The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 2, 2001, 04:43 AM   #1
RT13

Protective Glasses For Wide Framed Head

Ha! Ha! It sounds ridiculous, but I need you guy's help. I have a pretty wide framed round skull, or should I say temple. I have a hard time finding myself a pair of sunglasses. The only glasses I know of that fits my head are those Oakley M frames and the Oakley Zeros which I use. The reason those fit me is because the frame goes around the temple instead of straight back. And they don't hook over the ears, if you guy's know what I'm talking about. They just go straight back, plus they are soft and bendable. To get to my point, I'm trying to buy myself a pair of shooting glasses, but most of the ones I try on at the shops don't fit around my head esp around the temple. Is there any brand or type that any of you can recommend me. Thanks.
Old December 2, 2001, 09:12 AM   #2
ut83

Shooting glasses tip

RT..this may sound strange. But here goes. Try your local Industrial supply store, welding supply store...along those lines.
I am an industrial MRO saleman. I find the best shooting glasses
at these stores. Many, Many different styles,colors and sizes and
they usually run 3-5$ I get yellow lense "smith and wesson" with
the same style temples your Oakleys have for 5-7$ each..and
they are safety glasses which is what I like anyway...keeps flying
ejected rnds from becoming more than a nuisance...Hope this helps. Shoot well
Old December 2, 2001, 09:42 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

I'LL BE BACK

Have you tried Gargoyles? (In your Dillon catalog.....)
Old December 2, 2001, 04:14 PM   #4
PUMC_TomG

If you know the Oakleys work, why not stick with them. I use M-frames all the time. Never had a problem, and I have taken brass in the lens...not a scratch. They may be a bit $$$ but they are indestructible and look nice.
Don't fix what's not broken.

My .02
Old December 2, 2001, 05:36 PM   #5
geegee

This post made me think back about 20 years. I was working as a bar bouncer, and one of the guys who worked the door with me was a prison guard (who became a County Sheriff). Think you need some wide glasses? His nickname was "CowHead"!

Man, he had some kind of melon geegee
Old December 3, 2001, 02:15 AM   #6
RT13

ha! ha! Thanks for the replies guys. I will check out the industrial supply store, and I actually thought about it. My father has a pair of nice protective glasses he bought from some shop a few years ago. Probably got them from Home Depot. You guys know any good online shop i can buy a pair of "cow head" sized clear lenses, hehe?
Old December 3, 2001, 08:43 PM   #7
ut83

Cowheadsoptical.com...lol Shoot well
Old December 3, 2001, 09:02 PM   #8
Archer1440

Why not use the Oakleys ? The Oakley lens is capable of stopping #4 shot at 20 yards fired from a 12 GA. Excellent optics and good durability.

I have an Oakley "shooting kit" with a hard case, Pro M frame and 3 lens choices for different conditons including clear. Less than $200.00.

Your eyes are priceless.
Old December 5, 2001, 10:53 AM   #9
Dr. Nick

Glasses

If the Oakley's fit then use 'em.

You can get amber or clear replacement lenses for your M-frames for about $30 each. They just snap in and out. They even make a case to hold your extra lenses.
Old December 5, 2001, 02:12 PM   #10
anubis

You might want to check out some Uvex Genesis. I used to wear the Oakley, as well as several others. I love the Genesis, and wear them for shooting, working on my guns/cars etc.. and also purchased some dark lenses for regular sunglasses. I think they can accomodate a wide head, too.

Best part - If you shop you can find them for $8-10 a pair, and they are (IMO) easily the equal of the Oakley's/Gargoyles et al.
Old December 6, 2001, 12:52 AM   #11
VVG

glasses

- The original Ray Ban Aviator is made in a 62mm size - most stores don't have them in stock, just the two smaller ones. The Shooter's style is also available. Oakley's don't come close to fitting me, the Aviators are good, the Shooting glasses are tighter because they are narrower over the nose bridge.

- Industrial safety glasses meet ALL the optical requirements of more expensive eye glasses, at about 1/10th the price. Why? They don't change styles often, so production volume is immense. They are not a fashion accessory like Oakleys are. I have a pair of Uvex safety glasses that fit fine, but S&W has one wrap around style that's bigger than the others. I got them from an industrial supplier, or they are about $14 at WalMart.

- A guy in the industry told me that if you have a "warranty" with a return charge, the return charge is the same or more as what they pay. For Oakleys, that's $18-22. So the other $90 is for "fashion" and to pay the endorsement contracts.