The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2002, 08:56 AM   #1
JASON KRASSOW

What is the story on this shotgun?

I was just at Big 5 and looked at a rather interesting shoutgun, made by New England Arms. It is a 12g single shot, silver/nickel with a pistol grip. It has a black butt stock with storage for shells in the back. It appears to break down for storage easily. The box said "marine shotgun". I think it would make a great camping addition. Any one know anything about it? Thanks
Old May 24, 2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Frank

That sounds like a Harrington and Richardson Topper variation. H & R and New England Firearms are, I think, the same company. H & R Toppers have been around for years. I've seen more than one that were illegally cut down for vehicles or to shoot sharks before pulling them onto the boat. They're good guns for the money. That gun at Big 5 seems like it would be a good camping or shark fishing gun. Another good s/s break open, if you don't mind a .410, is a Snake Charmer. One of my buddies has a ranch and that's his only gun. He's had it for several years and even though I keep telling him to buy a used 12 ga. pump, he keeps that little Snake Charmer.

Here's a site I found with some info on H & R and NEF: http://buffaloclassic.tripod.com/ Check the Tamer on the H & R section. Here's a link to the Snake Charmer: http://www.gamaliel.com/guns/snakecharmer/
Old May 24, 2002, 09:18 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Around here they're often kept as "Snake" guns, or truck guns. The H&Rs/NEFs are rugged, light, simple to operate and keep on working for generations.

Downside,most have severe kick, a combination of very light weight and stocks with mucho drop. With light loads or for the more recoil tolerant, fine little shooters.

That PG has to go though....