The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 14, 2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Jack O'Conner

Truth about elk hunting

This bull was photographed in Custer County, South Dakota. I'd guess its weight at 750 to 825 lbs. A very large bull!

Yet vast majority of un-guided non resident hunters who head west each year will not see a bull of this quality. At best, they can expect a smallish to medium sized bull or cow elk of similar size. 600 lb elk are quite common indeed!

The dream of a 400 yard shot at a trophy bull is what helps sell magnum rifles. But the truth is that a 225 yard shot at a 600 lb animal is what most of us will actually experience. Plain rifles such as 30-06, .308, 7mm-08 and many others get the job done nicely without any problems at all.
Jack
Old March 17, 2006, 02:26 PM   #2
9mm_prn

Quote:
Yet vast majority of un-guided non resident hunters who head west each year will not see a bull of this quality. At best, they can expect a smallish to medium sized bull or cow elk of similar size. 600 lb elk are quite common indeed!
Thats right. Anyone who plans on coming to Oregon and hunting the Roosevelt in the coast range may as well stay home! There are no trophy elk here. really... stay home... nothing to see here... really....

Seriously though, I agree it is very tough for non-residents to bag trophy animals with out a guide. I spend alot of time scouting prior to bow season every year and still can't allways bring home the back strap.
Old April 2, 2006, 01:17 AM   #3
guntotin_fool

funny you say that..... did you know that with in a few miles of chicago there is a wild elk herd? with big bulls, my mom once got a 6x6......with her car. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=News&id=565404 it free roams a fairly large area northwest of chicago.
Old April 2, 2006, 02:29 AM   #4
9mm_prn

Mmmm. Elk sausage combo at a Portillo's near Busse Woods...

I wonder if they bugle in a Chicago accent?