The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Nam Vet

Lee Pro Auto Auto-Disk Powder Measure problem

Loaded 500 rounds 45LC, 200 rounds 9mm with no problem. Took off the Auto-Disk from 9mm dies to move it to another location. Set it back up the exactly the same way as before, except now it wont work. The charge disk does not move.,
It's the same problem with the 45LC dies now. Charge disk does not move. I'm at a loss. Nothing changed, set it up the same way as always. Calling Lee tomorrow hopefully their CS tech can help. Any help from forum members would greatly be appreciated.
Old November 4, 2015, 02:48 AM   #2
noylj

Is the expander/powder through plug in the dies? Are the dies screwed down enough (the PTE and the riser, if using one)?
If you shake the PTE die, you should hear the plug moving back-and-forth.
Is the slot in the disk where it is supposed to be so the arm can move it back-and-forth?
Is the chain being used and is it taut enough? Is the spring on the Auto-Disk for disk return, if not using the idiot chain?
There isn't much to go wrong, so you should be able to determine the problem fairly easily.
Old November 4, 2015, 03:13 AM   #3
Jim243

Each set of dies has it's own "Powder Through Die" (ie: 45 LC & 9 MM) it sounds like you may have the wrong powder through die on the setup. Or the internal sleeve may have gotten stuck by a powder build up.

Check your powder through die.

Jim
Old November 4, 2015, 06:33 AM   #4
LE-28

Did you change powder? if you did and moved the disc forward to far the hand that moves the disc came out of it's slot.

Look under it to see the slot it rides in. Just push the disc forward and the hand forward then slid the disc back with the hand back in the slot and it will work again.

This hand is on the other end of the lever the chain goes on and goes up through the housing of the black plastic below the hopper.
Old November 4, 2015, 07:12 AM   #5
Real Gun

When the powder measure is removed, the Powder Through Expander (PTE) sleeve can escape the powder die. I keep the original funnel nuts around to use to secure the die opening while the measure is absent.

When you write that the 45 Colt setup no longer works, my hunch is that the PTE escaped, while you had the measure on "another location".

Also note that the "riser" has an actuator inside that can also escape if upside down and measure removed. Normally I move the riser with the measure, but they can be separated.
Old November 4, 2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Nam Vet

Tried everything you guys suggested still not working right. Never used the chain before so that can't be it. Can't be the wrong powder through die or the case would not seat. I can hear the plug moving back and fourth in the PTE die.
The spring moves but not enough to move the charge disk.
Set it up all over again. Fallowed instructions to the T. Screwed the die in till it touches the shell holder then backed out 1 full turn just as before. Expander plug in place.
I'm sure it must be a simple fix but feel like a idiot because I cant see the what the problem is. Calling Lee.

Thanks for all your help,

Ralph

Semper Paratus
Old November 4, 2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Mauser69

Riser?

Are you using a riser with the AutoDisk? If so, it has its own interal floating "plug" that you can accidentally let fall out.

If that is not the problem, here is how I would go about sorting it out:

First, remove the Auto Disk from the die and any riser.

Verify that the charge disk is firmly in place with no back and forth play - this will show that the actuating lever is in the correct slot under the disk (very easy to get that wrong when replacing a disk).

Next, remove the spring from the actuating lever. This will allow you to easily slide the collar (where the threads are) up and down on the drop tube to verify that the charge disk is moving properly. Measure how far the collar has to move down on the drop tube to make the charge disk move over the center of the drop hole. Be cautious you do not move it too far or the disk will actually move all the way out of the slot - no problem really, except that you just have to be careful to get the actuating lever back in the right slot when you re-insert the disk.

If it is moving correctly, go to the expander die without the Auto Disk installed and insert an empty shell case. Use any rod or medium sized screwdriver to stick into the top of the expander die and rest it on the expander plug. As the shell case reaches the top of the expander die, measure how far the rod is moving up - it must be the same amount that you measured in the step above.

Repeat that step with a riser, if you are using one. Movement must again be the same amount.

Now put the Auto Disk back on the expander die (still with the spring off), then re-insert the shell case and the disk should move the correct amount.

If the disk is installed correctly, these test WILL show you where the problem is.

When all done, make sure you put the spring back on!
Old November 4, 2015, 07:19 PM   #8
Road_Clam

It's got to be something very simple as to why your not dropping powder. Try to be systematic when observing the function of the components :

1) Is the spring loaded arm moving as you run the casing up into the charge die ?

2) is the disc(s) moving as well ?
a) If no, you probably have the discs incorrectly installed. Underneath the discs is a corresponding slot that is easily not engaged into the bracket tang.

3) is the upper reservoir rotated into the "open" position ?
Old November 4, 2015, 09:35 PM   #9
Nam Vet

Feeling like a idiot now. Walked away form the Lee press went out got some fresh air. The expender plug's was missing from 9mm & 45LC expender dies.
Found both on my loading bench in the garage. Must have fallen out when I moved to my portable bench in my spare room. Getting to cold for my uninsulated garage.

Thanks for all the input. This is a great forum. Lots of nice folk and a wealth of good info.
Old November 4, 2015, 09:41 PM   #10
Xfire68

Quote:
Feeling like a idiot now. Walked away form the Lee press went out got some fresh air. The expender plug's was missing from 9mm & 45LC expender dies.
Found both on my loading bench in the garage. Must have fallen out when I moved to my portable bench in my spare room. Getting to cold for my uninsulated garage.

Thanks for all the input. This is a great forum. Lots of nice folk and a wealth of good info.
I hate to admit it but I have done this more than once.