The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 9, 2009, 09:48 AM   #1
PhoenixConflagration

Odd CC Challenges

I'm going to be carrying concealed soon (whenever they get my license to me) and I'm want to hear from experienced people about unusual problems one might not think of. A good example is that I realized that if I had to use a public restroom, I couldn't leave my gun/holster on my belt with my pants around my ankles below the dividing wall. I guess I'd have to take it off and hope there's somewhere to set it like the TP holder. Anyone else come across problems that would have never otherwise occurred to them?
Old January 9, 2009, 10:06 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Many a CCW has been left on the TP holder!
In that case, simply remove the pistol and holster and hold thm inside the waisteband as you drop trou, then they can be covered by the top of the pants as you commence to do business. Harder to accidentally leave your companion behind.
Brent
Old January 9, 2009, 10:07 AM   #3
jfrey123

Sweat causing rust. My Bersa Thunder will have a few specks of surface rust on the left side of the barrel after a day of carrying IWB on my right hip. Wipes off pretty easy. Also the SW Airweight I keep in my pocket had the screw in the grip rust over pretty solid. I keep meaning to go get a stainless screw at the hardware store.

One other thing I didn't expect was how easy it would be to carry every day. Find the method that conceals best for your daily activity, and you'll never wake up and say 'Man, I don't feel like carrying today.' It's just a habit now.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
troy_mclure

i carry iwb sob, so my boxers cover my ccw in my pants while "doing my business".

i also have found that wearing an undershirt of some kind makes carrying iwb more comfortable, and keeps surface rust away.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 9, 2009, 10:27 AM   #5
George PT-111

one other option (not the best) leave the gun in the car and go about your business.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Croz

Quote:
one other option (not the best) leave the gun in the car and go about your business.
Of course, public restroom often also includes the office restroom, so leaving it in the car is not really an option there.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:22 AM   #7
hoytinak

I've heard many people say they leave their CCW inside their pants as hogdogs suggested....just never tried it myself.

I always set the CCW on the toilet paper dispencer while going, haven't left it behind yet....knock on wood.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:25 AM   #8
alistaire

Mr Seecamp sits quietly inside your pocket and is not bothered by activities in the restroom.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:33 AM   #9
ZeSpectre

We really need to push to have a nice loop holster mounted on the door of every restroom stall. Um, to hold umbrellas, yeah that's it.
Old January 9, 2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Steve Tate

Well, if you're carrying on the shoulder, no prob. But alas, the TP "holster" will have to do.

I have to be honest. I have put it in my pants and have been seen by someone in the next stall. After this I just hold it in my hands sometimes and get on with it if the TP holster will not suffice as a temporary gun rack.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:59 PM   #11
txbirddog

Quote:
one other option (not the best) leave the gun in the car and go about your business
Could also need it in the stop and rob.

A good belt is AS if not MORE important as a GOOD holster. What gun is your planned carry? Different guns pose their own unique situations. So does your physical make up and your normal dress.

Asking a lot of questions is good, but if we had more information we can give better advice.
Old January 10, 2009, 12:12 AM   #12
Hokie

One thing I've found is that carrying a pistol at 4 o'clock while driving can be really uncomfortable. One way to get around it is to carry a magazine pouch at 8 o'clock; if you shift them right, they apply equal pressure and make things a lot more comfortable.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:11 AM   #13
PhoenixConflagration

Anyone run into unexpected challenges other than the restroom or car?
Old January 10, 2009, 11:03 AM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

The restroom is easily handled:

1. Use the handicapped stall - there is more room such that the gun on the belt isn't seen unless Larry Craig is next door.

2. Get a bag from the register. Stand up in the stall, put gun in bag - do whatever. Then stand up, get gun out of bag and reholster.

