The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 8, 2001, 12:30 AM   #1
dalpra

I've decided to join my brother on his annual deer hunting excursion to Wisconsin. I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy plinking and bullseye shooting with various .22s (I enjoy it, I didn't say I was any good) and recently started high power rifle shooting with an AR-15. I don't own a "hunting" rifle per se, but I'm impressed with a BAR-22 that I picked up last year (accurate and well-made) and thought I might add a BAR centerfire as an all-around hunting rifle (occasional use). I've come across an older (Belgian '69) BAR in .270 Win in very nice condition. What do you all think of this selection? I must confess I have a soft spot for older guns, reminds me of happier times. TIA for your feedback and suggestions.
Old February 8, 2001, 08:45 AM   #2
Pampers

I hunt with a BAR in .308. It's a sweet shootin' reliable rifle. The .270 is an excellent round (Jack O'Conner says so, anyway.) and is quite acceptable for any North American game with the possable exception of brown bears. In other words, you won't go wrong with that rifle/cartridge combination.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old February 8, 2001, 09:09 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The BAR has a good reputation for durability and accuracy; I've killed several deer with the .270's 130-grain bullet...

Good hunting!

Art
Old February 9, 2001, 10:26 PM   #4
BIGR

The Browning Bar is an excellent semi-auto rifle. In my book the best auto for hunting. I enjoy my Browning MK II safari in 30.06 and have taken several deer with it. Accuracy is better than expected for a semi auto.Good luck with your decision.
Old February 9, 2001, 10:58 PM   #5
RickD

What are typical 100 yard groups one could expect from a scoped (or non) Browning?

Rick
Old February 18, 2001, 10:01 PM   #6
Nimrod

If you can deal with the weight they are great hunting rifles. Would not be my choice for high country mountain climbing type hunts where you don't even feel like carrying an extra chapstick because of the weight but they have a good reputation for reliability (as far as semi-autos go) and decent accuracy, again, as far as semi-autos go.
Old February 19, 2001, 09:02 PM   #7
OTIS

Bought a BAR 30.06 in 78 ND have hunted with it off and on ever since. I can't say enough good about it. Have taken several deer and an elk with it. Mine seems ammo sensitive toward reloads. Doesn't like to feed them. That however could be the quality of the reloads that were given to me. The Federal premium in 165 gr BT seems to be the sweet spot for my Browning.
They do however sell the BAR by the pound. That has never really bothered me. Helps on the recoil and accuracy end.
Old February 19, 2001, 09:14 PM   #8
Gewehr98

some BARs have tight chambers

My Belgian '69 Grade 1 in .30-06 hated my handloads, even when my Garand and 1903A1 gobbled them up. A fellow BAR shooter at the range told me I needed small-base sizing dies because of the tight chamber in the Browning. Sure enough, not a problem since...
Old February 20, 2001, 11:33 PM   #9
IronBalls

I asked this awhile ago, and herd its pretty much MOA out to about 200 yards, but then becomes minute of Deer.- Dont know how that equates to what your looking for, but FWIW the newer light weight models shoulder great and finish and ergo's on them are second 2 none.
Old December 5, 2005, 07:19 PM   #10
TommyD243

Browning Bar dissasembly

I recently bought a Browning Bar 338,A rifle I wanted for over 20 years. It is in very good condition, But I'm having trouble with it shooting very tight at 100yds. Four inch groups is the best I've seen with Nosler 250 partitions and 10 different powders.
I was gonna pull the barrel to check it out, but I don't have clue to how it comes off.... Anybody have an idea on dissasembly?

Thanks, Tommy
Old December 5, 2005, 08:46 PM   #11
SageRod

BAR Disassembly...

In the link below, select your BAR on the left.

BAR Manual's
Old December 6, 2005, 01:20 PM   #12
Marky

B.A.R.'s

You probally cant go wrong w/a BAR, i personally prefer the .30cals. over the .27's but that browning is a darn good gun. I recently saw in a gun mag. a new syn. stocked B.A.R. and i would love to have that thing, and of course it would be very safe as far as needing a second shot or 3rd. or 4th. and so on. see ya