The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1
PunchinPaper

454 Casull Loads High to Low

Hi I just picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull with a 7 1/2 barrel.
I am no stranger to magnum handguns,or handloading for them.
Im interested to hear your pet 454 loads, jacketed and cast, high to low.
I am looking for ideas as this caliber is new to me. Also can 454 shells be reloaded with 45 LC dies?
Old June 18, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yes, 454 rounds can be loaded with 45 colt dies.

This load is shot from my TC Encore pistol, so use the following data at your own risk.

Lee 315grn flat nose, seated to first crimp groove (closest to nose of bullet) over 30.0 grains 296. Haven't chrono'd it.

220 grain Gas checked HP (custom mold) over 37 grains 296...2207 FPS average from my Encore...

Have fun and be careful... and remember that if you use Win 296 and H110 (they are the same powder) they are not meant to be reduced much from the max load. The starting load is the starting load...do not go under that. This powder works best at or near max.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 18, 2011, 10:19 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Punchin Paper......Since you are an experienced reloader, you already know the best source for load recipes is a published manual. You already know internet sources need to be verified by comparing them to published/tested loads. You also know that with any new gun when establishing loads for it, you start low and work your way up either to a published max load or until you experience excessive pressure or find accuracy diminishing. Correct? Altho internet suggestions are fine, I suggest you do what I do when I get a new caliber. Go to your reloading manuals and start with their recommended loads. Most manuals give an accuracy load or suggest powders that worked well in their test loads. I bet you find a favorite within their parameters. Besides, what works well in someone else's gun doesn't always work well in another.
Old June 18, 2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Gbro

Well said Buck,
I also reload for my Freedom Arms .454 and did purchase RCBS 454 dies, and factory crimp die, and the 7th edition Hornady manual.
The loads are tested in a Freedom arms revolver and includes this statement;
Quote:
Other firearms chambered for the 454 Casull should, perhaps, be loaded up more cautiously.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
PunchinPaper

Yes sir Buck I own several loading manuals. I have read every one of them cover to cover. And I always start low and work up using published data. I am very picky with every aspect of my handloading.
Saftey first!! I have never used any unpublished load data. I understand each firearm has its prefrance in diet. I am merely looking for ideas from experienced 454 Casull shooters/handloaders. I don't plan on loading anything that is out of spec or over Max, nor will I assemble any ammo without published data support. Thanks for your advice. TFL is the Best!!

Tags
454 casull , 454 load data , handloading 454 casull , ruger super redhawk 454