The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 24, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
KBP

M1 Garand ban lifted!

"Obama finally lifted his re-importation ban on the 84,417 M1 Garands that have been sitting in a Korean warehouse." Headline on Yahoo news today! Where can I buy one of these?
Old May 24, 2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Capybara

Link?
Old May 24, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3
kraigwy

If this is true:

Korea is gonna sell them to some jobber, which will add their mark up. Some how I don't see there is going to be a deal here.

If you want a M1, buy one from the CMP. The prices are the best you'll find. Before they are put up for sale, the CMP Armors go over them to make sure they are serviceable and safe.

If there is a problem, you'll not find better customer service anywhere.

The proceeds from the sale of CMP guns go to fund their shooting programs, mainly geared toward Junior Programs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 24, 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Skadoosh

This is not a done deal....not even close.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:50 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

I thought it was M-1 Carbines,,,

But I've been wrong before.

Please post a link if you can,,,
I searched yahoo news and found nothing.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 24, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
KBP

M1 Grand import lifted?

Here is a link on line. CNN had a scrolling headline on TV this afternoon that said the ban was lifted on imports of Korean M1 Grands! This story might not be what we had hoped for, but it might be a start! My father was a Korean war veteran so I might have a chance to get one! Will it be worth the cost? http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=68623
Old May 24, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Chuckusaret

I worked with the Korean White Horse Div. in Korea in '65 and in Vietnam in '66 and from what I remember mostly during their training was the M1 Carbines and M1 Garands were mostly beaters IMO. The weapons were given to Korea under the Lend Lease program plus some were also given to them under many of the other trade/aid programs. They were armed with the latest weapons in Vietnam. I would buy from the CMP.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Skadoosh

The link to a link you posted is a Korean news article....from January of 2012.

As I said before, the Koreans are reporting this...not the US. And it would wise to realize that the Koreans are likely being a more than a bit overzealous in reporting this...
Old May 25, 2012, 05:12 AM   #9
KBP

M1 Garand ban lifted!

This news headline that CNN TV posted yesterday on the ban being lifted on importing M1s is very strange. I immediately searched CNN online also, and the only article I could find was the one I posted! Why would they post a 4 month old article written in a Korean newspaper? It doesn't seem to have any merit at all to me! The reason I posted it here was to find out if there was something I missed and see if anyone else saw the headline on CNN. Ken
Old May 26, 2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not lend lease. That ended with the end of world war two. It was straight up military aid.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:25 AM   #11
MarkDozier

The M-1 are coming but it will be while according to Southern Ohio Guns newsletter/ad i got a few days ago.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:45 AM   #12
BloodOmen911

What about the M1 carbines they were trying to import?
Old May 26, 2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Chris_B

I'm hoping that if nothing else, the Korean M1s will prove a good source of parts. And maybe ammo
Old May 26, 2012, 06:10 PM   #14
TX Hunter

Im glad the ban was lifted, I hope the Garands show up here, I would love it if the M1 Carbines could as well.
The CMP is a wonderfull thing, but some of us cant drive 1000 miles or so to go to a club match, it would be nice to be able to just order one with your C&R.

Last edited by TX Hunter; May 26, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Winchester_73

I almost was ready to call this BS but I found this article.

Sadly, and as I originally thought on why ban these rifles, M1 carbines will still be banned. Apparently the South Koreans have over 600k stock piled. Obama won't allow the carbines because of how they accept magazines. He most likely allowed garands because they are 8 rounds in a clip only.

http://waznmentobe.com/guns/obama-pa...-carbines.html

Here is an earlier article with more info:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/08/ob...till-in-doubt/
Old May 26, 2012, 07:03 PM   #16
TX Hunter

The whole Clip thing is Silly, why shound it matter if a Rifle accepts a Clip ?
I think every able bodied American Man should be issued a Rifle with a Clip.
Different Strokes I guess.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Winchester_73

Quote:
The whole Clip thing is Silly, why shound it matter if a Rifle accepts a Clip ?
Well someone can reload faster and have to reload less often when shooting a M1 carbine compared to a garand.

The big time hypocrisy is how many AKs and ARs are already floating around. The m1 carbine ammo is harder to find. I highly doubt thugs will start buying up M1 carbines. In a SHTF scenario, I'd rather have a AR followed by a AK. After those 2, I don't know what, but I still wouldn't pick a carbine. They were a great gun for the time, but importing 600k of them would have little criminal significance today.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:02 PM   #18
KBP

M1 Garand ban lifted!

Thanks for all the replies! We should keep our eyes and ears searching the news to see if anything new about these M1s comes up! Right now, I'm disappointed and feel this is no news to get excited about!
Old May 28, 2012, 12:46 AM   #19
kozak6

The word is that these rifles are in absolutely terrible condition.

Regardless of how cheap it is, I don't know if a potentially unsafe project Garand is for me.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:35 AM   #20
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Hunter
The CMP is a wonderfull thing, but some of us cant drive 1000 miles or so to go to a club match, it would be nice to be able to just order one with your C&R.
You may want to review the eligibility requirements, a match is no longer required, and hasn't been for some time.

You need to join a member club, and there are many that qualify, and show proof of "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" which a number of things cover:

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP
Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/fo...rksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Hardcase

Quote:
If you're thinking of the Camp Perry matches, that's not what they mean. Any affiliated club activity counts. If you're not a member of an affiliated club, you can join the Garand Collectors' Association for 25 clams (and get four really nice magazines every year) and use your C&R FFL as evidence of firearms related activity.

It took me all of about an hour to fill out the papers they needed, copy a few documents, visit the notary, the bank and the post office. I was a member of an affiliated club, but I joined the GCA anyway, because I really like the magazine.

There are quite a few reasons why you can't just use a C&R, but one of the biggies is that the CMP isn't in business to sell guns, but to promote marksmanship amongst the "unorganized militia" (that's us regular folks). The way that they sell guns helps satisfy that purpose.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Hawg

Even if the Garands are let in they wont go through the CMP. They will be sold to importers who will mark them up and resell them.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:51 PM   #23
TX Hunter

Emcon 5, Hardcase

I didnt realize it, Im qualified in many ways to become a member.
I believe I will join them.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:38 PM   #24
smoakingun

For those who would be interested, attending an appleseed event can get you a cmp garand. The event itself counts as the match requirement. Becoming a member of the RWVA (parent organization of project appleseed) meets the club membership requirement, and being a naturalized or natural born American citizen is the third. Find and attend an appleseed near you!
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Willie Sutton

The word is that these rifles are in absolutely terrible condition.Regardless of how cheap it is, I don't know if a potentially unsafe project Garand is for me.

From what "reliable" source are you told this?

Considering that we've already had several thousand come into the US previously without any issues or comments, it's not really credible to say in advance of arrival what they are like. The ROK's take good care of their stuff: They know that they might NEED it one day. Field wear... sure. "Absolutely Terrible"... Uhh... probably not.

Willie