The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old December 18, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1
strange246

CDNN Lost a customer today.

2 Days ago I emailed CDNN because they're website showed 16rd factory EAA Witness mags 9mm, full size frame $17.99 but the site showed out of stock, so I emailed asking when they would have more as they're site has shown out of stock for about a month now, I got a reponse back saying "Sorry but we have no ETA, check the site in about 2 weeks" Well this morning they sent out an email with current "specials" on it, one of the items is the same 16rd, 9mm Witness mags but for $29.99! I found this curious so I went on their site and in the magazine section for EAA Witness mags they list the same mags in 2 places, same description, same fitment, 2 different prices, the ones for $29.99 are in stock ready for ordering, the ones for $17.99 are Out Of Stock! So I called and asked about it, and they guy tells me first that they're different mags! I said that the description is identical and it's the same mag, so he says "well...umm....well, those for $17.99 were the PREBAN hi-cap mags, these are new since the ban was lifted, now are you interested in ordering some?" I asked if I could buy them for the $17.99 and he said "No, they're different, so they're $29.99" I told him that I have 5 of the "old Preban" ones and that if I needed more I'll find someone else selling "The Old ones" and buy 'em from them....FYI EAA Never changed anything, the "Old" mags were never marked LE only or anything, they're the same thing!...

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/
Old December 18, 2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

I've dealt with CDNN one time. It was a bad experience, so I've never bought from them again. About six years ago, there was a flood of WWII surplus .45 acp ammo that hit the market, and I ordered five cases from CDNN. Three cases arrived via UPS, along with a note from CDNN that said they had made a mistake on the shipping quote and the other two cases wouldn't be sent until I gave them another $XX.xx for shipping. Several heated phone calls later, they finally caved and honored their original quote, but I never ordered from them again, and never will.

SASS 47015
Old December 18, 2004, 12:32 PM   #3
abelew

Did you stop to think about this for a min?

Maybe the 30.00 mags are New from factory, and 19.00 ones are used. Just cuz its the same mag, dosent mean one is same quality or as desirable as another of same kind.

Since the ban was lifted, they can sell you new made mags, instead of recycled pre-ban mags.
Old December 18, 2004, 01:30 PM   #4
guntotin_fool

I have bought several times from them and never had a problem.
mags. parts and ammo all arrived as ordered on time and in a timely fashion.
Old December 18, 2004, 02:31 PM   #5
old_ironsights

Business is business.

Strange246, CDNN made their position clear.

If their cost was higher on new mags, that cost was passed along to you. There is nothing new about that, or individual to you. If you were in business, you recognize that. Get a grip.

And, jbar4ranch, shipping is the bane of business. If they honored their original deal, that would solve it for me. As for the "heated phone calls", I am of the opinion, having dealt extensively with CDNN that you were the one that got heated. Am I right? Then, you pass up 6 years of possibly great deals because you're sulking?

I can attest that doing retail business with the public is a pain-in-the-ass... and you both provide good examples of that.
Old December 18, 2004, 02:58 PM   #6
Jehzsa

Grip can be obtained here, http://www.woodgrips.com/
Old December 18, 2004, 03:11 PM   #7
spacemanspiff

i'd call them back and ask to speak with a manager. cdnn has always bent over backwards to make sure their customers are happy.
Old December 18, 2004, 05:03 PM   #8
eviltravis

Jehzsa

Now that's funny
Old December 18, 2004, 05:08 PM   #9
strange246

old_ironsights sounds like we might have touched a nerve on your own business practices? Get a grip you say? show me where the price of hicap mags has gone up since the ban was lifted? Everyone I know of has found that hicap prices have come down, including CDNN's when they dropped the prices from $30 down to $18 when the ban was lifted, the mags are the same, and even ordering direct from EAA, they dropped their price too? So where does the price increase come from? Sounds a tad like Greed to me? Especially when I get an email from them the day before saying "No ETA" on mags and then the very next day send an email out saying that they have them "on sale!" for $30 when THEIR OWN WEBSITE shows the same product "SOLD OUT" for $18 but because they want to suck every last dollar out of everyone they wont sell them for that? Please...

As far as jbar4ranch's problem with the shipping bit, you sound as if he should have been happy with having to call and bitch? They made the mistake, not him, thats like buying a car and when you go to pick it up, they tell you, "well we made a mistake on the price, you can have the car but not the wheels untill you give us $XX"...You choose to work in retail, no-one forces you so as you put it, Get a grip....

Old December 18, 2004, 05:42 PM   #10
45 Fu

Been dealing with CDNN for years, never a problem. In the catalog (and I believe I've seen it on the web) they stste that prices fluctuate due to quantity, quality, and demand for products. Perhaps the mags you saw cost them more to obtain than the ones you wanted? Perhaps they were of better quality or were in better shape?

This is much ado about nothing. They're good people. Calm down and give them another try.
Old December 18, 2004, 06:03 PM   #11
GunsnRovers

CDNN is a liquidator. They buy in bulk X quantity at X price and sell them out. When they buy again, it's Y quantity at Y price. Retail pricing changes accordingly.

What it means if you have to watch and buy when you see it as the item and price can and will change based on what they negociate

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old December 18, 2004, 06:11 PM   #12
Jehzsa

http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/gallery/customers
Old December 18, 2004, 06:32 PM   #13
old_ironsights

strange246, you obviously have no grasp of how business is done, and explanations are wasted on you. CDNN didn't lose a thing.

