The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2005, 09:53 PM   #1
btplus

Lee Loadmaster press

Can anyone say anything good or bad about this machine. Have the chance to buy reasonable, but would like to know what I am getting to.
Old April 28, 2005, 10:42 PM   #2
rwilson452

loadmaster

I have one, with all the trimmings. Short commings, It's real touchy to set up for the first time. Sometimes the primer feeder needs an extra nudge because the primers will "bridge" in the hopper. When properly set up it will produce ammo with amazing sameness. that doesn't mean that it will be more accurate, that's up to you. once I got it set up right it has produced 1000's of .45 and 38SPL ammo in progressive mode. I don't do rifle in progressive mode as I prefer to trickle charge and such. it does hold COAL to a very tight tolorance. I'm happy with the Lee factory crimp dies. another downfall is it doesn't have a low powder warning as the Dillon does so watch your levels. Yes, I have both the multiple tube case and bullet feeders. Don't fill the bullet feeder tubes all the way up if your using 200 gr. or greater bullets About 2/3 load seems right.

READ the DIRECTIONS!!!
Old April 29, 2005, 12:26 AM   #3
cheygriz

I don't mean to criticize the Loadmaster, but my advice is to save your money for a while and get a Dillon. A good progressive reloader is a lifetime investment that you pass on to your children if you buy top quality from the beginning.

Over the course of my 61 years on this planet, almost every time I've bought a "bargain" I've regretted it eventually. In my experience, the most expensive item available is almost always the cheapest in the long run. I've found that top quality doesn't cost, it pays!
Old April 29, 2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Zekewolf

I can't think of a worse idea than a bullet feeder that uses plastic fingers and requires that the tubes be loaded one-bullet-at-a-time. Exactly what are you accomplishing with such a monstrosity?

I agree with Cheygriz that spending a bit more on a better machine would be the prudent choice.
Old April 29, 2005, 04:50 PM   #5
armabill

My experiences with the LoadMaster was so bad that I finally sold it and got a Dillon 550B.

The flipper would wear and the primer system sucked big time.