The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Japle

SA XDs 3.3 .45 range report.

I didn’t actually need another concealable pistol, but when has that ever mattered?

I cleaned the gun, lubed it and drove over to see a buddy with a big chunk of land and a safe place to shoot. I started with some sort-of hardball equivalent handloads using 200 gr FMJs. Perfect function, shot an inch or so low at 20 yds.

Switched to a 200 gr plated HP that has proven to be problematic in some of my .45s. Perfect function, shot an inch or so low at 20 yds.

I had 12 Federal HST 230 gr rounds and I ran them through the gun. Again, perfect function and this time it shot right at the top of the front sight, exactly where I want a defensive pistol to shoot.

The trigger on this gun is stiff. It’s smooth, with a long take-up, but it stacks heavily just before the sear releases. From what I read, that’s pretty normal in post-recall XDs pistols. Accuracy is minute-of-aorta.

I’ve been shooting .45s for over 45 years and to me, the XDs .45 has trivial recoil. It’s totally comfortable to shoot. I put about 50 rounds through it and had no issues of any kind. I have pretty small hands and, with the 5 round mag, I could get all 3 fingers on the grip.

I ordered 100 rounds of HST and will carry some good old HydraShoks until it comes in.

Old April 20, 2015, 10:13 PM   #2
sliponby

If you were shooting at that small target at 20 yds. - that's pretty good shooting with a compact .45 cal. I've got one of those bad boys too. The manageable recoil always surprises anyone I've convinced to give it a try. I only offer it to experienced shooters though. You do have to be ready and "man up" with the XDs in .45 cal. Not a good pistol for the beginners or novice shooters.
Old April 20, 2015, 11:04 PM   #3
SVTCobra306

I still have my pre-recall XDS 45. It won't get sent in unless I experience a real malfunction with it. Two years and hundreds of rounds later, no issues. It does indeed let you know it's a small .45 when you shoot it, no question about that.

Interestingly, mine doesn't seem to like the HST's, but it feeds Hydra Shoks and Hornady CD's very well, along with every kind of ball ammo I've tried.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor