The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2006, 03:03 PM   #1
seabat

in need of good pheasant loads

Being new to shotgun reloading I have studied the reloading manuals to death! I have come up with 2 loads in 12 guage I think will work but would like anyones input that can help by offering their personal loads that work! I have 2 loads figured now and they are: #1) rem sts 2 3/4 hull, 1 3/8 oz of copper #4's, rem sp-12 wad, longshot powder and rem primers. #2) rem sts 2 3/4 hulls, 1 1/2 oz of copper #4's, waa12r wad, longshot powder and win 209 primers. The first load I listed maxes out @ 1295 fps, and the second load maxes out @ 1260 fps. From what I gather, the 2 loads I have selected are about what seasoned pheasant hunters use according to the hodgdon rep I spoke 2. Again, any input would be greatly welcomed.
Old March 21, 2006, 03:59 PM   #2
kudu

I wouldn't go past 1 1/4oz loads for pheasant, get a bit more speed out of them with the lighter load and harder plated shot. I would load #4's for lonnnggg shots, and #5's and 6's for general hunting. If I decide to take a big 12ga out, I just substitute some hard 5's in my target shells of 1 1/8oz, but usually I take a 28ga with 3/4oz of 5's.
Old March 21, 2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Scorch

My load is in the WW loading booklet. It duplicates the old WW-Upland load. 1-1/4 oz of #5s at 1380 fps. Uses WW red wads and 531 powder. It will drive a #5 clear through a goose! Sounds like a rifle going off and kicks like a mule!!
Old March 21, 2006, 06:33 PM   #4
lizziedog1

Private hunting clubs also place limits on shot size. Many of them limit the maximum size to #6's. This is for safety reason when there are many hunters in close proximity to each other.
Old March 21, 2006, 11:12 PM   #5
shwerp

I agree with a few others here, look into loading 5's or 6's. Step down to a 1 1/4 oz or 1 1/8oz load. With longshot you can really find some hot loads, but if you pushed them around 1400 fps I would think you would get a pretty nice pattern. The faster you push them, the more inconsistent your pattern will be, in my opinion. If you go on hodgdons website I think they have a bunch of loading data you can d/l or print off. Good luck
Old March 21, 2006, 11:25 PM   #6
roy reali

Re:seabat

I do not reload for shotgun, but a friend of mine does. He patterns everything he reloads. He keeps immaculate records of all his loads for all his shotguns. He can tell you which combination of components produce the best patterns for each of his guns.

You may say that he is obsessive, but I hardly ever see him miss a shot in the field.
Old March 22, 2006, 09:20 AM   #7
seabat

shot size@load make-up

I got the info for my loads from several places, 1 being the book reloading for shotgunners. In it the auther says to use #4 copper shot and the rep @ hodgdon told me the same thing.( I hunt on private property, farmers and good friends, so shot size doesnt matter as pertains to gun club rules.) The powder longshot is replacing hs-7 and seems to cover all my needs according to the reloading tables I got from hodgdon. Once again, I got the 2 3/4, 12 guage, 1 1/2 oz load of copper #4's from the above mentioned book. That load was reputed to be the end to all cripples by the author. Maybe I was reading to much into what was written? I do realize that the lighter 1 3/8's oz of copper #4's will travel faster and might just be my ticket! What I would really like to know from you guys are the personal loads that you have found that work.
Old March 22, 2006, 06:10 PM   #8
shwerp

Your asking for personal hunting loads in this thread but so far no one loads pheasant loads that heavy. It sounds like you are already set on the load you want to use. I guess the main point is use what makes you happy. If your not comfortable with it, then you will be thinking about missing shots before you even pull the trigger, then when you miss, you will think about how you loaded your shells. If you like using 1 1/2 oz of copper plated 4's, go ahead. Like previous posts, its overkill. Go into a store and look at factory pheasant loads, they are primarily loaded with 5's and 6's. Just a bit of information here. The bb count on 1 1/2 oz of #4's is 204. The bb count on 1 1/4 oz of #5's is 215. You will have a few more pellets heading out there faster then the 4's and probably at about the same pressure if not a bit less. I'm done, good luck reloading and good luck hunting.

Here are some loads that work well also, they are 1 3/8oz, a bit closer to what you are looking for. They use Hs-7 but you said you have that covered. Pressures might vary due to different powder. This should push it around 1285fps.

1 3/8oz hs-7 win 209 waa12r 38.5gr/9,900lup