The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 4, 2006, 03:07 AM   #1
GLP Standard

Question for LEO's (North Carolina specific, or general)

Im very interested in becoming a LEO, and working my way up and continuing it as a career. Ive wanted to be in LE since I was maybe 12 years old. Im 21 now, working Security, trying to become armed through my work, so it will look better when I finally go to BLET (NC's version of the "Police Academy")

I graduated High School, and meet all the requirements to become a LEO in this state, and there is nothing that would disqualify me (aside from maybe past Marijuana use, but that is all behind me, and I havent even looked back, and never will)

Im starting to discover how difficult it is to become a LEO, and Im thinking of going back to school (Community College) and getting a 2 year degree. I planned on Criminal Justice, but I read somewhere (cant remember where, may have been on these forums) that a degree in Criminal Justice isnt really what PD's and Sherriffs Departments are looking for, and that a Business Degree would suit their needs better, and that if for some reason I dont decide to become a LEO, I have something to fall back on. Is this true?

Should I stick with a degree in Criminal Justice, or go for a Business Degree?

What other advice can you give me for getting my ticket into LE?

Its always been a dream of mine, and I honestly cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. I want to help people, and help make the streets safer, and I think being a cop would be the best way to do it. If I had the choice between a career in something no affiliated with LE making $50K a year, or being an ordinary street cop making $30K a year, as weird as it sounds, I think id rather be a cop and make less. Im willing to do anything necessary to achieve my goal, and I wont give up until someone with the authority to do so, comes right out and tells me I can never become a cop.
Old February 4, 2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Sir William

Most LE agencies are upping the required credit hours from a colege/university. A degree is not required in most cases though. The idea of a non-CRJ degree is a good one. I had social work and safety engineering as a double major with CRJ as my minor and psychology as an area of interest. I spent many hours in laboratories to gain scientific principles. I strongly suggest science courses and psychology myself. Have you checked into reserves/auxiliary?
Old February 4, 2006, 05:55 AM   #3
GLP Standard

Ive thought about going into the Military, as I know that would help me out a lot, but I havent given it much thought, and its not something I would just do for the hell of it. If I join, I want to make sure thats Ive made up my mind 100%. Thats a tough decision for me. Ive considered it, but aside from just thinking about it, I havent given it much thought. Id much rather go back to school for a couple years and get some kind of degree, than go and fight, and possibly die in something I dont even believe in.

I know that in most cases in the state of NC, a degree is not "required" but if Im not mistaken, its becoming mandatory for a lot of states, so its just a matter of time. Plus, a degree would give me a much wider choice of fields to go into in LE. And after all...I dont know how it works in other states, but in this state, you have to be sponsored to go into BLET by a PD. No PD is going to sponsor a 21 year old kid who barely graduated high school and used to smoke Marijuana and has no College credits to back him up, over someone in their late 20/early 30s who has a degree in a field related to LE. Maybe im Mistaken on that, but thats the impression Ive gotten so far. If it was me doing the hiring, id take anyone that meets the requirements and is honest. After all, the streets need all the good help they can get to keep them safe.

Do you mean that a degree in Criminal Justice is often overlooked, or looked down upon, or that a degree in CJ with say, some courses in Phychology to back it up would be better?
Old February 4, 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Educational requirements vary from department to department. Here, an associate degree in criminal justice is the minimum requirement. A bachelor's degree can be in areas other than criminal justice, but the associate degree must be in criminal justice. Agencies that work a lot of white collar crime, like the FBI, often want to see schooling in accounting, etc. I recommend you speak with a recruiter from the agency you're interested in.

Military experience is a big plus, but it's not a necessity in most departments.

Prior pot smoking shouldn't hurt your chances, as long as you're honest about it. The question will be asked during your interview and your polygraph exam, but they're more concerned with your honesty than whether or not you smoked a few joints.

Choose an agency and make yourself well known. Ask about internships or ride-alongs, and be prepared to spend six months or more going through the application process. The squeaky wheel gets the grease .

Remember, in the long run, the more "quality control" an agency has, the more you'll be able to take pride in both your department and yourself.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 4, 2006, 01:52 PM   #5
steve154

I am in NY so my opinion may not be applicable to your situation. It has become a general rule that a degree in Criminal Justice is not going to do you any good. A degree in psychology is a good idea(IMO)The idea that you will have something to fall back on is extremely important. Most places are requiring a 2 year degree before you can even apply and that trend is not going away. Understand that you will be competing with people who have 4 year degrees and in some cases higher. The more edge you can give yourself the better.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but I think that it is important to get a little life experience before coming on the job and I wish they would make the minimum age higher. I think it is important to have empathy and understand what it is like to live in the real world of bills and feeding yourself.(not to say that you don't. I am making an observation that many 21 year olds don't) When looking at things that way you have a different thought process about handing out $150.00 tickets like candy.

