The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2006, 12:32 AM   #1
chaplain john

577 Snider Load

A friend has asked me about finding SMOKELESS Loading data for 577 snider. Anyone have suggestions? I found one Brit Military site that had some discussion but too much information (bullet weight or starting Powder charge for powder brand and or type) was missing for me to give that to him.
He is an experienced reloader who's unable to search for the info because his computer has been setup to filter site content for children; then the password was forgotten by his "sweet and wonderful" rendering him unable to alter the settings. Of course we all know exposure to us awful gun owners and information about guns could damage their little minds thus the filter refuses many gun related sites. But, I stray from the proper subjects sooooo... Can anyone help me to help a friend who desperately wants to go out and try his "new" 577? That is without having to spend a couple-of-hours scrubbing BP residue.
Old September 7, 2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know about smokeless loads for a Snider, but it doesn't take me a couple of hours to scrub the black powder residue out of my Winchester Single Shot. About ten minutes with Windex at the range to get 90% of the soot out, then reclean at home like it was nitro. Easier, actually. Black powder fouling flushes out and a good BP load does not lead the bore.

Maybe one of the fake powders like American Pioneer or Pinnacle.
I wouldn't use Pyrodex, it is actually more corrosive than black, or 777 which is about 15% hotter.
Old March 4, 2020, 03:27 PM   #3
toot44

go with black and never look back!!
Old March 4, 2020, 04:30 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

QuickLOAD thinks Trail Boss is a good powder for this purpose. Start with the initial instruction from Hodgdon for high power rifles by filling the space under the bullet 70% with Trail Boss. However, unlike a high power rifle cartridge, QuickLOAD says you can exceed the .577 Snider's maximum pressure if you get that space over about 86% full of powder, so work up slowly. The .577 operates at about 45 Auto pressures, so you don't want to push it.

The Wikipedia says the Snider's 450-grain bullets went 1300 fps (presumably from the long 36" barrel) and QuickLOAD estimates you will be near peak pressure maximum with Trail Boss when you get there. I just don't blindly trust its pressure calculations, so come up slowly, watching for pressure signs and stop and back of 5% if you get any.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 4, 2020, 08:21 PM   #5
SHR970

I would contact ADI / Thales Australia and ask them if they have any data for TB for the 577. If any of the recent runs of ammo made for Kynoch used it then they would likely have the data.
Old March 5, 2020, 01:59 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

OP is 14 years old.
Loaddata.com has IMR-4198 .577 Snider data though. No idea of the cost.
Old March 5, 2020, 03:07 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

IF anyone cares, CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD 3rd edition shows 30gr of (IMR) 4198 with a 450gr bullet for 1300fps.

Use at your own risk!!
Old March 6, 2020, 01:39 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Yikes! Zombie thread. I forgot to look at the date. Chaplain John hasn't posted since early 2012.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 6, 2020, 11:52 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
QuickLOAD thinks Trail Boss is a good powder for this purpose. Start with the initial instruction from Hodgdon for high power rifles by filling the space under the bullet 70% with Trail Boss. However, unlike a high power rifle cartridge, QuickLOAD says you can exceed the .577 Snider's maximum pressure if you get that space over about 86% full of powder, so work up slowly. The .577 operates at about 45 Auto pressures, so you don't want to push it.

The Wikipedia says the Snider's 450-grain bullets went 1300 fps (presumably from the long 36" barrel) and QuickLOAD estimates you will be near peak pressure maximum with Trail Boss when you get there. I just don't blindly trust its pressure calculations, so come up slowly, watching for pressure signs and stop and back of 5% if you get any.
I've had on and off thoughts of getting a Snider because it's such a big bore cartridge gun, yet it's not some crazy recoiling elephant gun that costs thousands.

What do you think of using Trail Boss and a .60 caliber round ball? Duelist54 has done videos using a .60 caliber ball, but he used black powder and a shortened plastic 24 gauge shotgun hull.