The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 26, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1
at360

SKS gas lever issue.

I just bought a Chinese sks type 56, took apart to clean it. Now that i want to put back together I am having issues locking the gas tube back in place, it wont shut. The lever wont move down at all.

However it locks down when the front end isnt in place (picture #1)
But when everything is properly in place it wont lock in
I am new to weapons so ill take any help !

Here's what I'm dealing with
Sks: http://youtu.be/SoxU77TXxKc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_sks1.jpg (137.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_sks2.jpg (158.7 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by at360; July 27, 2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old July 26, 2014, 04:16 PM   #2
rightside

Sometimes you have to look at the junction where the tube goes down into the sight/trunnion area. Look at the way the latch inside the trunnion is oriented . Make sure it's straight up and down. Sometimes when you move the lever up for take down, the latch is still a little out of line and the gas tube won't drop back in. You may have to move the lever while pushing the tube to see if the latch is actually lining up to let the tube fall in properly.
Old July 26, 2014, 05:31 PM   #3
at360

@rightside

still no luck , not sure what im doing wrong here:confused
Old July 26, 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
rightside

Not sure either. Is the front being pushed forward as far as possible before rotating the rear ? Sort of wiggling it forward as you move the rear into place? Your pics weren't much help because we couldn't see the ends and how they are positioned. Any more pics possible? I'm not an expert by any means , so maybe someone else may chime in with some help.

Maybe when it's that close but just won't seat, a light tap or two with a rubber mallet might be enough to finish seating it so the latch can be rotated down.

Last edited by rightside; July 26, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old July 26, 2014, 06:44 PM   #5
tangolima

There is a lever next to the rear sight. That lever needs to be pushed all the way up for the rear end of the gas tube to drop in position. Then the lever needs to go all the way down to lock the gas tube in.

-TL
Old July 26, 2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Blindstitch

Look at the rear sight and the angle that little handle sits at might need to be lifted and lowered to get it to sit in right. I don't know the exact terminology but I have one and had trouble dropping it back in until I examined the angle that sight lever was on so I could make a straight drop in.
Old July 27, 2014, 12:58 AM   #7
at360

video link

Heres what I'm dealing with
http://youtu.be/SoxU77TXxKc
Old July 27, 2014, 05:26 AM   #8
rightside

So, your problem is that the lever won't rotate to the locked position after you reinstall the gas tube. Correct? It looks and sounds like your gas tube is seating correctly. You might try a bit, just a bit more persuasion on the lever , to get it started rotating downward. At least that's what I'm seeing. It may pull that last bit of seating with it. The wood on those old Chinese sks's are often swollen with oil and grease( that's what it looks like anyway) Correct me if I have it wrong. That can keep it from that tiny bit more you need for the lever to start downward. You may even have to lift it up a little while pushing the lever down for it to start moving.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Blindstitch

Did it go in yet?

Tags
bolt action rifle , gas tube , sks , sks norinco chinese