The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 8, 2014, 11:27 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n

I would like gun cleaning advice please

Hello everyone. I own one gun, a Ruger SR9c. Stainless slide, plastic frame, talon stick on grips. I live in an apartment with a wonderful wife and child. I do not have a dedicated place to go to clean my gun. I am looking for a simple and basic system that works. I am not trying to get into a cleaner and gun oil war. I would like a product that will not stink up the apartment with a migraine causing odor for my wife. I like the idea of a CLP type product. I am not interested in a product that wants you to heat up the gun to clean it (FrogLube for example). I want something that is easy to get locally or from Walmart rather than order from a small company online. I am considering Breakfree CLP, but I hear that it has a strong odor. What about Balistol (the hickok45 favorite)? Thanks for the help.
Old November 8, 2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Adrian

Weapon Shield has a pleasantly light, cinnamon kind of smell. Your LGS might have it, or you can order it from Sinclair's (a medium-large kind of company online).
Matt.25:40
Old November 9, 2014, 12:24 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Ballistol has a pretty strong smell but some find it pleasant. I do not.

Cleaners
Hoppes Elite Cleaner (standard, not foaming) and MPro-7 are good cleaning products with little or no odor. Gunslick, Outers and Break Free all make good foaming bore cleaners that work well and have very low odor.

Don't bother with the Hoppes Elite foaming bore cleaner--I don't know why, but it doesn't work well for me. Strange since I have had excellent luck with the standard Hoppes Elite Cleaner.

Remington Bore Cleaner (NOT REMOIL) is a good choice for removing stubborn deposits from bores. It has an odor but I wouldn't classify it as a strong or particularly offensive odor. Be sure to follow the instructions--if you don't shake it well and keep shaking it while you're using it, it won't work well. It uses a very mild abrasive that needs to be shaken into suspension so that you get a good dose of it on the cleaning patch.

Most of the good nitro solvents have pretty strong odors, but if you want something that is petroleum based and will still not stink up the place too badly, you might look at making a mix of something like GooGone and ATF. I'd mix it 50/50 or maybe shade the mix towards the GooGone side to keep it fairly thin. It probably won't perform as well as a typical nitro-solvent, but it should be decent.

I typically use a nitro solvent with a bore brush and then patch out the bore. Next I either use foaming bore cleaner or Hoppes Elite/MPro 7 and leave the bore wet for 10-15 minutes. Then I patch it out again and repeat the first step until I'm happy with the results. If I can't seem to get the bore clean after a few steps, I'll use the Remington Bore Cleaner, then a nitro solvent to get all the remaining grit out of the bore.

I try not to use the foaming bore cleaners or Hoppes Elite/MPro7 with a bore brush because those cleaners tend to have some adverse effect on brass/bronze/copper materials. So I use those cleaners with patches and use the nitro solvent with my bore brushes.

Lubrication
Lubrikit sells some gun lubrication products that are not only low odor but also food safe. They are made for use on food processing machinery and, by all accounts are a good choice for firearms since they provide good lubrication properties and excellent corrosion protection.

Dillon Precision sells a product they call Snake Oil. It has no odor that I can detect and is an excellent lubricant. I don't know anything about its corrosion preventive capabilities.
Old November 9, 2014, 02:13 AM   #4
hoss1969

FYI

Watch a few videos on the basic strip and then watch how to remove and take apart the firing pin/rod. Its packed with grease and metal flakes from the factory. Strip and clean it and you will improve your trigger pull. Just by cleaning my trigger group and rod/pin my SR9 has a trigger pull of 4.1 lbs with no mods or upgraded parts. I give the nod to seal1 as a factor in that because you no longer need to grease or oil your gun, as seal1 does it all.

Even if you dont use the seal1, strip the firing pin assembly down and clean. The trigger group could also use a good clean from the factory but watch the videos, there is a tiny rod you need to look out for

You dont need to heat the gun up every time for seal1. The first two or three times only need the gun warm.
Old November 9, 2014, 05:43 AM   #5
davidsoc

i have been cleaning my guns with nothing but hoppes and rem oil for years now

hoppes #9 in the bore, rem oil sprayed heavily pretty much everywhere (i almost use this stuff like garden hose, just get everything dripping wet, its like $3 a can at walmart) wipe carbon and crud off with paper towels, and apply hoppes gun oil where necessary

i do this in my bedroom, or laundry room with the door closed and window open and none of my family notices the smell as long as i throw the used paper towels and patches in the outside trash can and give whatever i put the hoppes #9 in a good rinse in the sink
Old November 9, 2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Sport45

I clean everything with Ed's Red and the wife doesn't complain about odors.

But then I don't complain when she uses hairspray, fingernail polish, or nail polish remover in the house either.

