The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1
coastie24

Anxious for Turkey Season...

Hey everyone... I am fairly new to turkey hunting. I participated both spring and fall last year in CT. I hunt on about 65 acres in a very densly populated area. To make a long story short, my hunting partner and I heard lots of turkey during spring... but could never call them in. I wanted to know if you guys recomend any books, videos, or other forms of media to help me call in a tom.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:37 PM   #2
jckeffer

The best way is to go to your local farms supply and buy a couple of baby turkeys and raise them until Thanksgiving. Listen to the hens at various times of the day. The hens have a variety of calls, most of which can be re-created using a simple slate and striker call. I did this simply because I could (little 8 arce piece of property)

The next best alternative is to download turkey calls from the internet (try http://www.nwtf.org/special_events/c...key_calls.html) and listen to them. I downloaded calls onto my son's old iPod and added an external speaker. Works great where electonic calls are legal and equally as good for practicing.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Doyle

One thing you have to remember is that if a tom (or group of toms) already has a mature dominant hen with him, he is going to be much less likely to come to your call. That can make for a frustrating hunt. One of the ways to help overcome that is by using a couple of hen decoys (or one hen and one tom decoy). Hens can get just as territorial as the toms and if they see a strange hen in their area (the decoy), they may come check it out and give you a chance for a shot at the tom she drags along.