The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2009, 06:25 AM   #1
lizziedog1

Antelope Question

I didn't draw an antelope tag again. At least my points are adding up. I should be ahead of what the Raiders score on an average game. Anyway, what are they like as far as being good table fare? This is one game animal that seems to bring out extremes in opinions.

Most folks agree that elk is very good to eat. Regular deer meat seems to get favorable reviews from people that have tried it. Ask ten people if they like antelope, you are likely to get five to say they love it and the other five say they can't stand it.

Who likes antelope meat? How would you compare to other game animals?
Old October 15, 2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've only killed one antelope. Yummy-tasty. Very rich and surprisingly filling. It took less than I expected to feel quite sated. But I hated to quit!
Old October 15, 2009, 11:26 AM   #3
taylorce1

It isn't my favorite, that is Elk. However I will not turn down properly prepared Pronghorn. A lot of people overcook their game meat and destroy the taste of it.

Another problem with pronghorn is how much they have been ran before they were shot, or how long it took people to take care of their meat. Pronghorn season runs when temps could be as high as 90 degrees. If you don't get the hide off and the meat cooled ASAP it is bound to be a little funky.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Scorch

I like antelope. Properly cleaned, prepped, and cooked, it is delicious.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
davlandrum

Has anyone notice a difference between the taste of alfalfa field (or any field) antelope and those that live soley on the sage flats? My buddy and I were speculating that may be why there is such a range of opinions on the taste. The one time I had it, it was OK at best - but I have no knowledge about how it was handled in the field.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 15, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Daryl

I prefer the taste of antelope to just about any other meat I've eaten...as long as the meat is well cared for.

Most of them I've eaten were taken off of alfalfa fields in Colorado, and I prefer the taste of the meat to deer, elk, buffalo, or caribou when it's cared for properly. One I took in northern Az on a grassy high country meadow was just as good.

If you don't take really good care of the meat, they probably aren't worth eating. it can get pretty rank at times if neglected.

I've taken two with a bow, and two with a rifle, and all four were excellent eating.

ETA (to answer the post above this one) I've never eaten antelope from a sage flat, but I've eaten some elk that was taken from cedar covered hills. The meat was...lwt's say, less than tasty. What they're eating can definitely make a difference.

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; October 15, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old October 15, 2009, 02:51 PM   #7
oneounceload

fondued, cooked with teriyaki, wrapped with bacon - there are many ways that it tastes good. As mentioned above - this is one animal you want to anchor DRT with your shot and dressed and skinned immediately
Old October 15, 2009, 05:09 PM   #8
BigJimP

I killed a lot of Antelope in eastern Montana when I was a kid ......

For the most part - we cooked it like a "Swiss Steak" - brown it first, then cook it in a gravy sauce with onions, bacon ..whatever you like - to tenderize it a little. I prefer a non-tomato based gravy / but that's just me. It tends to be tough / but the sauce takes a lot of the gameiness out of it too.

Part of the trick to Antelope - is you don't want to kill one that has been run for 10,000 yards accross the prarie / its better to catch them near a break in the prarie when they are coming to water in the morning or evening.
Old October 15, 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
BigJimP

Antelope is real lean meat / and you're only going to get 35 lbs of meat or so out an animal anyway ......but I guess what I was trying to say is cook it like you would a "goat" .......

cut it into medalions, pound it pretty thin, use a little flower, a good rich gravy with some onions and mushrooms ( damn, there is a reason I grew up to be 6'5" and 290 lbs ..) but my grandma was the "head cook" in the family ......if you have a roast, treat it like a "pot roast" and put it in the oven in a heavy pot - with carrots, onions, mushrooms ..... / the same technique works for venizon too ( especially if you killed an old buck - that you should have probably passed on ....).

The other option is to grind it up / into big sausage patties - but you need to mix it with something fatty ( like black bear, or pork, or get some pork fat trimmings ) ........ we used to do that with venizon too / grandpa and my dad and I ate sausage patties for breakfast a lot ....when I was a kid ( fried in bacon grease..) at grandma's house. damn, I'm hungry now .....
Old October 15, 2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Antelope is the BEST wild game I've ever tasted. Now, I've heard more than a few people talk about how nasty antelope can be.

My theory is of course that sage feeding antelope have a difference taste than antelope that have been eating other fare. Just my theory of course, as all of my antelope have been plains antelope where sage had to be most of their diet.

All of my antelope have come from the Casper, Wyoming area by the way. As mentioned, it is very lean and I have my suet added to my ground antelope to help with cooking. The prime cuts are tasty by themselves.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Rembrandt

Like any game animal, if it has been stressed and running the blood and adrenaline get pumped through the muscle tissue and give a strong taste. Antelope feeding on sage and running will taste like sage. Take one that is calm and relaxing at a waterhole, they are great eating.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:14 PM   #12
cornbush

It is my favorite followed closely by elk. As others have said, the hide has to come off quick and get it cool as fast as you can. The key to cooking it is to add a little fat of some kind and dont over cook. In my experience it does not do good on the grill as it is too lean, even wrapped in bacon it dries out too fast.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Crankylove

[QUOTE][I prefer the taste of antelope to just about any other meat I've eaten/QUOTE]

What he said ^

Quite tasty, and fun to hunt too. Throw it in a skillet with half a stick of butter, some onions, and cook it up on medium heat...........my mouth is watering just from typing that. I have heard many people say it is too gamey, or just down right nasty, but would have to say they had meat that wasnt properly cared for.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:28 PM   #14
freedom475

It is probly my favorite... My wife doesn't care for game meat but she Likes Antelope!