How much marihuana use are you talking about? Nobody wants a former "pot head". Experimentation is explainable and won't be a huge hurtle. The more time you put between yourself and marihuana use the better. Any other drug use will flat out disqualify you in most parts of the country. Non-negotiable.

I commend you for wanting to become a police officer. It is an honorable way to make a living as long as you maintain your honor. I can't think of a thing that I would rather do for a living and have never regretted my decison. Go to school, stay clean and out of trouble. Make yourself a reliable person in school and in every job that you have and you will be fine. Also, if you are willing to relocate there are a bunch of places that are all but begging for qualified candidates(Phoenix) and even have signing and relocation bonuses. If you are agressive you will find your opportunity.
Old February 4, 2006, 05:23 PM   #6
GLP Standard

Well, you asked how much Marijuana Ive smoked, so Ill be honest. I'll get flamed for this by some of you, but since honesty is where its at in this whole game, I may as well tell you. I started when I was in 10th grade, and didnt stop until about 4 or 5 months ago. I rarely ever bought it, mainly because I thought it was a waste of money, and mostly only did it when my friends had it. Ive done it a lot more than a hiring LEA would like to hear, and I know that there isnt much time inbetween now and my last time using it, but as I said in my first post, im 100% over it. I stopped one day, realizing that it was about that time, and never looked back. When I started, I never intended to do it forever. I knew I would stop some day. It was just a socializing thing between me and friends. I never considered myself a pot head, no matter how much some of you might. Im kind of embarrassed to say that I only stopped so recently, but Im still young, I was 20 when I stopped. I dont even know why I did it as much as I did, but if I could take it all back, I would.

Ive never done any other illegal drugs. I made it a point to stay away from them, not only because I knew it would kill my chances, but because theyre not for me, and I think drugs are a nasty habit. Since its only been a few months since my last time using, I was going to wait atleast a year. I called the Winston-Salem PD, because they are recruiting, and they told me all the minimum requirements, which I meet all of them, aside from them telling me that you cant have smoked any marijuana for a year prior to your application. Do you think this much usage will disqualify me, if I put as much time between me and the usage as possible? I know you said they dont want any former potheads, but thats really not me. Im not your typical burnt out loser thats addicted to it, and buys a bag a day. Like I said, it was just a socializing thing between friends, and come to think of it, it was really never important to me. But unfortunately they had it, so I joined in.

As for getting myself some "real life experience", thats exactly what the Chief of Police in Reidsville told me after I went to him to see if he would sponsor me. He told me to put as much time between me and my past as possible, think about getting a 2 year degree of some sort as it will help a lot, and to go and get a job in Security somewhere. Well, I know its not much, but I did exactly what he told me to do so far, and Ive been working for Lankford Protective Services, a very respectable security company in Greensboro, since August. Like I said, its not much, but itll teach me more about the real world than working as a cook in an Italian restaurant will, and atleast its the right field for what I want to go into for a career.

So based on what Ive told everyone, and your judgement as LEO's, what do you think, in all honesty? If you want to tell me that you feel that Im a pothead and if you were Chief of Police, theres no way you would hire me, then thats fine. I cant say Ill agree, but hey, I can take it if thats the way it really is. I wont be happy knowing that I wont be able to do something Ive wanted to do since I was 12, but I can take it. If you feel theres a chance I can still pursue my dream, then whats your advice on the best way to do so?
Old February 4, 2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

If you check out in every other area, I still don't think it's going to hurt you. Tell the recruiter up front, and even say you'll gladly go through random drug testing (which you will, anyway )

Of more concern will be your friends. You are about to dump their ideas and do a 180. Can you resist their peer pressure? Can you withstand being ostracized? And most importantly, if it would ever become necessary, can you live up to your oath and take enforcement action against those that were once (and maybe still are) your friends?

You're going to find out that, once you pin on that Badge, your circle of friends is going to change considerably. Some won't change a bit while they're around you, most will become more reserved and cautious in what they say & do around you (read: tension), and a few will dump you altogether. Other, new friends will come out of the woodwork with some being sincere and appreciative, while others will have darker, ulterior motives.

