The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2008, 09:40 AM   #51
daveydoo

Check the website and all the 590 have the bayonet mount on them.
Old August 6, 2008, 10:24 AM   #52
Shiner Bock

Accessory lug = PCSpeak for bayonet lug. That doesn't mean you have to mount a bayonet to it. Mossberg may have stopped calling it a bayonet lug but that doesn't change anything, it still passes the duck test.

Let's see what the predominant common usage is. Google search for:

mossberg "accessory lug"

48 results.

Now search for:

mossberg "bayonet lug"

3730 results

I guess the PCSpeak is not catching on so fast.
Old August 6, 2008, 06:54 PM   #53
mikenbarb

How much is a bayonet going to protrude from the end when the lug is 1/3 the way back on the barrel??? Shiner, I have never seen when Mossberg ever called it a bayonet lug. Its always been an accessory lug. Anyway, It dont matter because it still looks stupid and anyone who puts a bayonet on a shotgun needs therapy for MNS(Mall Ninja Syndrome).
Old August 6, 2008, 08:18 PM   #54
L_Killkenny

Agreed!

LK
Old August 6, 2008, 08:21 PM   #55
L_Killkenny

BTW, lots of companies and people come up with stupid stuff to sell and they find stupid people to buy them.

Just becasue Mossberg offers the "accessory lug" doesn't mean it's a good idea. It just, IMHO, means that they'll find stupid people to buy them.

LK
Old August 6, 2008, 09:12 PM   #56
Shiner Bock

I'm just arguing semantics. I personally have no affinity for bayonets on non C&R stuff but to each his own. They did use pretty big bayonets on the Model 1897 trench guns though.
Old August 6, 2008, 09:26 PM   #57
daveydoo

Bayonet on any combat rifle and shotgun does have purpose. I am sure end of the world siturations (ie New Orleans, or the new big quake) and no more ammo but you still need to defend off BG. True slim, but it can happen. Trust me if I have shells I firing the gun first. The idea of perparing for all situration is not mall ninja. I have bayonets but mostly they are off my 590 and 590a1. But I need them they are not to far off. I also like bayonets on rifles. Lockflint and muskets look good in my eyes with a sharp piece of steel.
Old August 6, 2008, 10:28 PM   #58
mikenbarb

Yeah ok daveydo, But what about the wanna b's that have them on their HD guns in the closet??? Now thats stupid!
P.T. Barnum said their a sucker born every minute and this thread is proving it.
And not too many people had their guns in New Orleans after the flood. They were digging them out of the mud and destroying them(local P.D.). Just get a tree branch and beat the BG with it if your out of ammo, Its longer and will be more usefull in the long run.lol.
And the point with the lug is how are you going to mount a bayonet on it when the lug is 1/3rd of the way down the barrel? It seems like its awefully far back to me to get full use of a blade.??? Or if im wrong, Please show me that one fits good and has full use of its blade.
Old August 6, 2008, 10:41 PM   #59
daveydoo

ok Mike I'll hit a bg with a limb. What I mean by, like new orleans, is when disorder and failure of gov't to provide basic protection/serivces and one must CYA. Floods, and other siturations can happen anywhere. I also said you must be prepared to take care of yourself. I do not rely on gov't to protect me or my house. I am not one of the mall ninjas either but I am aware of what if.... happens. Sorry no tactical black bdu or rambo collection here. When you rely on gov't to bail your ass out like most people, you will be disapointed.

Take a look at pics here m9 and m7 do fit. Blade is not hidden by the barrel. like I also stated I have them but most of the time they are home. Major of time it is not needed, but that one time I rather have it than say Oh sh....
Old August 10, 2008, 02:11 AM   #60
imp

mikenbarb wrote:
Quote:
How much is a bayonet going to protrude from the end when the lug is 1/3 the way back on the barrel??? Shiner, I have never seen when Mossberg ever called it a bayonet lug. Its always been an accessory lug. Anyway, It dont matter because it still looks stupid and anyone who puts a bayonet on a shotgun needs therapy for MNS(Mall Ninja Syndrome).
If you look at spoolup's post on page 1 of this thread, there is a very good picture of a mossberg 590 with bayonet attached, and every inch of the blade is useable.

A rose, by any other name...you know the rest.
Old August 10, 2008, 01:08 PM   #61
mikenbarb

"Here is a photo of the M870 and the bayonet mount. It dont matter and still looks stupid as ever to have on a HD gun. For Military use its one thing and sure it has its place(havnt figured out where yet), But for a wanna be mall ninja, Its a dumb idea and just another Rambo add on that has no purpose whatsoever except to show off to your friends that give you ooohs and ahhhs that are clueless with firearms and have no idea except that it looks coooool and Rambo tough to them:barf:. I guess if thats what floats your boat, Then go for it.
Old August 10, 2008, 05:52 PM   #62
arizona98tj

imp.....here ya go....no wasted blade here

Old August 10, 2008, 07:25 PM   #63
L_Killkenny

No wasted blade? BS. The whole dang thing is a waste

LK
Old August 10, 2008, 08:34 PM   #64
mikenbarb

LOL, You got that rite L_killkenny. Arizona, Throw them slugs out because you dont need them with that thing. Just think of all the money your going to save on ammo.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:41 PM   #65
daveydoo

I guess all those combat arms with bayonet were dumb. The purpose of the bayonet is close combat. Even today the chances to run out of ammo is real. Rather have a bayonet than fight with folder tact knife most carry.

