The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 9, 2000, 08:44 AM   #1
Bubba

Had a whole heap of fun yesterday. I had never shot Sporting Clays, but Austin Smiles had a fund raiser yesterday at Cypress Valley Preserve just north of Austin. My company was one of the principle sponsers and I was asked to coordinate a team. Austin Smiles is a non-profit group of doctors who work with children who have cleft palates. They work with kids in a 10 county area around Austin and with kids in Latin America. They provide surgery for free to many kids who would not have any chance at life. My daughter was born with a unilateral cleft. So as you can imagine, this was a fund raiser I was proud to be a part of. For info on clefts, check out http://www.widesmiles.org .

To the shoot... What a hoot! I really liked the hunting focus of the competition. They had 8 stands with a variety of types of hunting; from fast moving crossing White Wings.. to rising teal.. springing quail.. and rabbits on the run. The competiton was very good. Some of these doctors can SHOOT! I did notice one thing... they can miss just as easy with those $2500 over-and-unders as I can with my little 1100-20 that I picked up for $325!

All in all, a realy fun day with a great cause. Looked to have over 150 shooters who each paid $250 a piece to shoot. I bought my warm up round at the 5 stand for $20 and my $10 worth of mulligans. There was still a $20 2 man flurry going on as I left. Based on those numbers.. they raised quite a bit of money as well.

Yeah antis... no possible good can come from people shooting... RIGHT? Tell that to the kids in El Salvador who will be able to smile because of these big hearted shooters!

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper
Old April 9, 2000, 09:18 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Outstanding, Bubba. Good for you guys!
Old April 10, 2000, 08:44 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like a good deal for the shooters and for the .Org...
Touching group... Good job.
Old April 10, 2000, 11:04 AM   #4
Miss Demeanors

I think that is wonderful Bubba! My friends niece was born with the cleft, so I am aware of the expenses for the surgery. Good job and I think there should be more things like this!