The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Why do you carry a gun on your person?
I am required by my location and circumstances 31 15.42%
I carry just to be on safe side, but there really isn't any immediate threat 143 71.14%
I carry for fun since I can llegally do so 9 4.48%
I dont carry on person. I leave gun at home 18 8.96%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 28, 2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Firepower!

How important is it for you to carry gun?

Depending on where you live and your circumstances, how important is it for you to carry a weapon on your person?

Please discuss.

I am trying to see what percentage carries by necessity, for fun or just to be on safe side, etc.
Old November 28, 2008, 01:47 AM   #2
omkhan

I do not always carry because of hostile police here in karachi. When I hang out with friends I never carry because I dont want the next days news papers to read "4 Guys arrested while roaming around with the 'intention of robbery' ". So whenever I carry, I do it to be on safe side, specially considering the current situation in the city.
Old November 28, 2008, 02:11 AM   #3
Firepower!

omkhan
If you have license it should not be a problem to carry concealed.

How far is Lehari from you, and whats law and order situation there?
Old November 28, 2008, 02:25 AM   #4
omkhan

Lyari is quite far but thats not the only troubled spot. Recent clashes b/w Muttahida & ANP/ Pakhtoons groups are happening in quite well off localities as well e.g. Gulshan, North Nazimabad etc. I live in North Nazimabad btw.
Old November 28, 2008, 03:49 AM   #5
frankinstine

I carry for a few reasons, mostly because i was raised by a dad who believes strongly in it and has done so his entire life, and because i live in a not so great neighborhood. Its not the worst, but i've had a few less than friendly encounters and i do feel a whole lot safer with my gun and i think people should take responisibility for their own safety.
Old November 28, 2008, 04:10 AM   #6
fbrown333@suddenlink

why I carry

I carry due to the fact that I used to repo autos and worked at a car lot (carried large sums of money to deposit). If you have ever been robbed at gun point you would understand. I lost two friends to armed robbers who all ready had the money and shot them for spite and I vowed that I would not go down with out a fight like my friends did.
I believe in self preservation of myself, family and friends. some one on here stated once that when seconds count the police are minutes away! (no offence to any law enforcement here) just the way it is, they can not be every where and do not legaly have to protect you. Better safe than sorry.
Old November 28, 2008, 05:09 AM   #7
hoytinak

I live in a small town of 203 people where everyone knows everyone and there really is nothing to worry bout round here (crime wise). I don't have to lock my house or truck up at night (but I do anyways) and I really have no reason to carry. I do carry because nothing is 100% and you never know for sure, it's like an insurance policy I hope I never have to use.
Old November 28, 2008, 06:22 AM   #8
csmsss

Quote:
I carry for a few reasons, mostly because i was raised by a dad who believes strongly in it and has done so his entire life, and because i live in a not so great neighborhood. Its not the worst, but i've had a few less than friendly encounters and i do feel a whole lot safer with my gun and i think people should take responisibility for their own safety.
That's interesting. My situation is actually the reverse - my parents always loathed guns and wouldn't even allow me to have a BB gun. My own interest in owning guns and carrying them for protection is to a great degree a reaction to their irrational and illogical fear of firearms.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:22 AM   #9
Larry $

I take some issue with the third option, ...carry for "fun"

I don't know anyone, myself included, who consider carrying a concealed weapon "fun". It's a responsibility, an exercising of an individual right, sometimes maybe even a burden of sorts - but not "fun" in any sense of the word, IMO.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Dreamerx4

A friend asked me if I only wore a seatbelt when I knew I was going to be in an accident.

Made a good point, now I carry whenever I can.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:45 AM   #11
Creature

Quote:
I take some issue with the third option, ...carry for "fun"
As do I...

Quote:
A friend asked me if I only wore a seatbelt when I knew I was going to be in an accident.
I wear a seatbelt because its the law and I have no choice in the matter.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:50 AM   #12
David Armstrong

Carrying for me is just one more layer in my personal defense strategy. I don't expect many problems, and those that do pop up I don't expect them to be much of a problem, but the cost of carrying for me is relatively low.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:58 AM   #13
JohnH1963

When you are not prepared, then the worst usually does happen. For example, you do not place a blanket or shovel in your vehicle. Then, one day, you find yourself stuck in the snow with passengers having no shovel to dig yourself out or blanket for your passengers. Where as when you do place a shovel and blanket in your vehicle, it will sit there for years and you will never have to use it.