I use Breakfree LP (no "C") for lube. Tried cleaning with CLP a long time ago and didn't like it. It was like trying to clean a countertop with vegetable oil.
Old November 9, 2014, 08:08 AM   #7
AFK

If you use frog lube, you don't have to heat up the gun every time you clean it. Just one time during the first application.
Old November 9, 2014, 08:17 AM   #8
qwiksdraw

Safari Charlie's does it all: cleans, lubricates and protects while at the same time it has a nice citrus smell that does not linger.

http://www.superslickstuff.com/lubri...-Gun-Lube.html
Old November 9, 2014, 09:21 AM   #9
wogpotter

KG-12 big bore. Almost no smell, cleans up brushes with tap water.
My second favorite cleaner but the other is a 2-soloution system so this is probably closer to your requirements.

Oil is separate, but that is so simple its a no-brainer just put a few drops on a mop & pass through the insides a couple of drips on the pivots & wipe down with a rag, done!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 11, 2014, 08:10 PM   #10
jaytothekizzay

Hoppes#9 for the bore... Breakfree CLP for everything else. You can make things as complicated as you want... I like to keep it simple with these two low odor products. Should not take longer than 20 min to be very thorough. Every once in a while you can shoot out the frame and lower with Birchwood Casey gunscrubber (aerosol can). Just make sure you get the polymer safe version. Canned air from walmart comes in handy, but not necessary. All these products are available at walmart or gun shops.
Old November 11, 2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Ske1etor

FIREClean is non toxic, biodegradable and odor free. It'll clean and lube as well or better than any other pile of products you might have laying around. Apply with a one inch paintbrush, clean parts with a paper towel.

Oh, and it works.
Old November 11, 2014, 08:55 PM   #12
buckhorn_cortez

Gunzilla has no odor. In testing against my longtime bore cleaner of Shooter's Choice + Kroil, the Gunzilla cleaned the bore equally as well for fouling.

If you need to remove lead, mop the inside of the bore with Kroil, let the gun sit overnight, mop the bore the next day with Kroil and then brush the bore and the lead will come out.

KG12 (previously mentioned) has no odor and is the cleaner I use for copper removal.

Most all of the synthetic gun oils are odorless or nearly odorless including: Fire Clean, MPro7, and Slip 2000 EWL.
Old November 11, 2014, 11:28 PM   #13
pturner67

I keep it pretty simple:

I use a mix of 1/3 Mobil1 5w30 synthetic oil with 2/3 Break Free CLP. There's no excessive odor, and mixing in that consistency will make a lot of homemade CLP (saving you money) that will be effective in cleaning and lubing your guns.

Get out your CLP, patches, rod for the patches, your Q-tips, some paper towels, and a medium-sized towel you can fold over once and use as a barrier/surface to lay your gun parts on.

Get cleaning!
Old November 12, 2014, 06:38 AM   #14
TfflHndn

M-Pro 7 is your ticket. No odor at all, cleans and conditions the metal, non-toxic, and it works really well. Pump sprayer, squirt it on, wait 5-10 minutes, and clean it off. May need a slight brushing for carbon rings. Really good stuff. Comes in a black bottle.
Old November 13, 2014, 02:25 PM   #15
gwpercle

Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner and Elite Gun Oil. Both made with low odor technology and advertised as such.
The Gun Oil has a low odor and actually smells pleasant. I'm on my second bottle and like it. The cleaner I haven't tried yet, but will.
My wife has a nose like a bloodhound and if it smells "bad" it has to go out of the bedroom.
Thankfully I can't smell things as well and actually like the way a few things smell. Hoppes Original Bore Cleaner, WD40, Marvel Mystery Oil, but she doesn't....I know where you're coming from .
Gary
PS- you can get these at Wally-Mart or any sporting goods store.
Old November 13, 2014, 08:29 PM   #16
jad0110

Quote:
I clean everything with Ed's Red and the wife doesn't complain about odors.

But then I don't complain when she uses hairspray, fingernail polish, or nail polish remover in the house either.
Sounds like you both are blessed with fried scent receptors, no offense intended of course .

Ed's Red is fine if you don't mind your home smelling like the bowels of an aircraft carrier .

Granted, Ed's Red is one of the best cleaning and metal protection products I've ever used on my guns.

Hoppes #9 smells good to me (red neck cologne!), but my wife finds the smell overpowering, especially considering she can smell a mouse fart in Yankee stadium. Honestly I wouldn't want a smell that strong in my house either.

In my own experience, breakfree CLP isn't too bad, and it works as a decent all around cleaner and lubricant.
Old November 16, 2014, 07:15 PM   #17
somerled

If you can't go outside, try using a fan as an exhaust to blow the fumes out a window. Then don't throw the patches or anything soaked in solvent into a trash bin kept inside. Wash off the bore brush and other tools after use. Then wash yourself--always a good idea particularly when you consider lead exposure.

