The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Randolph_Howell

a nagging question about the Rock Crusher

I have what I assume to be a Rock Crusher. It has in raised letters casting on one side "RCBS" and on the other "RC" and then is stamped A-1. But, from what I have read the A-2 was a heavier press and was discontinued. Was the A-2 the predecessor to the Rock Crusher? I assume the Rock Crusher got its' nickname from the RC cast in the side.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:12 PM   #2
dmickey

The RC is for Rock Chucker! I have two of the A-2 presses and you're right. They are massive!
Old March 21, 2009, 01:48 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I assume the Rock Crusher got its' nickname from the RC cast in the side.
The acronym "RCBS" originally came from the first press made by the company. It was called the "Rock Chucker Bullet Swager". The original design was created to accept special dies for forming .224" jacketed bullets from spent .22 Long and Long Rifle hulls. Hence, the Rock Chucker bullet.

The Rock Chucker presses now continue to wear that name. (or initials)
Old March 21, 2009, 02:45 AM   #4
snuffy

Fred Huntington was the guy that started RCBS.
Here's an biography;

RCBS, Inc. was founded by Fred Huntington in 1943 in Oroville, California and later became one of the world's largest manufacturers of reloading equipment. The name RCBS is derived from the name of the dies the company was founded to produce: "Rock Chuck Bullet Swage."

As few good varmint bullets were produced prior to the early 1940's Huntington decided to make his own and designed dies to swage .22 rimfire cartridge cases to form jackets for those bullets.

Below is a reprint of chapter 13 in Sam Fadala's book, "Great Shooters of the World".

Go here to read the rest of the story;

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Fred+huntin...linterest.html

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 21, 2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Jim Watson

I see no mention in old Gun Digests of an RCBS A-1 press, but I do not have a full set for the late 1950s - early 1960s. By the time the first Handloader's Digest came out in 1964, the A-2 was available. Most likely the A-1 was a short term product between the original Model A and the famous A-2.

Does yours have interchangeable shellholders? I suspect that might be the difference between A and A-1.

Somewhere there is a board for reloading equipment collectors, if you could find it, somebody there could tell you more.
Old March 21, 2009, 09:57 AM   #6
45Marlin carbine

at any rate the 'big green' is the ticket for forming brass 'wildcats' and sizeing bottlneck cases. a sort of a 'specialized' piece of reloading equipment. not neccesary for sizeing pistol cases but handy when it's really needed.
Old March 21, 2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Randolph_Howell

Jim, It does take the standard shell holders. This thing weighs about 20 lbs....makes the new ones look puny.

Tags
rcbs