The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2010, 10:09 AM   #51
Dr Killdeer

Very touchy subject, but as long as the stars and stripes are still flying on Pennsylvania Avenue, I have a right to throw in my two cents.

I have a Ruger M77V with the bull barrel in 220 Swift. I took it to camp one year as a back-up rifle and due to scope problems with my 270, I ended up having to use it as my primary rifle.

I’ll spare you the details, except to say that I’ll never level crosshairs on a deer with anything smaller than a 243.

We’re fast becoming a minority in light of the rising tide of anti-gun people and animal activists. We all know that teaching young kids to hunt is essential to the future of our sport and I agree with it wholeheartedly, but some things are better left unsaid. A six year old, hunting deer….with what caliber?

Don’t be offended, because your intentions are honorable, but you’re the one who ran it up the flagpole. Some saluted it and some shot at it. That’s what Americans do!

Good luck this year!
Old September 10, 2010, 12:12 AM   #52
Tex S

Quote:
I've taken several deer with the 45gr hornet sp all lung shots,and if im just out sitting all of them dropped on the spot I couldnt believe it at first,the wife used it for a couple of yrs also and took 1 dropped on the spot with a lung shot,the only thing I disliked was that after the deer has been hanging awhile it shows lots of bloodshot ,so I started trimming around the entrance hole a little.
Why am I not surprised that the guy who wrote this "sentence" also hunts deer with a Hornet?

:barf:
Old September 15, 2010, 09:50 AM   #53
DANNY-L

I've taken several (about 10)with 45gr.hornet bullets,all lung shots and it will suprise people that the 45gr bullet can drop deer in its tracks,I've never lost a deer with it,neither has the wife.Never trailed one more than 75-100yds either. I did try loading 55gr sp but they wouldnt stabalize in my handi rifle so I stuck with what works.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:34 AM   #54
SirRonald

22 Hornet or 223 Deer kill

In Alaska the natives there actually hunt Polar Bear with a 22 Hornet and know of kill shots on Deer with that round each season. And the 223 easily drop deer but if you use it on a Hog or Pig he dies after running away from the shot. An cheap SKS kills the easily though. An SKS/AK-47 is more powerful than the 223 yet not real accurate but hit with the energy of a 30-30. But i shoot at the range at 300 yards so am a decent shot so i aim at the vital organs. Last Deer kill was with an SKS before that i used a Mosin Nagant at 7.62x54. But the AR 15 i own or the Mini14 drop deer here easily.
SirRonald
Old November 21, 2010, 11:12 AM   #55
Buzzard Bait

remember she is the future of our sport

You might try a barnes 45 gr in your hornet but might not be stable. I think that the standard normal hornet load that would expand very rapidly and send out lots of fragments might be the better choice. If you restrict her shots to broad side 100 yard or less the light bullet will destroy both lungs and do the job so to speak. I can tell you that I have been around several first deer events with young girls and boys and it is more fun and more rewarding than anything thing you have done while hunting yet. I like to get them shooting the gun at a deer target before the big event, Also take lots of pictures.
bb
Old November 21, 2010, 05:31 PM   #56
psychobily

dangle'n carrot

WOW, it's funny to see everyone's takes on this thread......

As several have mentioned in the past, you need to match the bullet to the barrel. First I would check what twist rate the barrel is and then match a bullet weight to that twist rate. And then I would load a ballistic tip varmint type bullet so that it explodes on impact. Then I would take my 6 year old girl to the range and let her practice. Once she's shooting quarter sized groups consistently she's ready.

Now some will argue that they have seen deer's mouths blown off and they still walk away, and that's true. So that's why I would use these ballistic tipped bullets and have her place the shot at the base of the head. Now if you look t that, it's a huge target.

If more American's would train their young'ns the right way at a young age you wouldn't have all the BS we see in this world today. But IMHO there's not enough people like you spending this type of quality time with their young'ns.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:52 PM   #57
nanuk-O-dah-Nort

I was looking for data for a Hornet and found this!

Holy Necrothread Batman! But I felt I had to comment!

it never ceases to amaze me at the "Holier than Thou" attitudes people have.

Good grief!

is some fellow is taking their kid out shooting, and has the confidence she can hit a doe at 40yds, I say GREAT!

I'll bet a case of beer that that little girl shoots more, and is a better shot that 2/3 of ALL hunters!

You know I'm right! EVERYONE has seen the idiot at the range, taking his obligatory 3 "Sight In" shots before season with his "Too Big for Him" machoMagnum! And is totally impressed with himself when he can hit the pie plate at 100yds.... "Ready to Go!"

To those of you who would attack the OP personally for his choice, I will say YOU are the reason there are so many Anti-Hunters! You make the rest of us look bad!

to the OP, any follow up? I'm interested in how your daughter did!

just did some gazintas
Barnes .224 45gr Barnes tsxFB.
222Rem: Muzzle = 3300fps : 220 yds = 2216fps 490fpe
22Hornet: Muzzle = 2450fps : 50 yds = 2237fps 500fpe

now... is anyone here going to tell me a 222Rem won't kill a deer, broadside at 220yds with a TSX??

Please, feel free to tell me the difference from the deer's perspective!
Old April 26, 2013, 10:03 PM   #58
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The OP hasn't been active for over 3 years and since there's no new information added by this "resurrection", I think we'll put it out of it's misery.
Closed Thread