The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 27, 2011, 01:08 AM   #1
QuickDeadEye

Faulty firing pins

Ok so I know at least half of you have had to buy firing pins only for them to break being brand spankin new. It's such a let down to pay $30 to $60 on a tiny piece of metal only to have it break when you actually use the dang thing.. I wanted to know if there is a way to heat treat it once again when you get it. I'm not sure if that would be a bad idea or if I should make my own or what steel to use.. Any insight would be much ablidged!!
Old October 27, 2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Depends on the pin.
Never try to heat treat metal, unless you know exactly what the metal is.
Never try to heat treat metal unless you know exactly what you're doing, either. If you do know what you're doing, 1095 steel, tempered to spring temper (RC50-53) works very well for many firing pins.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:31 AM   #3
QuickDeadEye

Well I know that it's very easy to over temper metals as I had taken classes on that subject but I couldn't remember if a second tempering would hurt or help if done correctly.
Old October 27, 2011, 10:46 AM   #4
mete

For simple steels 1 temper is all you need .More complex steels like some of the stainless knife steels should have 3 tempers. Temperature control is very important .Some use a toaster oven for lack of a proper tempering furnace.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:21 PM   #5
HiBC

One possibility,the pins are at fault,the made a bad lot,you keep buying bad pins.Could be.I understand your frustration.

One other possibility,something else is wrong.

What kind of firearm is it?
Tell us how/when it breaks,any other info,for example,dry firing,hard to open break action,etc.

Could be,someone else knows a work around for a bad part design.

Is there a sharp cut inside corner at the break?
Old October 28, 2011, 02:25 PM   #6
QuickDeadEye

To be honest it was the original firing pin up until just a little while that old of a pin out of a raven p25 was prone to break but never did so I'm guessing it became old and brittle with all the wear and tear it received. That line of guns the pins was mass produced but I had a Bryco that I put a pin in and broke it within an hour of having it really makes you mad I just don't want the same story with the raven..
Old October 28, 2011, 10:59 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I won't comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of anything about a Bryco or Raven.

In general, the firing pins that give trouble were poorly designed in the first place, and in many cases the replacements are cast steel (cast iron?), made for the replacement market and of poor quality. IMHO, if at all possible, it is better to make a replacement as Bill says. If done right, it should last as long as the gun.

Jim
Old October 29, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
QuickDeadEye

Well I talked with a man from ohio he was a gunsmith that makes replacement firing pins he informed me his pins were turned down steel not a cast of any type.. Thus eliminating the poor brittle pins.. So I will just have to try it out and see how it turns out..
Old October 29, 2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Gbro

I would be interested in this Smith's product if possible.
I bought a replacement firing pin for my H-S HD Military and after installing it I test fired it on spent brass and within just a few strikes it was blunter than the original. I sent it back to Numerich and they replaced it but that one, although passed the spent brass testing is now not reliable enough to take to the range.
And yes I do have some chamber face indentation that needs to be repaired.