The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Diesel77

Shotgun Sports

I'm considering going beyond target shooting and getting into shotgun sports... Of sporting clays, skeet, or trap, which would you recommend and why?

Thanks!
D
Old January 8, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Sporting Clays by a HUGE margin. Each place is different; most have a course with 12 or more stations, and each station is different.

Trap and skeet are EXACTLY the same, no matter where you are - Maine to Miami, San Diego to Seattle, and all point in between.

In serious competition, you need perfect scores in trap and skeet just to get to the shootoff; whereas in Sporting, the number of perfect scores can be counted on one hand.

So it comes down to this: do you like BORING repetition where the targets are always the same, OR, do you like an extreme variety where each course utilizes its terrain to set challenging and fun targets?
Old January 8, 2013, 04:26 PM   #3
zippy13

I don't know how target shooting differs from the shotgun sports, perhaps you're now shooting rifles and handguns at paper. The selection of which shotgun sport to concentrate on is much a matter of which best suits your personality, your natural abilities, and what's available locally.

Give them all a try and shoot the ones your like -- there's no rule that says you can't shoot more than one of the clay sports. Most of the shooters, I know, who've taken up shotguns after rifle and handguns wish they'd tried clays earlier. I suspect you'll feel the same.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:55 PM   #4
BigJimP

Try them all .....they are all a little different.../ easy to learn - hard to master any of them.

But yes, I encourage you to get out to your local clay target club - and see what they offer.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Diesel77

Thanks for your input, gents!

Cheers,
D
Old January 11, 2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Sphawley

Personally I find Trap very boring, but I love skeet & and international skeet!!

Then there is five stand which is also a lot of fun with a little more challenge and different set up of throwers. It's a nice change up!

I've never gotten to play sporting clays, but my new sporting clays course opens the 18th! I will be sure to let you know how it goes!!
Old January 17, 2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Gaz_in_NZ

If you want a change you could always try Practical Shotgun but it will mean getting a 5+1, 6+1, 7+1 or 8+1 pump or semi-auto shotgun, you could just do it with a 4+1 (a new discipline is a damn good excuse for buying another gun for the collection ) .

I used to shoot this when I lived in the UK but as yet haven't found anywhere local in New Zealand that does it.
If you don't know anything about it have a look here : -
from the British Open 2011

Normally shot at steel plates with Red "No Shoots" amongst them that cost you points if you hit them.

As a clay shooter I find this discipline far more rewarding than clays... and a lot more fun.

Cheers
G
Old January 17, 2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Chinny33

3 gun / multi gun

it'll rock whatever shotgun world you thought you were in.

game changing.
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 17, 2013, 07:16 AM   #9
darkgael

Try

The try them all advice is, of course, the way to go.
Just to show, however, that one's mileage may vary.....I find Trap shooting very engaging.....others may be bored....not me. There is what I find as a marvelous sophistication (if that is the right word) in the ritual and rhythm of a round of Trap and the seeking after perfection. Get tired of shooting 25 straights at the 16 yard line?....move back a few yards to the 27. Try Double Trap. Try International Trap.
Pete
Old January 17, 2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Doyle

For the vast majority of us, the choice is determined by what is available in our area. For example, I have a 5-stand range about 11 miles away. If I wanted to shoot trap or skeet, I'd have to drive about 45 miles. Therefore, I choose to shoot 5-stand.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:40 AM   #11
ejb69

I like sporting clays. As others said no 2 courses are the same, its more like hunting than trap. The place we go to has 4 courses and they change the set- ups a few times a year, so I can shoot a " new" course often.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:21 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
For the vast majority of us, the choice is determined by what is available in our area. For example, I have a 5-stand range about 11 miles away. If I wanted to shoot trap or skeet, I'd have to drive about 45 miles. Therefore, I choose to shoot 5-stand.
Doyle - have you looked at Sarasota club?

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/2165

Skeet, trap, sporting clays, 5-stand, and FITASC;

otherwise look here:

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/FL
Old January 17, 2013, 12:53 PM   #13
Doyle

Quote:
Doyle - have you looked at Sarasota club?
That's the one that's about 45 miles away. I live in east Manatee cty.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:10 PM   #14
BigD_in_FL

I drive 75 miles to Tampa bay and 60 to Bradford - granted I only do each 1-2X per month for registered shoots, but I find it worthwhile.

Fishhawk is in Lithia, not sure how far that is
Old January 17, 2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Diesel77

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

I'm going to try to take the beginner's course at Bull Run Shooting Center which is nearby. Looks like I'm fortunate in that they have skeet, trap, and sporting clays... with wobble trap and 5 stand sporting clays... which I guess are standard variants, right?

Do y'all think my Maverick 88 12 ga pump - with a 28" bbl - will cut it?
Old January 17, 2013, 02:38 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

Your gun will be fine for the beginning. Once you try them all, IF you decide to pursue certain ones, then you'll be saving up to get a gnu better suited for greater success.

Don't worry about your scores, show up with a good attitude and ask questions - you'll get more advice and help to get you started.

And most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Old January 17, 2013, 03:27 PM   #17
BigJimP

Like BigDinFL told you ....the Maverick ought to be just fine to start ...especially if it has changeable screw in chokes...and a 28" barrel.

A lot of us started shooting clay targets with pump guns.

When you go to the club ...make sure you have shells - with shot in them no bigger than 7 1/2's. ( so 7.5's, or 8's or 9's are ok ) ....some clubs sell shells, some don't ....a good all around shell in a 12ga ..for all games is 1 oz of 8's in a 12ga at around 1200 fps...( like a Quail shell ) ...or a Remington Gun Club shell...but look around for some cheaper shells ...like Estate, Rio, Rem Gun club, etc....unless you plan on reloading.