The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 27, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1
jwb45

Remington 51

I have just obtained from my father's estate and know nothing about the gun.
Serial Number is PA24382 and has Remington UMC on the grip. I would like to know date of manufacture and general information, and also of course it's potential value. It does have one clip. Thanks

Caliber is 380ACP and the condition is good. Fires well. I think that it is in good condition.
Two photographs are attached to my post in the The SemiAuto Forum.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1303306059
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1303306059
Thanks
Old April 28, 2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Scorch

Some information here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_51

As far as getting information regarding your personal piece, you can send info to the person who manages this page
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/research/Model51
Old April 28, 2011, 03:09 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Every time someone asks about the Remington 51, I have to warn against trying to pry off the grips, as they are easily broken. If you must remove the grips, push the grip safety pin (at the bottom rear of the butt) in flush on one side and slide the grip on that side down and off, then do the same on the other side.

Jim
Old April 28, 2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Speedway

I have one.

They were way ahead of their time. This gun was built using added ingenuity. John Moses Browning had copyrighted all of the good gun designs, so it was very tough for Pedersen to make a pistol that did not infringe on Brownings patents.

I shoot mine on occasion. Its a blast to shoot.

They have 2 different slide variations.

Enjoy it.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:25 PM   #5
PetahW

IIRC, the DOM of the OP's P-51 is about 1922.

Old April 29, 2011, 06:17 AM   #6
Winchester_73

Judging by the pics, the gun looks badly worn and possibly pitted with rust. The 380 version is more common than the 32 version by a long shot. Given the condition and caliber, I put the value at $250 to $300. Even though they're rather uncommon today, they're not rare, partly because many survived due to their high quality. Approx 65k were made IIRC, with 55k being 380 and the rest being 32. I'm lucky enough to own a 32 and the 380 I had I gave to my uncle as a Christmas gift.

Last edited by Winchester_73; April 29, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:49 AM   #7
grumpa72

I recently picked up a Model 51 that is from the second year of production, very early serial number and very nice condition. This is one beautiful pistol, both from a cosmetic point of view and from a design point of view. I love it and hope that yours is as functionally nice as mine is. Mine is early enough that it has a HORRIBLE trigger pull but that was apparently designed out in the models produced later. This is a well known issue with the earliest serial numbers.

The only bad thing is that finding replacement springs and such can be a problem. Wolff gun springs makes springs for lots of pistols and rifles but the Model 51 is not one of them.

Enjoy your pistol.
Old April 29, 2011, 11:42 PM   #8
gyvel

Be extra cautious as to what loads you put through your gun. They're not intended for hot rounds. The rear end of the breechblock where the little roller is pinned is very fragile and prone to cracking.
Old April 30, 2011, 04:17 PM   #9
publius

Very cool, I've always wanted one.
Old May 1, 2011, 04:41 PM   #10
ACP230

I am buying one in .380.
Have only handled it so far.
It's a pistol with a very good feel in the hand.
I expect to shoot it but probably not a whole lot.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
joe-lumber

I have a Remington 51 that came with the original magazine. But a replacement magazine has given me problems in ejecting and loading a new round. I find that I have to hold the grip saftey very hard to get it to reload a new round but it still fails most of the time. The older real magazine works every time. Early in the week I went to the range and the first 10 shots worked okay but then it started not ejecting properly. Can't really tell if it's me or the gun.
J
Old April 5, 2013, 11:23 AM   #12
tahunua001

you may be better off starting a new thread rather than resurrecting a 2 year old one. a lot of comments are going to be in regard to the OP as some are too lazy to read the entire thread(like myself) or look at date stamps.

do you have all of those problems with the original mag as well or just the replacement mag? if it's the replacement magazine only then I would suggest taking it to a skilled gunsmith and having him modify the magazine to meet the exact specifications of the original, many replacement magazines currently availiable suck in C&R guns.

another thing you could try is a thorough cleaning and lubing and paying special attention to the grip safety.

Tags
380acp , remington 51. 380 caliber