The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2014, 08:58 PM   #51
TunnelRat

Quote:
all the ones that say it isnt PROVEN, dont trust a turkish gun, i thought it was obvious
When it was four people, it isn't exactly easy to be obvious.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 23, 2014, 09:49 PM   #52
Glockstar .40

Quote:
CanĀ“t stand the grip angle on Glocks. Not the mushy striker fire trigger either.
Ok I'll give you the grip angle. It's not for everyone. But mushy trigger? If you think thats mushy you must have never shot an Lc9.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:17 PM   #53
TomInLa

Turkish Alternative

The Stoeger brand is made in Turkey. Wholly owned subsidiary of Beretta, making the cougar series pistols in 9, 40, & 45. They are made on the same exact Beretta tooled machines that Beretta made their cougars on before they got all PX4 crazy. I have the Stoeger 8040 and it shoots really good, the rotating barrel design helps to manage some of that snappiness of the 40. So you get Beretta design/quality at a very affordable price.
Old July 24, 2014, 07:23 AM   #54
lee n. field

Quote:
why should i stay away from a 40 sw? Im 6' 220 lbs.. have shot a .45 9mm .. why should i stay away from a .40.. thats my next gun in line.
The Internet gunforum herd mind has moved into regarding the .40 as "too snappy", and as not quite up to snuff with the currently favored "hail of copper jacketed lead" strategy. (I don't share that opinion.)

Yeah, there's a reason Kel Tec didn't make their .40 version of the P11 micro gun for very long. And, people's individual tolerance for recoil is going to vary.

Shoot .40 in a big enough gun.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; July 24, 2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old July 24, 2014, 08:16 AM   #55
jasmith85

I know the OP already made his decision but I just wanted to add something about the Sig 2022 that a few people mentioned. Sig is currently running a promotion where they will send you two free magazines for a gun purchased new this summer. The gun has to be purchased by the end of July but two extra magazines from Sig is a $90 value. If anyone is thinking about buying one of the Sig Pros from PSA this would be a great time to do it.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:06 AM   #56
Pico

Tristar

If I were buying a first gun in the stated price range, it would be my first choice. And yes it is made in TURKEY.

Pico
Old July 24, 2014, 01:01 PM   #57
Dirty_Harry

I am by no means trying to pimp glock. Heck, I only have one. I just gave my opinion on what I think is the best gun close to that price range.

Skizzums, if you were defending your life today, what would you choose between one of the op's choices or a glock/m&p/beretta?

Every manufacturer has lemons, but if you count how many more glocks/m&p's/berettas are out there you are going to hear of more.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 24, 2014, 01:15 PM   #58
Dirty_Harry

Just an extra note: I have found out that you usually get what you pay for, especially firearms. If its just a range toy, then knock yourself out. But I dont think you should compromise when your life may depend on it.

As for 40 caliber, it just has a nasty little snap to it. You dont really gain anything over a 9 or a 45 with a .45 either. I probably will never own another 40. Recoil doesnt bother me a bit, but its kind of the point: why have a pistol with so much more snap than a 9, no more real world penetration and less capacity?

9mm is also the cheapest to practice with and practice is more important than caliber choice.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 24, 2014, 01:50 PM   #59
aarondhgraham

You will get tons of recommendations,,,

You will get tons of recommendations,,,
Everyone in here (including me) touts their favorite pistol.

So I'll try something different.

Get one that fits your hand,,,
No matter how fine a piece of machinery it is,,,
If it doesn't fit your hand then it's of no practical use to you.

Start with that criteria,,,
Then decide caliber and make.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 24, 2014, 02:39 PM   #60
skizzums

dirty harry, i own two s&w shield, a 40 and a 9, also a s&w sd9, aslo a berretta 40 and two taurus revolvers, and a cz

i trust my life everyday to the tri-star, its my daily carry because it has proven to be more accurate and more reliable than all my other guns, i cant speak for the SAR because i only have experience with from using my brothers, but i would choose my turkish tri-star above all others if i knew i was going to be in a fire-fight that day, i assume you dont own one and cannot speak for what a great gun it is

i would also like the cz just as much as the tristar, but the tristart is a little lighter and has a better trigger and i am most accurate with the t-100 over the the cz compact

short answer, YES