very high quality rifles. One of the best kept secrets in the AR market. Never any malfunctions since I built them over a year ago. One is probably nearing 800 rounds through it now. Shoot one competitively and used it for a carbine course once also. NOT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION(that wasn't purposely created a la training) Some of those rounds are steel cased soft point Wolf WPA too.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:53 AM   #11
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
A lower is a lower is a lower. As long as all the holes are correctly sized and in the right location everything else is brand loyalty.
Tactical Innovations T-15 lowers come with a set screw to eliminate play between the upper and lowers and I know there are other manufacturers who do the same. Does the job of the accuwedge, and if you feel like spending the extra $50 because it makes you feel better it's an option.

But otherwise, yeah, a mega isn't any different from a del-ton isn't any different from a spikes. Although my RRA has a less glossy finish in comparison to the Del-ton lower...