The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Scott Conklin

Adding a mag cut off to an 870?

OK, do not yell at me. It's just a thought I had while tinkering with a couple of Chinese parts guns I picked up recently. At first glance it appears doable. And I'd rather butcher an already less-than-pristine Chinese receiver in the attempt as opposed to a real 870.

But in an admittedly not extensive internet search I found nuthin'. No indication anyone has even tried this. So...nobody wanted to thrash a good receiver? Or there's a reason it can't be done that I didn't see? It looks like there's a perfectly good 5/8ths of an inch of receiver/tube overlap I could bore and use...an oversize safety button on. Or any number of other things even if I had to make the inner contact piece... Thoughts?

www.libertydwells.com
Old November 27, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not studied the issue, but I would guess that with enough money it could be done, I am just not sure why. A cutoff is normally put on an autoloading gun to keep a shell from automatically feeding from the magazine so special shells can be loaded manually one at a time. But pump guns won't feed anything automatically, and most pumps allow loading shells manually without a cutoff.

Jim
Old November 27, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Scott Conklin

Primarily just a matter of curiosity. These two Chinese knock-offs have to be completely gone thru regardless and it was just something I'm considering tinkering with unless there is some definite reason not to.

www.libertydwells.com
Old November 30, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't think of a reason not to do whatever you want. They are your guns.

Jim
Old December 15, 2012, 10:33 PM   #5
publius

I don't see why it couldn't be done but I just slowly open my action far enough to remove the shell from the chamber.