Be ready for big changes in your life.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 4, 2006, 05:54 PM   #8
GLP Standard

Well, I guess a good thing about all that, is that I dont have any friends in this state I moved up here from Florida last April, and havent bothered to make any friends. Maybe that played a big part on my quitting Marijuana. But I dont really think it had anything to do with it, aside from making it a little bit easier. I would have still quit anyway. Im just trying to stay out of trouble. I was a fairly good kid growing up, and aside from my past usage, Ive never really done much wrong. I always tried to stay out of trouble, I was always quiet, never into getting drunk all that much, havent stolen anything since I was 12... I really think Ive come a long way in the past few months. I took my life, which wasnt going anywhere, I was always bored, working a job I hated, making crap money, and I pretty much turned it around over night, and decided I wanted to stop doing what I was doing and start working on pursuing my dream. Id just hate for someone to tell me th at as much as Ive used in the past would disqualify me. I believe in honesty though, and Im aware that they do a polygraph, so Im willing to be 100% honest with myself and everyone else. Luckily, it doesnt sound like Id be disqualified. If anyone else has anything to add based on what Ive told you, feel free.

The WSPD told me that they try and work with everyone thats up front with them, and that if youre honest, theyll do their best to get you a career, but the best thing to do is be honest in the first place, and not lie about anything.
Old February 4, 2006, 07:46 PM   #9
miconoakisland

Sheriff

Try setting an appointment with Forsyth County Sheriff Bill Schatzman, he's a good man. He's ex-FBI and no-bull. I went to school with his daughter back in the 70's and 80's. He'll steer you straight.

Also, have you thought about the Coast Guard? On the job all the time, real life experience. Gunner's mate, security, drug interdiction. Great duty locales here in the states. Great option!

Some things to think about.
Old February 4, 2006, 09:26 PM   #10
steve154

GLP,

The Captain has it right. I would never flame you for being honest and make no judgement of anyone who smokes some weed.(I had my own indiscretions when I was I kid ) Sell it cause you are too lazy to get a real job and think that you can some how slide by while the rest of us suckers work and I have a problem. By pothead I meant someone who is the equivalent of an alcoholic. Doesn't sound like that was you. If you were on here saying that you had a burglary, controlled substance possession, or something like that then I would say to just forget it. You have a bunch of stuff going for you and understand what it is going to take. Stay straight up and honest. This will be a long term deal for you. Slip up just once and you have ruined all the work you have done. The stuff in your past can be explained as youthful indescretion. You are an adult now and have to act like one. Go to school, keep on working and be the best employee that the security company has ever had. Create a long term record of reliabilty. You know where you want to go. Get there.
Old February 4, 2006, 09:43 PM   #11
18DAI

Honesty IS the best policy ,in this buisness.To make sure most agency's will polygraph you as part of the hiring process. I don't think your previous usage is a plus ,but I wouldn't cancel you out because of it. Try the Randleman NC police dept ,or the Randolph County Sheriff. If you get on with a small town agency while you are getting your 2 year degree ,it will make you alot more attractive to the larger municipalities. After you have 2 years street experience and an associates degree ,you will loose that "hat in your hand" feeling when interviewing. You seem to have the determination and are doing the right things ,I wish you luck in your pursuit. Regards 18DAI.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:58 PM   #12
GLP Standard

Thanks for understanding my situation, and being honest about it. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing that a few LEO's have told me that my idiotic behavior in the past hasnt necessarily disqualified me. Like I said, Ive dreamed of being a cop since I was 12 years old. My favorite shows are Third Watch, Cops, and Real Stories of the Highway Patrol. Theres not too many teenagers that want to become LEO's, and Im willing to do the best job that I can if I ever achieve that goal.

I think what Im going to do, is work on going to school starting sometime after April (you have to be here for 12 months to get in-state tuition. Im still not 100% certain on what I should study, but thats something that I can talk to a few PD's or Sheriffs Departments about. Maybe sometime in 2007 when I have been clean for over a year, while still in school, Ill work on trying to get hired by a smaller PD or SD. Id have a lot on my plate having to go to school for a degree, and working and going to BLET for 3 months, 40-50 hours a week, but I think it would be all worth it.

If for some reason I can't get into school (my grades werent the best back in high school, and getting financial assistance might be a problem) then I think Im going to just bight the bullet, and join the military. Ill definately look into the Coast Guard like miconoakisland suggested, and see if its for me. I think id rather join the Coast Guard than go over to Iraq and do grunt work possibly getting killed.

If anyone has anything else to add, ill check this thread periodically to get anymore advice I can, and once again, thank you for all your time. If and when I do become a LEO, Ill definately make another post on here so you can all congradulate me