The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 28, 2014, 11:38 PM   #1
Rmagnum1183

.410 slugs in Raging Judge Magnum

has anyone extensively tested this load? I have shot 45 colt and 454 casull through a scope and hit paper, but when i shoot the .410 slugs i dont hit paper at all.. thoughts?
Old August 29, 2014, 04:48 AM   #2
Micahweeks

I've shot a 410 slug out of one of these guns, but I don't remember if it was the regular judge or the Raging one or what. I remember that it shot ridiculously high.
Old August 29, 2014, 11:29 AM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

If you think about it, a .410 slug is way undersized for a .45-caliber bore.
Hollow-based Foster style slugs can bump up with ignition pressures, but they're not built for accuracy in a .45-caliber rifled barrel.

Actual slug diameter varies from maker to maker, and can be even smaller than .41 caliber.

The Judge platform is a compromise.
It produces low-velocity results with buck and a rapid short-range spread, indifferent accuracy & low energy figure with lightweight undersized slugs, and generally isn't all that accurate with .45 Colt loads.

It can shoot three different types of ammunition, but not particularly well with any of them.
Denis
Old August 29, 2014, 08:28 PM   #4
walks with gun

Sorry but I've always thought the whole 410 revolver concept was a freak. I think they were intended for people who are not really hard core shooters. I 've shot some belonging to others and have not been impressed. Loaded with buck or heavy shot I could see them useful in a small room or if you lived somewhere carjackings were common. Ouch.
Old August 29, 2014, 11:34 PM   #5
Cosmodragoon

I think the idea of a hand-held light shot gun is wonderful. I think the models we've got exist under some legal technicality from a blatantly unconstitutional law that is mashing up the market. I'd gladly buy one that was strictly and optimally fitted for .410. Sadly, I don't have the opportunity.

That said, the OP wants to know about slugs. I'd remind the OP what a slug is for shotguns and ask if a properly loaded round of .45 Colt doesn't suffice here. After all, this is a .45 that happens to shoot .410...
Old August 30, 2014, 12:03 AM   #6
Onward Allusion

.410 slug is about .387. A .45LC has a slug diameter of .452.

It's kind of like shooting a 22LR bullet out of a Ruger Single Six Convertible (22LR/22Mag), except a heck of a lot worst. You're losing accuracy and energy by shooting a 410 slug out of something that can also shoot 45LC.

Stick to 45LC or 454 out of that gun. 410 out of 'em is a waste.
Old August 30, 2014, 12:54 AM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

Slug diameters vary, I've measured three or four.
All will be grossly undersized for a .45-caliber bore, regardless of maker.
All will also provide worse accuracy & lower energy figures & lesser penetration than a full-bore solid .45 bullet at a much heavier weight.

I see no reason whatever to use a .410 slug, unless it's all you have.
Why bother?
Denis