The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Win73

Got one today

Got my first deer of the season today. I had let a couple of spikes walk recently but couldn't let this fellow walk.

I didn't hunt this morning because of the rain. It had tapered off to a mist by this afternoon. I made the 300 yard walk to my shooting house without getting too wet. I got settled in about 1:40. The temp was about 48 with a misting rain. About 2:30 this buck walks out of the brush on the opposite side of the property line fence. He walked up to the fence and jumped it onto my side. He gave me about a 40 yard broad side shot. The rifle is a NEF Handi Rifle in .30-06 with a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 scope. The bullet was a Remington 150 grain CoreLokt. The shot was through and through. It made a small hole going in and a large hole coming out.

One thing I don't understand is the negative posts on this and other forums about the Remington CoreLokt. They have worked great for me. I have fired this combination ten times at deer and one time at a coyote and have put ten deer and one coyote on the ground.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:54 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Nice lookin' "slick rack"!!!

Brent
Old December 11, 2012, 01:21 AM   #3
couillon

Nice deer. Congratulations!
Old December 11, 2012, 01:23 AM   #4
couillon

Oh and I don't pay much attention to what some people post about the Remington CoreLokt. I have been using them in an old .303 for years. It is the only rifle I use them in but they do just fine, so I have seen no reason to try anything better with that one.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:19 AM   #5
chewie146

I think many dislike the core lokt because it doesn't shoot well for them. It's a fine bullet, though a bit lightly constructed for bull elk, unless a lung shot is used. I love the hornady SST, but they're of similar construction with the interlock. Nice shooting and nice deer!
Old December 11, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nice deer there Win 73. Better yet. Great shot placement you made on it too. (Old school I see.) Ribs and not hard to do at times head shot even tho you had the ability with that scope mounted. You sir I see have some experience in taken deer.
Absolutely nothing wrong in using Remington CoreLokt's either. I think a few reloaders here and there are disappointed with Remington's decision to discontinue making some of there (reloaders) favorite components. One I can think of off hand is the 35 Rem and its discontinuance of brass for that caliber. Apparently quite a few 35 Rem 336 levers are still around by all the commotion there seems to be. Any how. Looks like that freezer of your is going to hold some great eating venison for awhile. Congratulations on a job well done Sir.

P.Script: I like that heavy built trailer your using. Red in color too> Nice touch.

S/S

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; December 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Post Script added.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:12 PM   #7
shortwave

Patience and a well placed shot works everytime.

Congrats on your buck.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Win73

Quote:
P.Script: I like that heavy built trailer your using. Red in color too> Nice touch.
I bought that trailer a couple of years ago for $250. It has come in handy more than once. After I killed the deer, I got my 4 wheeler and hooked onto the trailer. I was able to drive to within 20 feet of where the deer went down. I drug the deer to the tailer, tilted the bed back, and was able to slide it onto the trailer with very little effort. I then drove to where my truck was parked, backed the trailer up to the truck, and was able to pull the deer into the truck bed without much effort. Then drove to the processor. Never even worked up a sweat.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I bought that trailer a couple of years ago for $250. It has come in handy more than once.
That's the way to do it Sir.
Those little 4/wheelers sure do come in handy. A good trailer behind makes them even better._
Old December 11, 2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Very nice! Good shooting.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Win73

Quote:
Those little 4/wheelers sure do come in handy
Mine is a 2006 Honda Rancher. I bought it 2 1/2 years ago for $1,600. It was in excellent condition with four brand new tires and a new battery.

The deer season before I bought it I shot a deer that I had to drag 700 yards to get it to my truck. I told myself then that this fat boy was not going to do that again! The next summer I bought the four wheeler.

Old December 11, 2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

1600 for a 4yr. old Honda. That's a very, very, good price for that model. Considering it had new tires and battery to sweeten the deal some. Up here in MN. A machine like that you could easily double that price you got yours for. Any how. Its a lot easier to drive 700 yards than to walk it. Add a deer to the mix. Huff & Puff time no doubt about that if you had to pull a deer along as well. Just goes to show your here and kick'in. That deer was eaten. Now you got another to deal with. You guys down in Alabama sure know how to do things right back there in the woods Sir._ Happy Holidays Win 73.

S/S
Old December 11, 2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Congratulations. Nice looking deer.

As far as Core Lokts go, I think they are fine rounds and they never let me down. They were accurate and did exactly what I expected them too.

They aren't sexy or boutique however and in this day and age that certainly hurts their popularity.

As I mentioned, I think they are very good hunting rounds but in full disclosure, I stopped using them a few years ago not because of their performance but simply because I found them to be pretty dirty to shoot.

Congratulations again on your fine deer.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; December 11, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:28 PM   #14
doofus47

Nice deer. Congratulations
Old December 11, 2012, 11:51 PM   #15
Win73

Quote:
Its a lot easier to drive 700 yards than to walk it. Add a deer to the mix. Huff & Puff time no doubt about that if you had to pull a deer along as well. Just goes to show your here and kick'in. That deer was eaten. Now you got another to deal with. You guys down in Alabama sure know how to do things right back there in the woods Sir.
I was definitely doing some huffing and puffing by the time I got that deer to the truck. It was a doe that probably weighed in the 110 to 120 pound range but by that last 100 yards I think it had gained a couple of hundred pounds. And then I still had to get it in my truck bed by myself.