The best Odd CC challenge is getting lucky on the first date when your partner doesn't know you are carrying a gun but thought you were just glad to see them.
Old January 10, 2009, 11:56 AM   #15
troy_mclure

i had a chick notice my gun as i was getting dressed next morning, she was more curious than scared.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 10, 2009, 03:05 PM   #16
Dwight55

I almost never use a urinal, . . . go to the stall and lock the door.

If I have to be seated by more serious business, . . . my 1911 hangs C&L by the front of the trigger guard on the coat hook on the back of the door. It's pretty stupid to walk out and leave something that is staring you in the eye all the time you are pulling up your pants.

Another thing to think of, . . . what are the laws concerning a loaded weapon left in your vehicle in your state???? In Ohio, . . . it is a NO-NO if there are other folks in the vehicle, . . . you gotta unload the thing. May want to have a "lockable" box of some sort to circumvent those types of regs.

Also, . . . in Ohio, . . . Mexican carry is also illegal, . . . it has to be in a holster if you are driving. I challenged a deputy on that question and was very quickly assured that I would be arrested for Mexican carry, . . . even if I was bilingual.

The most important thing though, . . . get some good training: shooting training, . . . holstering, drawing, reloading, problem solving, . . . know your laws, . . . and when you are in your CCW class, . . . ask every danged question you can think of.

CCW is serious business, . . . treat it as such.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 10, 2009, 03:19 PM   #17
Wuchak

The rust problems from a day of carry can be prevented with Militech-1. I had similar problems with my blued P-3AT on hot summer days. I coated all metal parts of the gun with Militech-1, put them in the toaster oven on 225 for 15 minutes, and let them cool. I repeated this 3x. I never had the problem again. About 6 months later I was doing another gun so I did the Kel-tec again although it probably didn't need it. I have treated about 7 guns so far and used 1/3 of an ounce. A one ounce bottle is probably enough to treat a single carry gun for the next 20 years. As a side benefit the just wipe clean now.

Don't ever set your CCW down anywhere outside of your home or car, period. You are doing nothing but opening the door for major legal problems. Think if you set your gun on a TP dispenser and left. The next person in the stall is a 10 year old who finds the gun and shoots himself playing with it. Guess who is going to prison? Your gun must be kept in your immediate control at all times. It's not really that hard to do. Just flip it inside your pants as others have suggested.

I have a friend who has had his permit longer than me and is one of the most responsible gun owners I know. He couldn't find his CCW for a week. He knew it was in the house but wasn't sure where. It turned up in his basement bathroom which he seldom uses. He had gone in and left it on the counter. Good thing it was in his house but he learned a valuable lesson about setting his gun down.

When I was getting my NY CCW permit the Sheriff doing the class said the record for the shortest length of time before permit revocation in the county was the guy who got it for hunting. The day after he was issued his license, which is NY is expensive, lengthy, and a PITA to get, he was on his way hunting in the morning. He stopped at a convenience store to get a coffee and use the bathroom. He set his nice revolver on the back of the toilet, did his business, and left. A short while later he discovered the gun was missing. He raced back to the store to find the police already there. Someone else had found it and turned it in (lucky). Since NY is a shall issue state the issuing judge decided the guy wasn't responsible enough to have a permit and revoked it.
Old January 11, 2009, 09:38 PM   #18
scorpion_tyr

Hogdogs beat me to it once again. Exact same method I use. Works great, weapon is within easy reach. I would hate to have to use it while on the john, but weirder things have happened.
Old January 11, 2009, 11:30 PM   #19
ddc

This works for my 4 o'clock right side carry.

Unbuckle belt and start to sit down.

Grab end of belt in left hand and pull laterally (and slightly upward) across legs exerting enough tension so that holster/gun doesn't flop or go lower than partition. You have to provide a little lateral pressure with your legs to counteract the pressure you are putting on the belt with your hand.

If I'm going to be there a while I sometimes will buckle the belt back up using the last belt hole. That keeps things loose enough to do your thing but provides enough tension to keep the holster/gun up.

I'm sure I'm making it sound more complicated than it is.