The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2002, 11:46 PM   #1
Musky Hunter

Just purchased a Beretta 92FS.

Hi, just bought a Beretta 92FS.

I would like to know some reviews on the pistols.

How are the sights? Where would be the POA at 20 yards? Bullseye or 6 O'Clock?

What accessories or add-ons / modifications would i need to buy?

I already got 500 rounds waiting for it.

Musky Hunter.
Old October 13, 2002, 12:04 AM   #2
Jamie Young

Congrats!

Use good mags and shoot good ammo and you shouldn't have any problems.

What are you going to use your 92FS for? I personally don't have any need for modifications. Its just a CCW gun.
Old October 13, 2002, 12:07 AM   #3
Musky Hunter

I will use it for range only

I am going to use it for the range only. It isnt for carry or home defense. I already got a other pistols for all that stuff.

Ryan
Old October 13, 2002, 02:10 AM   #4
Kermit

Normally, I like to shoot it a little, then try to see what I may need to enhance the shooting experience....usually only need more ammo & range time
Old October 13, 2002, 03:04 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

"usually only need more ammo & range time."

That's what they all say before IDPA or 3 Gun Matches.
Old October 13, 2002, 05:55 AM   #6
Baron Holbach

Beretta 92FS

Musky, I have the blue Beretta 92FS. I have put approximately 1,000 rounds through it without any problems. The gun shoots slightly low but the groups are tight at 25 feet. I use Breakfree CLP to lube the rails and slide before each shooting session. The owner's manual recommends keeping the gun lubed. It is a great pistol and you will love your 92FS.
Old October 13, 2002, 06:33 AM   #7
PeacefulWarrior

Carried one for years and have few complaints. The Beretta will fire dirty before it will fire dry,so keep it lubed. Use good ammo and a quality mag and you should be good to go. About the only thing I would do to it is put a pair of Hogue grips on her. If you use any other grips be careful of the fit especially near the trigger bar on the right side of the weapon. Enjoy
Old October 13, 2002, 08:07 AM   #8
notos&w

musky, here's what you need to do if it is gonna be a range gun.

buy a mainspring for a 1911 and a D model hammer spring from beretta. this will so greatly improve your trigger pull you probably wont want to get a trigger job. if you do, send it here:

www.handgunneroutlet.com or
www.langdontactical.com

where the gun shoots will vary b/w shooters and guns. youll have to try this one out to determine that. some are said to shoot low, or very low, but this is usually w/ inexperienced shooters if you get my drift.

youll enjoy the gun im sure of it.
Old October 13, 2002, 11:11 AM   #9
croyance

Beretta 92's are large for most hands, though they may be perfect for yours. There are some frame variations for those who cannot palm a basketball.
Point of aim will change with ammo, in any gun. Mine shoots point of aim.
Really, I don't see any need for modifications, although some may like a better trigger feel. Night sights may be in order if it is a CCW or home defense gun.
I personally prefer hard plastic grips for everything except aethetics.
Mine feeds everything and has had no problems. The trigger slack will horrify those used to tuned 1911 triggers, but is really no worse than most guns. There is little trigger creep, which is far more important to me.
Old October 13, 2002, 01:30 PM   #10
Musky Hunter

Can someone please tell me if changing the hammer spring is hard? i am not pistolsmith, so i hope it is drop in part.

Can someone please tell me how to field strip the pistol correctly? the manual sucks. LOL. Is there a expanded picture of all the parts and accessories of a 92fs? i cant seem to find one for a beretta.

Musky Hunter
Old October 13, 2002, 03:23 PM   #11
Brasso

To change the hammer spring all you have to do is unscrew the lanyard loop. It will come out and the hammer spring behind it. Just replace in same order.
Old October 13, 2002, 04:17 PM   #12
Labuyo

The lanyard loop is held by a pin, its not threaded! Take the grips off and punch/push ther pin out to release the lanyard loop.
Old October 13, 2002, 11:06 PM   #13
Musky Hunter

i guess i will shoot the 500 rounds and then decide what i need to change.

What are the general springs and parts you need to change for normal wear and tear? is there a round count for each part?

Musky Hunter
Old October 13, 2002, 11:16 PM   #14
Logistar

If it is going to be a range gun (and probably even if it isn't) you might want to replace the hammer spring. Mine was WAY too hard to pull. I ordered the "hammer spring pak" from Wolff. - - Came with 16,17,18,and 19lb springs so you can try them all out. Cost me $15.84 with shipping. - Had it three days after placing the order online.

As for replacing the hammer spring... couldn't be much easier. Just remove the grips. Then... while applying pressure to that "round black piece" on the very bottom of the handle (forgot the term for it) push the pin out (I used a Q-tip without the cotton on the end) and then ease the pressure on that black piece and let the spring come out. Put the new one in the same way, put the grips back on and you are done.

Makes a GREAT difference in the trigger!

Logistar
Old October 13, 2002, 11:26 PM   #15
Musky Hunter

So i should buy the spring kit from wolff or the type D spring. What pound spring is the type D. Do i need to change the recoil spring?

