The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 02:18 AM   #51
Powderman

It is a good thread.

I wasn't here when the forum first started, but I do remember some good stuff.

Recent flashback--I visited a friend in AZ not too long ago, who managed to get me a tour of the McMillan business. I saw, on the wall, a record setting benchrest group measuring .002 (no, not a typo) on the wall, fired ny none other than Gale McMillan.

My most favorite thread? When Rich took the steam out of this guy "LuckyInKentucky"'s sails in an exemplary and noteworthy fashion.

My least favorite thread? When this forum went offline for a while--it was not a good time.

My most memorable and meaningful thread or post? "Metal and Wood" by Dennis Bateman. I still get chills everytime I read it.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:28 AM   #52
Dre_sa

Two fond memories of mine are reading the tales of lawdog, and the pointy stick debacle.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:17 AM   #53
RamItOne

Good read, glad to be a small part on this site.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 8, 2013, 03:29 AM   #54
PATH

I am here since September 10, 1999. I posted that first day. I was at shooters.com before I came here. It was a madhouse at shooters.

I remember the tales told by Lawdog and how funny they were. I remember how sad it was when this forum shut down. I would come by all the time and look. I was quite nostalgic. I remember how happy I was when TFL came back to active service.

I remember Ray Woodrow 3rd inviting folks down to a club shoot. I still have my TFL Tee shirt. I never wore it but kept it as a memento.

I believe back in the day there was a thread about an assault wheelbarrow that was extremely funny! I remember the constant 9 vs 40 vs 45 threads. I don't come around as often as I used to do. I do come by and it is like coming home. A great place this!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old January 8, 2013, 03:44 AM   #55
Hal

That would be the infamous assault tuna....not a wheelbarrow .

& for those of you that are too "young" to remember,,,

The mention earlier in this thread about the "prize".
What that refers to is the "prize" that was awarded to the poster that could post a thread that gathered the most number of responses.

Back when the forum started, traffic was so light that Rich had to bribe people to post !
Old January 8, 2013, 10:16 AM   #56
globemaster3

This!

Quote:
Looking around and realizing that I only THOUGHT I knew about guns. Also realizing that I didn't need to resubscribe to any gun magazines.
Growing up, my friends and I never had anyone to mentor us on guns, shooting, hunting, etc and I am rather embarrassed when I think back to the couple threads I waded into thinking I knew it all, only to discover I didn't know anything! Learning in a vacuum is tough!

When I was overseas flying missions in my C-17, this was how I passed the time during my crew rests, if my crew wasn't dragging me out for schnitzel and beer, chicken tava, donners, or some such.

And what I appreciate the most are the "greybeards" like Kraigwy, Art, Scorch, Tikirocker, the staff, and others, who patiently shared their wisdom.

Last edited by globemaster3; January 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:27 PM   #57
Shane Tuttle
Staff

There was a trend I swore would take off like a rocket back when I started here that, I'm guessing, fizzled out in sad fashion. There were several members that I ended up getting to know via PM. Our conversations were a lot more informal and shared/exchanged ideas to no end. One member, Trapper L, mentored me on getting my wife's Savage Model 12 in .22-250 set up for target shooting and reloading said cartridge.

There just doesn't seem to be much of that, anymore. At least no one is really talking about it.

That was the good ole days to me.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 8, 2013, 09:03 PM   #58
BGutzman

I really liked Wild Alaska... Darn fella cut me a deal on a custom 460 Rowland that was unbelievable. The guy had a lot to offer and was a character like many of us... I understand he is staring on some tv show or something now... Not really my business but I am grateful for his kindness and his interesting character...

I have come to make true friends among a few in here and at least respect from and for a few others... There is much to learn and much to offer.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:30 PM   #59
B. Lahey

I also miss Wildalaska, however, he is in a new reality show starting soon:
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-sched...135360.42657.1

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; January 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Disclosure of membership status
Old January 8, 2013, 09:45 PM   #60
SPEMack618

While, I wasn't here during the "old days", I have found that I can pass hours of time, and still feel productive by just clicking on certain members profiles and reading through thier old posts.

