The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2001, 07:30 PM   #1
Janvs

Hi all,

How many reloads should I expect to get out of standard 9mm brass? I've reloaded .45 for some time and I loose them before they wear out.

I am, of course, looking for all the correct signs of case deterioration such as bulging and mouth spliting. I'm just wondering if you guys, in the absence of these "symptoms" just throw your brass away after a certain number of reloads.

Thanks!

janvs
Old June 2, 2001, 08:44 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Much depends on how hot the loads are that were fired in the 9mm case, it being a high pressure round. Another factor is how well supported the case is in the particular pistol from which it's fired. I have lost count of how many times I've reloaded 9mm cases of several makes fired from Brownings and CZ75s, primarily. After 4 or 5 loadings, I do relegate these cases to standard velocity target loads.

Best.
Old June 2, 2001, 09:41 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Kinda same as Stephen.

Any reload to be used for self defense is new. Most range-type/accuracy stuff is 1-2 firings & field-stuff is whatever's left - I figure I'm lucky to find better than 50% in the woods anyway. This for semis.

Revolvers are a whole 'nother story & if you don't bell case mouths excessively, you can expect many, many reloads. A lot has to do with being able to find them ...

Serious head bulges or split mouths git pitched. I don't throw away any brass unless it shows "the signs." For rifles, it's before the 4th trimming.

Old June 3, 2001, 12:58 AM   #4
zot

some much 9mm brass, I reload alot for 9mm, I like the nato
brass, but all has to be checked for length, some guns will
spit out perfect brass, shoot a M-11 and you have garbage brass, HPs treat the brass nice, only gun that does, maybe
a old Colt 9mm, just a thought, too much 9mm brass to worry if its good or not, thow the junk out.
Old June 3, 2001, 10:57 PM   #5
dick w. holliday

i'm like the other guys in that there seems to be so much around that i'll probably never live long enough to wear out what i've got (picked up 100 rounds +- today). if you're not running over with it i'd do it like i do my 38 super and try to load it all---but if i feel no resistance at all when i seat the primer--i take it out of the shellholder and try to push the primer out with one of the small lee primer punches. if it doesn't fall right out i give it one more try--i would not however load my under the pillow gun with ammo of that quality--my motto has always been that the steel plate i shoot with that round will never know....Good shooting and take a kid shooting....Dick
Old June 4, 2001, 09:09 AM   #6
Janvs

Thanks guys.

No, there certainly isn't a shortage of 9mm brass at my range, so I think I'm just going to load each case 3-4 times before they get trashed.

My M11 (SIG P228) brass comes out just fine. I've never heard of that before.

janvs
Old June 4, 2001, 10:50 AM   #7
Mikul

My Lee manual recommends tossing the brass after 8 firings.
Old June 4, 2001, 11:49 AM   #8
zot

I meant a Cobray M-11, that thing ruins all brass shot thru it.
Old June 4, 2001, 02:00 PM   #9
dick w. holliday

guns like the 9-11 are the reason i resize all my 9mm on a single stage loader and use a cut down shellholder so i can get more of the casing in the size die....i also spray all the brass i plan to size at a sitting with dillon lube before i size...it goes through the sizer so smooth you won't beleive it...then i wash a bunch of it in a bucket with lacquer thinner and it's ready to go....Take a kid shooting....Dick