True most HD is not needed, but it is nice to have just in case and CYA.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:57 PM   #66
L_Killkenny

I can come up with all sorts of reasons someone in combat would run out of ammo but for the life of me I can't ever imagine a HD scenario where 1 box of ammo won't have you covered.

What, ya just keep 2 or 3 shells laying around and thats it? Or are you just thinkin about the roving bands of zombies?

LK
Old August 10, 2008, 10:53 PM   #67
mikenbarb

davey, Look up to what I said about military use. And when do you ever plan to run out of ammo in a HD situation? Now your being real silly.
And im sure your not using it as a military combat arm. Get a grip on reality and get off the Rambo Roids! Their making your mind fuzzy. By the sounds of the way your talking, If you ran outa ammo, You would crap yourself and run away as fast as you could because it dont sound like you have alot of experience with close combat situations. And surely you dont have any experience with the proper use of a bayonet except sticking it in the ground like the other ones with bare points I have seen on this post. It would be alot easier to take a shotgun with a bayonet on it away from a person than a folding Tact knife. I would rather hand to hand with a combat knife because their alot easier to keep out of the BG hands and in yours.

Last edited by mikenbarb; August 11, 2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old August 11, 2008, 10:58 PM   #68
daveydoo

You got me Mikey boy...don't know anything jerk it!!!

Sounds like you the one thinking combat is all gun and no close in hand. I not going to continue playing with you, for you could not understand. The rest of us are rambo wantabes and never been in combat. Sounds like you are king of combat know how.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:25 AM   #69
chickenman

This is great. I wanted to know of a set up or lug for my 870 and it good information. Thanks.

I also get the sweet opionions of others who should well....keep it to them selves.

Next time I start a thread I might state "If your opinion smells like your @ss... you should keep it to yourself".

-chickenman
Old August 12, 2008, 09:30 AM   #70
predator86

hey chicken, i love your idea, dont pay any attention to people here that accuse you of being infected with mall ninja syndrome, usually they are old guys that also complain about loud cars, squealing tires, god-durned whippersnappers and they have forgotten what it is like to be young and want something that is unique, different in the eyes of some, very very cool!!

yes i know a bayonet for "civilians" is pretty much pointless, but the knowlegde gained from the research and the eventual build will be valuable, look at this way, its a 350 dollar shotgun, a little bit of welding and a 50 dollar knife....who or what are you hurting??? absolutly nothing. you can even leave it on for HD, just leave it folded.

i say do it, it would be cool, it would be fun at the range and a learning experiance for ya....

if you really want to **** some people off.......cut the bayo lug off of an old milsurp rifle and then weld that on there
Old August 12, 2008, 09:57 AM   #71
Scattergun Bob

Chickenman

I loved your thread, got a chuckle every morning this past week. I think part of the FUN of this forum is ruffling feathers and most of the time it is meant in good fun. It is kinda hard around this "campfire" to see the similes, or hear the laughter.

I have had my feathers ruffed a few times by long time forum members, and I think it is part of being a FNG at this camp site.

So, welcome to the forum, keep writing, and you can ruffle my feathers any time.

Hay, by the way did anyone else notice that the M870 in post #11 was missing sights! Just like the Marines to go to war without the IMPORTAMT stuff, like COFFEE & sights!

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old August 12, 2008, 10:03 AM   #72
chickenman

good one Bob. Well said.

Seriously.....I just want a blade and not sure why other than I can. I am not a mall ninja but have lost a few marbles.

Cheers.
Old August 12, 2008, 10:14 AM   #73
Scattergun Bob

chickenman

The military's been slinging steel under a scattergun barrel since 1915. Just cause I don't, does not mean you can't! I think 2 negitives are a positive statment ? , so that means OK by me!
Old August 12, 2008, 10:14 AM   #74
Sarge

I have had exactly one incident when I wished momentarily for such a device.

It was low dusk, almost dark, and I was headed back to the pickup from a deer stand. I topped a little knoll and walked right into, I guess what you would call a 'covey' of wild turkeys which for reasons known only for them, were not in a tree yet. One or two of them 'airbrushed' me with their wings as they were struggling to get airborne and making more noise than a Chinook helicopter.

I did not shoot, and I am proud of that. I hope no one's game camera caught the ensuing melee, though.
Old August 12, 2008, 01:22 PM   #75
chickenman

Bob,
Gotcha. I can dig it.