If you are referring to our deer season, you are right. Between bow and firearms, we have a 3 1/2 month long deer season with a limit of 2 a day, one of which can be a buck. A few years ago they did institute a three buck season limit. So if you killed the limit every day, you could legally kill about 210 in a season. However 207 would have to be does. We don't have to worry about tags or check the deer in anywhere. We are supposed to fill out a harvest record when we kill a buck. That is supposed to be done before you move the deer. Over the last seven seasons I have killed 14 deer, 8 of them bucks. Nobody has ever checked my harvest record.

Old December 12, 2012, 12:08 AM   #16
Win73

Quote:
As far as Core Lokts go, I think they are fine rounds and they never let me down. They were accurate and did exactly what I expected them too.

As I mentioned, I think they are very good hunting rounds but in full disclosure, I stopped using them a few years ago not because of their performance but simply because I found them to be pretty dirty to shoot.
I have had great results with them also. And I haven't noticed them being particularly dirty in my .30-06 NEF Handi Rifle. I usually don't clean it til the season is over. I then put it up til I make sure it is still zeroed just before the next season. I generally won't fire more than 10 or 12 rounds a year through it.
The most I have fired it during any one deer season was four times.

If you are beginning to think I need to practice more with it to be able to hit what I am shooting at, I have fired it ten times at deer and one time at a coyote and have put ten deer and one coyote on the ground. All one shot kills. The deer ranged from 25 to 125 yards. The coyote was about 50 yards. I do shoot my other guns a lot more, especially my pistols and .22's.

Old December 12, 2012, 01:17 AM   #17
tahoe2

Hey Win73, Congrats ! nice deer ! I also find "Core Lokt's" to be more than enough for deer sized game. I also used a 150 grn Core Lokt to take a 150 lb Blacktail a couple weeks ago, albeit in 280 Rem. That bullet entered head on between the neck & left shoulder and exited between the ribs & hip on the right after traveling 18"-20" through the deer, I'm sure it was a perfect mushroom (not recovered), the shot was about 60 yards and slightly uphill. Those particular bullets are the most accurate in that gun; a Remington 7400 in 280 Rem.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:42 AM   #18
bamaranger

Hey'73

Congrats on your deer. I suspect we are nearly neighbors. I've had a heck of a time seeing deer this year.

Bamaboy hunted a food plot this PM and missed a doe (rare) at 250 yds +. I took a doe early in Oct w/ my bow and have been in a slump since.

Glad to see your're getting action.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Win73

Quote:
Congrats on your deer. I suspect we are nearly neighbors. I've had a heck of a time seeing deer this year.

Bamaboy hunted a food plot this PM and missed a doe (rare) at 250 yds +. I took a doe early in Oct w/ my bow and have been in a slump since.

Glad to see your're getting action.
I have seen a lot more deer than I have been able to shoot. I hunt on a friend's property north of Athens. There is an area I can see from one of my shooting houses that the deer frequent pretty much every day. The reason I can't shoot them is because the range is about 400 yards and they are on the wrong side of the fence.

In the last couple of weeks I did let a couple of spikes walk. During bow season I was in my ladder stand with my crossbow. All of a sudden a doe snorted just a few feet from the base of my stand. She had come in from behind me and I didn't know she was there until she snorted. It surpised me so much that I jumped. She ran back the way she had come about 40 yards and stopped. But there was no way I could shoot behind me with that crossbow.

I'll probably hunt until I get one more deer. As it gets closer to the end of the season, I will get a little less selective about what I shoot.

Old December 12, 2012, 05:36 PM   #20
DennisCA

Congrats - fine lookin' deer

BTW: What was the weight?

As far as Core Lokts go...if they work for you, then stick with them.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Win73

Quote:
Congrats - fine lookin' deer

BTW: What was the weight?

As far as Core Lokts go...if they work for you, then stick with them.
He weighed 165 pounds. Not huge, just a nice sized deer.

I will definitely stick with the CoreLokts. They have done the job for me everytime. I have fired them ten times at deer and one time at a coyote. I have put ten deer and one coyote on the ground with them. All were one shot kills. Some of the deer dropped in their tracks and some ran, but none more than 100 yards. And those that did run left an easily followed blood trail. On this deer it made about a quarter inch hole going in and about a one inch hole coming out the oposite side.

The coyote I hit just behind the rib cage. Nearly cut him in two.

Old December 12, 2012, 11:53 PM   #22
12GaugeShuggoth

Nice deer, and nice rifle....nothing quite like a single shot IMO.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old December 13, 2012, 12:18 AM   #23
Win73

Quote:
Nice deer, and nice rifle....nothing quite like a single shot IMO.
It is a NEF Handi Rifle in .30-06. It is not fancy or expensive but it has served me very well. When I bought it six years ago, it had a Tasco 3-9x40 scope on it. I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but it was something over $200. Two years ago I put a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 on it.

With that butt stock shell carrier I can reload it almost as fast as a bolt action. I just push the button, it breaks open, the empty ejects, I stick another in the chamber, and close it. Faster to do than say.

Oh, but I have never needed a second shot.

Old December 13, 2012, 12:28 AM   #24
Sphawley

Nice deer!! Congrats!

Very jealous, hunting here really kinda blows...