It seems like the odor of solvent is worsened by the droplets flung by bore brushes. I'll run a patch through the bore and let it set for 15 minutes. That loosens up the fouling so I don't have to use the bore brush as much. There are ways to contain bore brushes and rags so they don't foul as much when they come out of the chamber or muzzle. Check out the Brownells catalog. That might provide some better solutions.

I'll apply gun oil with a large patch to the surface of guns and then wipe off the excess with a dry rag. Usually the rags don't smell that bad unless they become soaked. However, they can be washed and dried between uses.
Old December 10, 2014, 04:47 PM   #18
1911Sig

Cleaning my pistols

First I have a range bag that holds my pistol or pistols that was purchased from Sports Academy for about $20.00. The front of the bag has a zip up portion when unzipped serves as a cleaning pad. It also has compartments that hold my MPRO 7 and MPRO oil (Walmart $9.95) Plus a bore snake cleaning devise (Walmart $14.00 for appropriate caliber) and a gun cleaning rod with appropriate tips (Walmart red aluminum tube with with copper rod segments and tips inside $8.00). I keep a handful of cotton swabs in there as well as cotton patches. A few wooden toothpicks tucked away for grime removal is cheap and effective too. I have expensive cleaning tables with high dollar rods and brushes etc. But I almost never use them anymore with this setup. It is portable, the chemicals don't smell, and it is very effective for quick cleaning or a complete stripping and thorough cleaning. I can place my gun bag on almost any surface and have everything I need for the job. I can clean my pistol while watching TV or go to the kitchen table or anywhere else that is convenient. Have Gun Will Travel - cleaned.
Old December 10, 2014, 05:24 PM   #19
mehavey

For what you have, simple BREAKFREE

- One wet patch scrubbed to get the major carbon
- Two dry patches to scrub out what it loosens...
- One wet patch to to scrub again and leave an oil layer behind

You are done.
Old December 10, 2014, 05:57 PM   #20
BOBA FETT

blue wonder bore gel...and rem oil to lube and clean the gun...simple...
Old December 10, 2014, 06:43 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Gunzilla: http://www.topduckproducts.com/

Quote:
Gunzilla® BC-10 is a patent pending formula designed to clean, lubricate and protect all in one formula. Gunzilla performs best when no other cleaners, oils or preservatives are used. Gunzilla BC-10 was developed to reduce weapon malfunctions and to remove the health concerns associated with hazardous gun cleaners and lubricants. Gunzilla is made from natural based materials and contains no water and no petroleum solvents. It is safer and more effective than other gun cleaners, and can be used on every type of gun which includes handguns, shotguns, rifles, automatic weapons, black powder guns and cannons.
Old December 10, 2014, 07:08 PM   #22
lee n. field

Quote:
Hello everyone. I own one gun, a Ruger SR9c. Stainless slide, plastic frame, talon stick on grips. I live in an apartment with a wonderful wife and child. I do not have a dedicated place to go to clean my gun. I am looking for a simple and basic system that works. I am not trying to get into a cleaner and gun oil war. I would like a product that will not stink up the apartment with a migraine causing odor for my wife.
Take your kit with you and clean there after you shoot.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 11, 2014, 10:28 AM   #23
g.willikers

^^^^
Best reply, yet.
Clean it at the range and store it in a smell proof container.
Your marriage will benefit, for sure.
Don't forget your clothes, too.
Drop them straight in the washing machine when coming in the house after a range session.
Well, check first for visitors before running around in your jockeys.
Old December 11, 2014, 11:20 AM   #24
wogpotter

Cleaning at the range is a good idea, but check with them that range rules allow it. Many don't.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 13, 2014, 05:43 PM   #25
Theohazard

I had the same problem: We briefly lived in an apartment so I needed something that my sensitive-nosed wife wouldn't find objectionable, so my classic CLP and Hoppes were out. I settled on Slip-2000 Carbon Killer and Froglube paste, instead. I initially picked those because of their smell, but I like them both so much that I still use them even though we now live in a house and I clean my guns in the garage.

The Froglube works excellent as a lube and pretty well as a CLP, and it has a pleasant mint odor. The Slip-2000 is an excellent solvent and it has a mild orange smell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
I am not interested in a product that wants you to heat up the gun to clean it (FrogLube for example).
They only want you to heat it up for the first application, not every time you clean. But it's not necessary for it to still work well. I've used Froglube on my Glock 19 for a few years now and I've never heated it up. And it still works really well. Sure, you can heat it up for the first application if you want to, but it's not required.