Musky Hunter
Old October 13, 2002, 11:30 PM   #16
Ignatius

Musky,
Just picked up my brand new 92FS this weekend, too! I was beginning to think that I was the only guy left who still liked the 92 style, fit, and function. Going to take advantage of Columbus Day to get some practice in.

Enjoy.
Old October 13, 2002, 11:40 PM   #17
defox

MH:

Good buy. If you wanted a pure range Beretta did you consider the Elite 2. It has the mods. you want and more..
Old October 14, 2002, 05:17 AM   #18
Radagast

G'day Musky Hunter!

I picked up My 92 G Elite II on friday after a 5 month wait.

For details on field stripping etc, check out http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6078/92f.htm

For an exploded view of the firearm try http://web.tampabay.rr.com/paten/

For a pro trigger job Ernest Langdon of IDPA fame seems to be the favourite on the Beretta forum. If you can't send your gun to him he can tune up the nessecary parts and mail them to you to drop in, he calls it a trigger job in a bag.
http://www.langdontactical.com/

For a review of a Langdon modified gun try http://www.arcanum.net/~insane/ltt.html

If you want to work on your gun yourself, Brownells sell the complete tool kit at http://www.brownells.com/Product/pro...0&CategoryID=0

Then visit www.berettaforum.com and search on sear polishing to learn how to do it yourself.

For a couple of very good essays on trigger control with the Beretta, read ToddGs posts at http://www.berettaforum.net/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000086.html
and
http://www.berettaforum.net/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000084.html

Todd works for Beretta, is a regular poster on the Beretta Forum and is apparently a pretty good IDPA shooter as well.

The sights are 'drive the dots' style; place the dot on the front sight in the centre of the target, as thats your point of aim/point of impact. A six o'clock bullseye hold will result in rounds hitting at six o'clock or slightly lower.

Night sights are every ones favourite add on with the 92 FS you need to send the slide to trijicon to have the front post drilled and a tritium capsule fitted.

The D model hammer spring is probably 18 pounds, AFAIK Beretta don't publish the actual spring weight. There was a post on the Beretta forum that claimed the standard spring is 22 pounds.
I have a S&W model 66 and the double action trigger draw on the Elite II is basically identical in weight and distance to the revolver. The single action let off is maybe twice that of the revolver. i highly recommend the d model spring if you are going to be doing any double action shooting.

There is no need to replace the recoil spring. Some people prefer the stainless steel guide rod to the current plastic one, I doubt there would be a difference in life span, after all Glocks have always had plastic rods.
You can fool around with the trigger return spring, Wolf make a couple of variants, I doubt there is much improvement to be had though.

Regards,

Radagast
Old October 14, 2002, 01:32 PM   #19
Musky Hunter

Thanxs Radagast, your info was very informative.
Old October 14, 2002, 06:32 PM   #20
Robby from Long Island

Hey Musky Hunter,

You bought a great gun. I purchased my 92FS ten years ago with no modifications since and in all that time it has never misfired or had any type of failure.

If you take the basic precautions for your gun as you would one of your better tools, it'll last a lifetime.

Safe shooting.
Old October 14, 2002, 08:12 PM   #21
billkrom

Beretta 92's

Keep lots of oil on the outside of the barrel - they will rust and Baretta will tell you, "Yea, we know - it's your problem but for a fee we will recoat it!"
Old October 14, 2002, 08:36 PM   #22
Logistar

Quote:
So i should buy the spring kit from wolff or the type D spring. What pound spring is the type D. Do i need to change the recoil spring?
I am not familiar with the D spring but having the 16, 17, 18, AND 19 lb springs come together, you can decide which one works best for you although I wouldn't want anything heavier than the 16 lb spring myself.

I installed a recoil spring today and tried it out. I went to one more lb over the standard. I am shooting "typical loads" such as Winchester White Box 115gr. I noticed that the casings fall about 1 to 1.5 feet closer to me. Operation is fine.

I just didn't want to slam the slide back any harder than necessary. Actually, right now, I probably wouldn't replace the recoil spring if I had it to do over again. I don't think it makes that much difference unless you KNOW you will be shooting HEAVY loads (like +P+).

- FWIW

Logistar
Old October 15, 2002, 03:51 AM   #23
BigMike

I ordered the "D" model mainspring from Beretta for my Brig 92FS, for $2.24 shipped. Wolf will cost more $.

Mike
Old October 15, 2002, 05:22 PM   #24
support_six

...and after many others have said it, I will again say "keep the frame rails/slide lubed. It doesn't need a lot of lube but does need a little often. Don't think that putting a lot on will allow you to go longer -- it just flows all over inside where it doesn't belong. Just as you would check the air in your tires and oil level every week, check your Beretta for lube on the frame/slide mating surfaces.

Many people talk about "bad magazines" and failures to feed. I have found that half the FTF's are attributable to not enough lube on the frame/slide. A lack of lube causes more friction which slows the slide down to a point it may not strip the next round.

The above is appropriate for most guns. It is not just a Beretta thing. I had an Italian 92FS and loved it. ...should have never sold it. I have a 96FS now and love the power in the large package!

Bruce
Old October 15, 2002, 05:55 PM   #25
HKguy9

Carbon fiber grips.

You know you want 'em.