The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2015, 10:23 AM   #1
MFitz

EAA SAR B6

While another hi-capacity 9mm was nowhere near the top of my wish-list and that 9 was supposed to be a CZ-75 - I couldn't pass up the opportunity recently to acquire a brand-new in box EAA SAR B6 (the all-metal one, not the B6P polymer framed model) for $299. I have not shot it yet (that will happen tomorrow) but so far it seems like a very high quality item and certainly a good value.

This one will be used primarily for making holes in paper at the range (to save wear and tear on my "classics"). I don't plan to use it as a carry weapon although at home it will serve as a backup home-defense gun to my Stoeger Double Defense 12ga.

There doesn't seem to be much on the interwebs about the B6 - all the Youtube video's and blog posts seem to concentrate on the B6P. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the B6, knows what magazines are compatible with it, etc, etc, etc,...

Thanks in advance

Fitz
Old April 13, 2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Japle

Google "EAA" and "customer service".

Then decide if you want to take a chance on an EAA pistol.

I had three Witness pistols. When my .45 started locking the slide open with rounds in the mag, I called EAA and spoke to Paul, their "gunsmith". He immediately accused me of shooting hot handloads in the gun (which was a fantasy), told me my warranty was void and hung up. I've lost track of the stories I've heard of him blaming the shooter, the ammo, handloads (even when the owner had never used them) and anything he didn't have to be responsible for. I sold my 9mm and .38 Super Witnesses rather than have to deal with EAA again. The .45 is a safe queen. I can't, in good conscience, sell it.

I've been building custom 1911's for 30 years and know my way around guns. I replaced parts and did everything I could think of to solve the problem, but short of grinding off the foot of the slide stop so that it won't function at all, I had no success.

I and many other people have had very bad experiences with EAA's "gunsmith". Others have said he treated them OK. I guess you take your chances. Best results seem to come when you have one of their high-end pistols.

The guns are made by Tanfoglio in Italy.
I spoke to Mr. Tanfoglio about EAA's customer service at the 2007 SHOT Show. He didn’t want to listen. He turned his back on me.
I got around in front of him and, at a range of about 2”, called him a whole string of names that I'd learned from SEALs. Made no impression at all.
He knows about EAA's reputation, but he doesn't seem to care.
Old April 14, 2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Skans

Quote:
The guns are made by Tanfoglio in Italy.
I spoke to Mr. Tanfoglio about EAA's customer service at the 2007 SHOT Show. He didn’t want to listen. He turned his back on me.
Would that be Mr. Giuseppe Tanfoglio?
Old April 14, 2015, 08:40 AM   #4
Japle

If I noticed his first name at the time, I don't remember. Short guy, maybe 5'7", stout, gray hair.

Rude!
Old April 14, 2015, 10:54 AM   #5
g.willikers

I had one EAA, one of the first .45 Witness.
One was enough, thanks and EAA didn't seem to have a clue what to do about it.
It was a long time ago and maybe they're improved.
Although their 9mm seemed to work well.
But none more for me.
Except for maybe the EAA Bounty Hunter six gun.
The folks who once made Hawes are rumored to be supposedly involved somehow.
The Hawes were just fine.
The SAR seems to be made in Turkey, not Italy, and apparently by Sarslimaz Arms, not by Tanfoglio.

Last edited by g.willikers; April 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old April 14, 2015, 07:58 PM   #6
mmb713

Quote:
I got around in front of him and, at a range of about 2”, called him a whole string of names that I'd learned from SEALs. Made no impression at all.
Quote:
If I noticed his first name at the time, I don't remember. Short guy, maybe 5'7", stout, gray hair.

Rude!
Sounds to me like he wasn't the only rude one in the conversation. You'll catch a lot more flies with honey. Lucky all he did was turn his back on you.
Old April 14, 2015, 08:21 PM   #7
bdb benzino

I had a compact 40.cal in wonder finish that had minor issues but I traded rather than deal with EAA.
I have since aquired a pre-EAA TZ 75 that is an amazing shooting pistol and is finished in chrome that they no longer offer.
I imagine I would use a local smith to fix any issues even if i had a current EAA pistol. Good guns though, too bad about all the issues.
Old April 15, 2015, 07:32 AM   #8
MFitz

The SAR B6 Hawk is made in Turkey by Sarslimaz, not by Tanfoglio in Italy and is not the same weapon as the Witness.

Took it to the range on Monday to break it in with 200 rounds of cheap bulk commercial reloads I had laying about. It seems to be a quality piece, shoots well and I had no problems at all with it on this first outing.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:13 PM   #9
bdb benzino

Yes but it is covered in warranty by EAA, and what the previous posters were talking about. Sorry to get off topic.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:14 PM   #10
bdb benzino

Sarsilmaz is a good company as well, glad you enjoyed it.