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old October 15, 2009, 09:04 PM   #15
30-30remchester

I just shot my 31st antelope 2 weeks ago. I have shot them in every kind of food sourse. I can attest to their excellent taste. One of my favorite wild meats.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:53 PM   #16
duck911

My favorite wild game meat, hands down.
Old October 20, 2009, 02:13 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

Prarie Maggots are good stuff. You just have to get them skinned, cooled, and butchered much faster than most game.

As far as alfalfa vs sage goes... I have no idea. All I can tell you is that I still love antelope, and every one I've ever eaten was of the 'sage' variety.

Speed Goats!!
Old October 20, 2009, 08:23 AM   #18
DRice.72

*stares at the bowl of oatmeal in front of me*

Wrong time to read this post!
Old October 22, 2009, 08:57 PM   #19
elkman06

Yep, opinions vary. I too have eaten them off of alfalfa as well as sage. The alfalfa variety seems a lot better to me. Still below elk, deer, and moose on my scale. Sage types get turned into jerky or sausage sticks. Alfalfa variety at least ends up partially as steak.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old October 26, 2009, 11:36 PM   #20
GB in WY

Seems to me that there is no middle ground on goat. It is either good eats or it ain't fit to feed the dogs:barf:.... Has a lot to do with how it was shot. (did you run it for a couple of miles with one or more holes shot through it? If so it ain't going to be very tasty! And how it is taken care of after the fun part is over is key to the taste..I carry atleast ten gallons of water to clean the blood and hair from the critter and to help cool the meat...Most of the hunting in SW Wyoming is done during warm weather and getting the animal cooled down is important. I also believe that little is gained in "aging" antelope as it is a delicate meat. Mine is usually in the freeze within 24 hours. I like antelope meat better than deer and almost as well as Elk.
Old October 27, 2009, 12:08 AM   #21
Swampghost

Many years ago a friend brought some Elk back and it was so bad that I can't compare it to anything else. It certainly cured me from hunting for them.

'Lopes are another question mark. I'll TRY most anything. I know that they're eaten over a good section of the planet.
Old October 27, 2009, 02:03 AM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'll TRY most anything. I know that they're eaten over a good section of the planet.
So are dogs and rats.

I love me some speed goat, but you opened the door. I had to walk through it...
Old October 27, 2009, 03:51 AM   #23
HiBC

I should probably shut up and let lopes have a bad rep,but in my experience,the natural forage for them is sage and it works fine.If you do a few things right,there is no "wild taste".It could be store bought.
Cooking does not need to be more complex than: Backstrap,chops,browned in garlic butter.Round,slice thin,cure w/Morton tenderquick,smoke a few hours,dry to jerky
Everything else,shoulder,trimmings,etc,stew meat size pieces,flour them,brouwn them,eat them,maybe a little lLawreys and pepper.Want a little gravyishness? spill a little beer in to deglaze,Yeah,you can go to stroghanoof or ?

But,antelope season is warm and early.Get the hide off fast,and get the quarters in a refrigerator the same day you shoot it.

Ive noticed critters often have a baseball or so sized full bladder.Its real good if you can identify and remove a bladder without spilling it into the body cavity.Really,go buy a nice ribeye,whiz on it,marinate it a few hours/days,it will have a wild taste.Think wire zip ties.

Unless you have a walk-in cooler and can maintain temps in the 30's,FORGET AGING!!! Hanging meat at 68 degrees will disappoint you.

For myself,I bone everything.There is a taste from bandsawing through venison or antelope bone that I do not like.

But really,try ice cube size pieces,seasoned and browned in garlic butter in a cast iron pan.Leave some pink,and try it

Now,I forgot the handle of the gentleman who thought elk was not palatable.

I think perhaps your elk was mishandled.
Old October 27, 2009, 02:21 PM   #24
elkman06

Quote:
I think perhaps your elk was mishandled.
+43 on this comment. Elk is one of the best wild game meats out there. While I have a special fondness for Rocky Mtn Muley, I still appreciate elk very much and eat the heck out of it.
The very best piece of wild meat I have ever eaten was a cut from the carcass tenderloin out of an elk. It was 5pm on a 10degree day w/ me still a mile from the truck and half an elk to get there.
Antelope is toward the lower end of the spectrum for me personally but very good when you are hungry. Unfortunately a lot of people tend to compare all of the above w/ beef. You don't compare pork to beef,,right?
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old October 27, 2009, 05:35 PM   #25
Phoneguy

I have killed and eaten at least 8 Antelope. I have only had some ground meat that tasted bad. My experience is that #1. As soon as possible get the hide off and try to keep the hair off the meat. The hair is what tastes bad. We take a box of disposable rubber gloves and it helps to rub hair off the meat. #2 Doe and fawn meat is better than an old buck. Our last trip to Wyoming 7 of us brought home more than 20 Antelope. Nobody complained about the taste. My Wife told me that if I didn't kill anymore deer that was ok as long as I brought home lots of Antelope.