The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2008, 10:44 PM   #1
RobertS

Lyman M Die

Are the Lyman M Dies better for cast bullets? I have read they are great for such bullets, but I always like to hear real world experience from other folks.

Using my current expanding die, it appears that the bullet doesn't always seat straight due to the round belling on the case. As the bullet is seated it becomes undersized and un-round by the time it reaches seating depth. I have pulled several bullets from un-crimped cases to verify that a sized, lubed and round .452 bullet becomes a swaggered down and un-round .450/.451 bullet. Also noted from Lyman, the M die's plug works deeper in the case than other dies which looks to be possibly more of the issue than the round belling. I had set my current expanding die to flare the case enough to just have the base a bullet fit in the case and did test with seating depth. I found that the further I seated the softer bullets the worse things became. I see this more in the 45 auto as I cast my bullets softer at about 11-13 bhn. Having a bullet undersized is a huge problem for accuracy and leading which are actually very much interrelated.

Any opinions on the Lyman M Dies?
Old September 22, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Scorch

One advantage to the Lyman M die is that it does not just flare the mouth of the case, it enlarges a portion of the case about 1/16" deep to allow the bullet to be started into the case. Another advantage is that it does not shave lead nearly as bad as other dies.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Any Lyman M design patent has long been expired. Redding uses that expander profile now, too. I'm sure others do also, but don't know who, off the top of my head? It lets the bullet start in straighter than a standard bell flare. Bullet tip affects cast bullet accuracy much more that jacket bullets because the lead bullets tend to swage into the bore at whatever angle they start out at, while jackets are hard enough to realign the bullet most of the way as it enters the throat.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 23, 2008, 11:26 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

absolutely

I always started with a Lyman 4-die Deluxe set; I still most highly recommend them as a first or only set.

(Not only does it 'flare' right, one may install a powder measure on top, reducing steps).
Old September 23, 2008, 09:48 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

Not all Lyman M dies are hollow for use with a PM.

Andy
Old September 23, 2008, 10:49 PM   #6
RobertS

Lyman M Dies are not hollow, but their Multi-Expand/Powder Charge Die System is.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm
Old September 24, 2008, 01:13 AM   #7
HOGGHEAD

M-Die

I have one for every cartridge that I reload cast bullets in. The die just works. Tom.