Its all about fate. When you have it, you dont need it. When you dont have it, you usually will need it.

If you carry a pistol, then you wont ever need it. If you dont carry a pistol, you will find yourself in situations where you would have felt better carrying it and then there are those times where you actually need it.

Carrying a pistol also helps steer you out of certain situations. You know if you were to whip out that pistol then there will be questions to answer. You also know that if you get to close to someone else then there is a chance they could take that pistol away from you. So you are extra cautious in how you conduct yourself with your pistol. That bit of extra caution helps keep you out of trouble and harms way.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Japle

I carry for the same reason I wear a seat belt.
You can't schedule emergencies.
Old November 28, 2008, 04:20 PM   #15
obxned

I work in a small retail store, alone, in a rural area 30 miles from the Sheriff's office, deal in large numbers of very expensive items the BGs would kill for, often transport a fair amount of those products in my pickup truck, and also have cash bank deposits to make, often after dark.

A suspicious mind, a sharp eye, a large dog, and one or more firearms are very, very handy!

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old November 28, 2008, 06:04 PM   #16
alloy

i'm behind a counter much of the day....with a layout and customers similar to a pawn shop.
a gun there(permit not required), that just sort of carried over to the coming and going to work(permit required). but at home...black bears are about it.
Old November 28, 2008, 06:18 PM   #17
armsmaster270

I've been carrying since 1968 with a permit and legally since I was 16 without a permit, while going to from & during hunting and fishing. I was given my first pistol a 1911 colt made in 1913 on my 16th birthday. At first due to my work it was required then when I had to shoot a gangbanger it became a necessity.
Old November 28, 2008, 06:28 PM   #18
rogertc1

i HAVE A CCW HOWEVER THERE IS NO CRIME IN MY PART OF THE USA...SO I HARDLY EVER CARRY. NO REAL NEED.
I carry for fun since I can llegally do so

Last edited by rogertc1; November 29, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:46 PM   #19
skeeter1

I voted "No carry", but that's only a half-truth. When I'm in my home, I always have a NAA revolver in my pocket. Problems are two-fold:

1). CCWs are expensive where I live.

2). More importantly, lots of places I go (hospitals, nursing homes, et.al.) CCW, permit or not, is verboten. When I go out, I usually carry a 2.5" folding knife. It's not much, but it's unlikely to get me into trouble with the cops.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:58 PM   #20
TheNatureBoy

The only time I carry is when I travel long distance, go on a hunting trip or gun range or when I go to a 7-11 after dark. Every now and then I'll carry when I go somewhere with my family. Other than that I don't bother.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:16 PM   #21
Deet

Darn it I again must say "Right On" to Creature. Good comment.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Keltyke

Quote:
I carry for the same reason I wear a seat belt.
You can't schedule emergencies.
Big +1 there! I live in a fairly quiet Southern town. Not much crime. HOWEVER: in the news tonight - shootings and robberies at two Dunkin' Donuts. The crap is happening more frequently and it's getting to where you never know where and when the mess will hit the fan. Reference two recent posts here in TFL: "vagrant" and "Wal-Mart". I told my wife to not let ANYONE approach within 30 feet of her in a parking lot, daylight or at night.

I carry because you never know...
Old November 28, 2008, 10:22 PM   #23
GetYerShells

I carry because the area I moved into 2 years ago (North West San Antonio) has quickly started to go to pot. In my neighborhood alone within a 2 week period there were several home breakin. Someone robbed a sonic drive in and another person got shot. This all happened withing a 1 mile radius of my home.
Old November 29, 2008, 03:41 AM   #24
tarkio

John1963 nailed it for me.

I want to add that the reason I carry is three-fold, my wife and two children

I have always had firearms. But when I had kids I started to look at things differently. Now I carry constantly. Every where I go and in my home as well.

You never know. That is the thing to remember.
Old November 29, 2008, 11:56 AM   #25
DWARREN123

I carry because it is my RIGHT and DUTY as a American citizen to be prepared and responsible for myself!