The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 1, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Weird Shipping from Midway USA!

I ordered a bullet mold and some other various gun stuff from Midway back on the 22nd. Well I got to looking at the tracking. It started off with UPS then when it got to Nashville it went over to a USPS processing facility. And USPS will be the end carrier for delievery. What in the world? Is UPS and USPS working together now instead of competing? I know USPS and Fed Ex are together now. This is not a complaint, I had just never seen nothing like this before.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
olddav

yep seems weird, but I have seen this very thing from other vendors.
It shows up when I select the cheapest shipping possible.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3
UtopiaTexasG19

I have been receiving packages as you described from different companies for the last 3 years. For some orders it is cheaper for UPS and FedEx to give the package near the end of it's travel to the U.S. Post Office for final delivery. I hate the set up as the post Office can hang on to the package for many days even though it might be just a few miles from your home.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
lee n. field

UPS hands off to USPS for final delivery. It's called UPS Basic or something like that.

Kind of weird, the first time you notice it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

It's a win-win for both companies - Midway gets lower shipping costs, UPS has lower costs, and the USPS gets a little money to help them
Old March 1, 2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Technosavant

Nothing new.

UPS calls it (at least last time I checked) UPS Mail Innovations and FedEx calls theirs Smartpost.

The private carrier gets it to the region (if not the metro area) of the delivery address and then hands it off to the USPS for the last couple steps. When I get stuff FedEx Smartpost it usually gets delivered to the main USPS package sort facility nearby (it handles every USPS package for at least this side of the STL area, if not all of it). UPS seems to drop it in a little further away.

Sometimes it means an extra day or two delay in delivery. Sometimes not.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Slotback

Yeah, first time I saw that, I thought it was pretty odd. But done right, it can make some sense.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Mike38

I found out about the UPS / USPS working together the hard way about two years ago. For a short period of time, I worked as a USPS Postmaster Reserve in a small town near me. My first day on the job alone the UPS truck backed in and started unloading packages. I asked him what the heck he was doing, so he had to explain it to me. Works quite well when you think about it. UPS doesn’t have to find you, the USPS knows right where you are. Both get a little profit out of the deal. I want to say it was called something like “Final Destination Delivery” or something like that. It does add at least one day to the delivery time.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:02 PM   #9
dtscbs

Weird Shipping from Midway USA!

It isn't that uncommon. I bought a few things as a gift for a friend that lives in a rural part on Maine. It's he delivery spent most of its time on FEDEX vehicles and the final leg was the USPS. I wouldn't worry about it. Google it if it give you agita(I did).
Old March 1, 2013, 10:11 PM   #10
br549arkie

I got a package from Midway the same way.Problem for me is UPS delivers to my doorstep. My mailbox is a mile from my residince on the dirt road and if the package is to big to fit in the mailbox I get a notice left in the mailbox that I have a package to pick up at the post office 15 miles away. Sure as heck not much of a savings for me.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:34 PM   #11
jag2

It makes perfect sense, USPS drives around the neighborhoods everyday, UPS may not find their way around as quickly. Lets UPS truck handle the commercial accounts like office buildings. Best scenario for both companies.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:41 AM   #12
chris in va

I think jag is right, USPS delivers mail to every address in the country. UPS has to send a truck to that one address.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Nothing new. USPS does the final delivery portion. It is cheaper than UPS doing it alone and quicker than USPS or something like that.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:43 PM   #14
deerslayer303

Well my package arrived today. It didn't take all that long at all. At any rate its here and that was the cheapest shipping Midway had. And thats the one I choose always (but the first time my stuff got shipped like that). Mainly because Midway's shipping is high. They need to figure out what USPS flat rate boxes are. I've never had a problem shipping that way.
Old March 2, 2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Evan Thomas

Deerslayer, I'm glad your package arrived. Now that we know that all's well, I'm closing this as not really gun-related.