Old Ironsights
Old December 18, 2004, 06:55 PM   #14
strange246

old_ironsights, No explanation was asked for, however you felt the need to give me a lesson on how much retail sucks, and tell me to get a grip, I posted to let people know how they do business, and the fact that when I called they outright lied about the whole situation, and as far as CDNN not losing a thing, I have a dealers account with them and have spent a good bit of money with them, it's primadonna attitudes like yours that end up causing small businesses to fail because alot of people would rather spend some money in a local small business than say Wal-mart, but when the people in small businesses have attitudes of "Take it or leave it" or "It's my shop so I'm always right!" or maybe feel that losing a few customers is not a big deal, that causes people to spend their money elsewhere, next thing you know, the small business guys are crying and wondering why the big chains put them out of business. You seem to either want to insult people or start a fight, dont bother replying to this post further as I will ignore your comments, Good day sir.

As far as people who were asking about quality, the mags are identical, new from factory, the salesman even confirmed that this morning. I can understand that they pay X amount for something then if they're cost goes up naturally the price goes up, but when across the board hicaps have come down in price there's no reason for the price hike other than greed.

Old December 18, 2004, 09:06 PM   #15
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
And, jbar4ranch, shipping is the bane of business. If they honored their original deal, that would solve it for me. As for the "heated phone calls", I am of the opinion, having dealt extensively with CDNN that you were the one that got heated. Am I right? Then, you pass up 6 years of possibly great deals because you're sulking?
Negative

SASS 47015
Old December 18, 2004, 09:19 PM   #16
abelew

Do you own CDNN?

Do you have a signed contract with them?
Do you have a verbal agreement, with a witness?
If you do not, then CDNN can raise or lower their prices as they choose. Just because you dont like it, doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means that particular item is a bad deal. Wait a little while, and they might have a good or better deal on something else. Free country, free trade, free choice.
They are free to raise their prices.
You are free not to pay those prices.
And I imagine that they are in the business of greed, as they are a for profit company. If you have a job, then you are too.......thats what makes our economy work, people want more stuff (which is defined as greed).
Old December 18, 2004, 09:24 PM   #17
Sir William

I do not do business with CDNN. They are deceptive in their business practices. They "got" me on grips and then attempted to pull a S/H shenanigan too. I do not do business with CDNN.
Old December 19, 2004, 01:05 PM   #18
Jehzsa

http://www.getgrip.com/
Old December 19, 2004, 01:27 PM   #19
gudel

Quote:
I have bought several times from them and never had a problem.
mags. parts and ammo all arrived as ordered on time and in a timely fashion.
Same here. I wish they would do actual shipping, it would make me buy more from them.
Old December 19, 2004, 07:53 PM   #20
TEXAS LAWMAN

I shop at CDNN

I have bought firearms and related supplies from CDNN about a dozen times over the past 3 years. Although I don't feel they ever stiffed me, a couple of times I had a minor problem with the purchase. Both times they refunded my purchase price without any hassle.

CDNN accepts my credit card with no additional fee. I live close enough that I can pick up my order, or if inconvenient, they ship it at a reasonable price. Their prices change constantly because they buy odd lots, one-of-a-kinds, and close-outs. Before the Clinton Crime Bill expired on September 13, 2004, I purchased many factory-demo Glock magazines (LEO/Govt-only) at a great price and resold them to many other cops at a great price.

No complaints from me on CDNN!!
Old December 19, 2004, 11:37 PM   #21
old_ironsights

Sir William writes, "I do not do business with CDNN. They are deceptive in their business practices. They "got" me on grips and then attempted to pull a S/H shenanigan too. I do not do business with CDNN."

Your post, Sir William, would have had some credibility if you had stated specfics. "...deceptive business practices..."got" me on grips...shenanigan...?"

Old Ironsights
Old December 22, 2004, 11:30 AM   #22
m0ntels

Just placed my first order with CDNN on Monday and it showed up here already with no problems. I do S&R some at work and 2 days from Texas to PA is pretty damn good even if it isnt the holidays. With any discount house though, I'm sure there is alot of room for things to get goofed up too. Probably not the highest paid employees in town.

Randy
Old December 26, 2004, 12:56 AM   #23
Robert Hairless

Let's not be too hasty in concluding that the person who posted the original message is off base. If you will take the time to read the numerous complaints posted by an overwhelming number of people who have been done wrong you will begin to recognize some simple truths:
1. All guns are defective.

2. All vendors are deceptive.

3. All accessories are unreliable.

4. All gun writers are liars or stupid or dense or ignorant.

5. All gun magazines are directed by their advertisers.

6. All gunsmiths are incompetent.

7. All ammunitiation is underpowered.

8. All forums are operated by power mad despots who create these forums so they can block people from using them.
It evidently is, therefore, no small miracle when anything works and we therefore ought to be grateful and stop the constant whining, complaining, and bickering.
Old December 26, 2004, 11:27 AM   #24
FlyinGN

I have to step up for CDNN. I've delt once with them and was very happy.

Frank
Old December 26, 2004, 09:00 PM   #25
Indy_SIG

Quote:
I can attest that doing retail business with the public is a pain-in-the-ass... and you both provide good examples of that.
Try selling the public guns! I have no clue why I have for so many years. Every customer, all seemingly named Bubba, want the world and, of course, expect not to pay for it. It's mostly a hobby-business for me these days....would never want to operate a full-time shop again. :barf: