The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 10, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Firefighter88

Nikon BDC vs Leupold CDS

I want the good, the bad, and the ugly on Nikons bullet drop compensating reticle, and Leupolds control dial system. Which is more reliable, most accurate, and most practical....thanks
Old July 10, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
COSteve

Can't tell you about the Leupold but the Nikon BDC is crisp and clear. Further, you can click on Nikon Hunting website's 'Spot On' program and plug your specific commercial ammo (or if handloads, then select the specific bullet and velocity), select the sight in range, select your specific scope and it will calculate the exact yardage for 13 additional aim points under the cross hairs.

Here's the calculation for my 68grn Hornady .223 handloads out of my son's Savage 10 that wears a new 4-16x50 Nikon Monarch with BDC. You specify the sighted in distance (100 yds in this case) and the program calculates the other values. We've tried it out to 300 yds and it seems to be very close. With this taped to the stock and a laser rangefinder, it would be hard to say a miss wasn't your fault as long as you could read the wind correctly.

BTW, it looks nice on his rifle too.

Old July 10, 2012, 12:37 PM   #3
wogpotter

I'll second that for the Nikon reticule. Mine is set up for .303 Brit & is dead on all the way through the range.

I set it up initially at 100 yds as that was the longest range I could get to easily. When I got a chance I confirmed the 300yd setting & made adjustments for the 300yd aim point just to fine tune the setup. When I got back to the 100yd range I shot a few groups with the 100 yd cross hair & they were also dead bang on.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 10, 2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Firefighter88

Is the 4.5-14x nikon scope noticably larger than the 3-9x... I am shopping for a scope for my winchester model 70 featherweight. Leaning towards the nikon buckmaster. Also considered the leupy ( VX-2 CDS) because of smaller and lighter feel. Ultimately its coming down to the BDC vs CDS as above. I'm not really scared of added weight, i want a decent power of magnification, i just dont want a cartoon lookin scope on my featherweight. Thanks for the info on the BDC so far!
Old July 10, 2012, 02:26 PM   #5
603Country

I just don't like those round dots that Nikon uses. My first choice would be the Leupold Varmint Hunter range lines. Much better for fine work at distance.
Old July 10, 2012, 04:24 PM   #6
wogpotter

They're more like rings, or donuts than circles. This has the advantage of giving 2 aiming points per circle, or centering. I do wish they'd made the sizes different though, that way they could be used as ranging aids as well.

If bulk is a concideration look at the 2~8 also, theres very little difference between 8X & 9X, but a reasonable difference in bulk between the 2 scopes.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 11, 2012, 12:45 PM   #7
huntinaz

I personally like the Nikon BDC, my only advice would be to test the drop points with your rifle at the range to see how they match up. The odds of your rifle shooting a factory load at the exact advertised speed is probably not good. You can use the "spot on" program to get an idea but I'd test it for myself before hunting with it.

I have a Monarch, I handload my ammunition and don't have a chronograph so I had to figure the drop points for myself. I like the BDC reticle and do not find the circles distracting.

I haven't used the Leupold CDS but I imagine is it also good.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:43 PM   #8
PhiDelt374

I love my BDC that I recently put on my .270. works great through the entire range as long as you study up on it (i.e. nikon's website, etc). ps Winchester makes an app for iphones, ipads, ipods, etc that you can input all your info and it tells you where to aim to compensate (including windage). put those together and you'll never miss
Old July 11, 2012, 04:32 PM   #9
SerenityNetworks

I love the BDC and have found it to be 'spot on' (pun intended). Having the Android app with me when at the field is handy too - although I print the card to take hunting. My only issue with my Prostaff 3-9x50 is that the 9x is becoming limiting (but that's another thread). I can't comment on the Leupold.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge
Old July 11, 2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Firefighter88

Thanks for the info! I think I'm gonna buy the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 BDC this weekend in matte black! Gonna look good on my Win model 70 fwt. I hope it fits on my leupold STD one piece base with low rings.(but thats another thread too!!)
Old July 11, 2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

I have two Nikon Monarchs with the BDC. To be honest, I don't use the BDC at all, but the scope itself is excellent. It holds zero very well, it's clear and pulls in a ton of light.

You could do much worse than buying a Nikon. I think you will be very pleased with yours.
Old July 14, 2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Firefighter88

Going scope shopping today. I think i'm gonna stretch my budget and get the monarch. Either 2.5-10x or the 3-12x...gonna be better than christmas!