The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 3, 2009, 08:43 PM   #26
Dave R

Shot one while I was out "whistle pig" hunting. Yup, they are smelly.

My dog killed a juvenile badger* and buried it in the sand around the kids play area. We wondered what the smell was...

* She's a 110lb Akita/Bernard mix. But I doubt she could kill an adult badger.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:38 PM   #27
banditt007

Langenc, Illegal to shoot while it was in the trap? The moron that made that law should be on call to dispatch any caught badger in the trap. I bet that law would get changed fast. Good thing they did eventually change it....

Someone mentioned a Wolverine... has anyone seen one in the wild? I think that would be the sight of a lifetime.
Old July 4, 2009, 10:04 AM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Some hog tusk as well and use to show folks how they cut paper like a razor.
And folks think I am a sissy for wanting no less than big bore gun for hog killin'.
If you have ever handled the stinky end of a wild hog, you give a ton more respect for the pointy end!
Brent
Old July 4, 2009, 10:48 AM   #29
tmd11111

Years ago when I was stationed at Ft. Riley I came across one while Quail hunting. Scared the SH** out of me. We did reach an agreement though. It wouldn't attack me if I stayed away from it's den and I wouldn't p!$$ him off by trying to shoot him with #8 shot (that's all I had on me and I didnt think it was enough).
Old July 6, 2009, 05:29 PM   #30
cheff

Me and my bud killed one in Idaho while Whistle pig hunting. We were driving the grass lands of east Idaho when we spotted the badger. We jump out of the truck with a .22lr and a 12ga with 3 1/2" turkey loads. I gave chase with the shotgun, when it was about 20 feet from me he turned and started coming at me. I took the first shot and rolled him. He got up and started at me again. By this time my bud was there with the .22 and emptied 25rnd clip at the beast as I took my second shot with the 12ga. Rolled him again, and he got up and started moving towards us but kind of slow. I put the last 12ga in to him when he was about 5ft from me. That last shot stopped the nasty critter.

When we skinned it, we found almost all 25 rounds of .22lr in the neck area. Only one went through and killed it. The turkey loads were just ******* him off.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:37 PM   #31
30-30remchester

Congradulations on a nice trophy. However I have to disagree with you on the being nasty animals. They do however have a strong odor as do most predators. If you think they stink you should smell a mountain lion, coyote or bear. These animals have failed their personal hygene class. Badgers are neat animals to watch at work aka hunt. They are a problem to the land owner as they will dig prairie dogs from their dens thus leaving large hole to contend with. I can see where a farmer or rancher would not want them on their land but to just hate and dislike them because they are agressive and smell bad you wouldnt like my family reuions. I live in badger country and see quite a few every year and take only those on ranchers lands that dont want them. Otherwise I just watch and admire.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:49 PM   #32
FrontSight

Awesome!
Old July 6, 2009, 10:44 PM   #33
Fat White Boy

I was watching a nature show that had a fight between a Badger and a Wolverine... The noises the two animals made while fighting were not of this earth...
Old July 6, 2009, 10:55 PM   #34
barnetmill

Quote:
Fatboy: I was watching a nature show that had a fight between a Badger and a Wolverine... The noises the two animals made while fighting were not of this earth...
Who won the fight?
I have heard badgers in the Zoo growling at one another. It did not sound to bad to me.
An uncle told me he ran one over years ago with a model T and the badger seemed not to be hurt at all. He said when you skin them they have an impressive musculature.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:50 PM   #35
Fat White Boy

I think mutual respect made it a draw...
Old July 22, 2009, 05:35 PM   #36
azar92

I've have come across my fair share of badgers in the wild. Thankfully, all were from a safe enough distance and none of them decided to cop an attitude. Badgers can be mean, nasty little critters when pressed.

When my dad was younger he was driving a truck down a graveled country lane when he hit a badger. He had his .22 pistol with him and decided to get out of the truck and put it down (if it wasn't dead already). As he gets out of the truck and starts to approach, the little devil hops up, snarls, and charges. My dad unloaded the .22 pistol into him but the badger just kept coming. So he got back into the truck, threw it in reverse, and hit him again! He then drove forward (over him again, IIRC) and this time just kept going...

Lesson learned.