The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 21, 2006, 06:14 PM   #1
husker67

Advice on new blackpowder revolver

Looking at a Remington 1858? replica made by Navy Arms, .36 caliber....steel frame, am leaning toward a (considering) purchase...

Have shot muzzleloading rifles, but never revolvers---what can you tell me about this handgun? Manufacturer's reputation, general accuracy, loads, what stuff do I need to shoot it, clean it, etc. Any pertinent (or impertinent) comments appreciated....

Thanks, Dave
Old March 21, 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Weird Guy

The '58 remington is the pistol I would always suggest a new buyer to purchase. The cylinder can be taken out very easily. It is in fact designed for a quick change to other loaded cylinders. Colts require you to use a hammer and punch to knock out a wedge and pull the barrel off if you want to change the cylinder.

The caliber is where things get a bit odd. The one you have is .36 caliber, meaning that it is a Remington New Model Navy 1858. The normal Remington is a .44 caliber, the caliber the US army used. The navy used .36 caliber.

As for shooting supplies, you will need a screwdriver that fits the screws to be able to dissassmeble the pistol. The revolvers get the fouling inside the action, so you will need to take the trigger, cylinder stop, and cylinder advancing arms out of the frame and clean them too. Also pull the cones out of the back of the cylinder.

The bullets will be oversized for the pistol, unlike muskets that use undersized bulllets and patches. No patches are used in revolvers. There will be a ring of lead shaved off the bullet as you seat it directly over the powder charge (normally a powder charge is 30 grains or so).

Another supply is Crisco, the cooking greese. You cover the front of the chambers with it to keep the pistol from chain firing more than one chamber at a time from the flames crossing the front of the other five chambers. I will add that there is some discussion that the bullets make a sufficient seal (remember the lead is shaved off when it is seated, so it should be tight). There is another reason to use the Crisco anyway, because it mixes with the gunpowder residue and keeps it soft enough to clean easily.
Old March 22, 2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Dglazier

I used .44 Remington '58 Army's for about 3 years in Cowboy Action Shooting. They are good guns. When I would shoot a 2 day match(100 rounds in each pistol), I would take the guns completely apart and wash them in hot, soapy water, and then rinse them in real hot water. The first few times is a little scary, but then you get used to doing it. They get really dirty inside, so you need to strip them down fairly regular. I don't know about the .36 cal., but the '58 Remingtons I had used .454 balls.
I used a mixture of crisco and beeswax for lube, but you can use "wonder wads" between the powder and the balls instead.
I have never had a "chain fire" in one of my cap and ball pistols. Most of them occur by fire crossing from one nipple to the other. Just make sure all charged cylinders are capped before firing the pistol.
Have Fun and Be Safe!
Old March 22, 2006, 08:28 PM   #4
ribbonstone

The 36 is the same size as the .44 (frame and cylinder diameter) and makes a sweet shooting hangun. Power is all well and good, but unless shooting meat it's wasted; paper, tin cans, or wahtever you plink at won't know the difference.

The 36's foul a bit less simply becasue they burn a bit less powder and the distance from cylinder mouth to cylinder pin is a bit greater (so the fouling isn't blown into that space with the same force or volume).

The other navy Arms marked revolvers I've ownered were Uberti made...will be marked Navy Amrs but carry the Uberti frame markings (older Navy Arms usually have the Uberti "U" surrounded by an octogon).

IF the price is good and the revoler in good condition, I'd go ahead and buy.
Old March 24, 2006, 10:51 PM   #5
Cactus Jake

I got my 1858 Remington 36 Cal. Steel revolver (Pietta) from Cabellas a few months ago. I am using an R and D conversion cylinder for 38 Special right now and it shoots just fine. I really think this gun is beautiful, well made and was the best price after I looked all over for one. The Remingtons are easy toi load, clean, and cylinder removal is a snap! You can't go wrong with a Remmy!