The late Dave McCracken is a fellow whose wisdom I have greatly come to appreciate since becoming a memeber here.

"Put some wear marks on it from practice" has entered my daily lexicon.

Also, there is nothing quite like reading one of Captain Stuarts war/hunting stories.

And furthermore, I feel smarter every time I read an article that Glenn posts. Which is more than I can say about my fresh PSCY classes.

And in regards to Shane, there are a couple of guys that I met electronically here that I bounce PMs back and fourth with. So I think that still goes on a little bit.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating, I've found TFl to become a virtual barber shop full of great discussions and occassional old shotgun for sell behind the door.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:03 PM   #61
spanishjames

My ribs hurt from laughing so much about that "assault tuna", and that's just from the first few posts. Anyone who needs a good laugh HAS to read some of that. I'll give you guys one quote from the thread:

Quote:
RonL: I've always felt that an octopus with legal 18 inch tentacles and extended magazine is a more impressive man-stopper at closer range due to the wider pattern spread. That and the fact that they won't penetrate walls inside the home makes it ideal home defense weapon. Sure, the tuna is a versatile weapon, but face it, an octopus or the snubnose piranah makes a better defensive weapon for moderate to very close ranges. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=tuna
Old January 8, 2013, 10:07 PM   #62
SPEMack618

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot, but another TFL old-timer is the great LawDog and his ever popular LawDog files.

You will never laugh so hard as you will the first time you read the Purple Gorilla or the Armadillo story.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:27 PM   #63
ehenz

I've been gone for ten years and my user name and password still work, amazing!
Old January 9, 2013, 12:12 AM   #64
mr kablammo

On and off I have been here 12 years. Originally joined as Bam Bam but I forgot the PW and lost the email account used to register so I re-joined as Mr Kablammo. I remember the Gun Kid turmoil. The Lawdog files were always entertaining. My minor contribution was the suggestion of the now-dizappeart 'puking smiley'. Someone else made the icon. Being at the PC U of Buffalo the TFL was a good forum to learn about firearms and communicate with politically conservative persons. I still buy SWAT to indirectly support TFL.

Oh, a favorite post in the Shotgun forum was the LEO that left Dragon's Breath pyro shells in his shotgun after he went to the range. That night his wife had to blast at a home invader entering and leaving by a window.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:35 AM   #65
kayakersteve

I remember when everyone loved to post and comment on playboy penguin's great gun photos.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; January 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Disclosure of membership status
Old March 19, 2013, 06:51 PM   #66
Thumper

Thanks for all the memories, Rich.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:12 AM   #67
pesta2

Miss playboypenguin and wildalaska
Old March 25, 2013, 08:11 PM   #68
Kilroy08

I was an obnoxious goober and went away for a few years.

Then came back when I had learned some common decency. After getting over the shock that my user id and password were still valid, I proceeded to ask for enlightenment of a few questions I had and try to help others with their questions.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:29 PM   #69
tmorone

+1 to wildalaska

andallthefunnystuffwildalaskasaid
Old March 25, 2013, 09:07 PM   #70
Fishing_Cabin

I lurked here before joining...

Im still waiting for a good assault wheelbarrow thread.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:30 PM   #71
ehenz

I lurk, a ton!

Edit: oop, i see my last post was in this thread 2 months ago. Lol
Old March 26, 2013, 09:03 PM   #72
geetarman

I don't remember when I joined. I was working at the time and not post much.

I am ever amazed how much knowledge is shared here on many different facets of the shooting sports.

I admire many posters here who can answer questions without talking down to you. The ignore feature works fine for those who just want to argue. Fortunately, there are not many.

I do sometimes feel the mods are too quick to shut down a thread, but that decision is not mine to make and I can live with it.

I just read an interesting story about Paul "Bear" Bryant. As he says, "It don't cost nuthin' to be nice."

Most on the forum take that to heart and I, for one, appreciate it.

Carpe Cerveza