The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 13, 2005, 08:22 PM   #1
gxi.llc

Holster Question

I know asking "which holster should I get?" will generate 100 different answers about which one is the best, but I would like some input from people I know have plenty of experience. I have looked at Don Hume, Galco, and Bianchi. I know there's hundreds more out there, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any problems with these, and what to look for in a good CCW strong-side holster for a large-frame auto. Also, I don't know if I want to go IWB or not. What experiences have you had?
Old March 13, 2005, 08:44 PM   #2
U.F.O.

For the money, Galco OWB is an excellent buy. For IWB, Milt Sparks Versa Max II is the best I've seen. You can also order VMII in horsehide, which has better longevity than leather for only a few more dollars. One word of caution.....Milt Sparks has a 12 week wait on new holster orders. They're worth it, IMO.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old March 13, 2005, 09:14 PM   #3
HappyGunner

I have two

My Milt Sparks VM2 is a great holster. But I have to say the holster I use the most for my 1911s is a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover "slide"
http://www.comp-tac.com/
Old March 13, 2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Pamato

IWB holsters

I carry my pt145 in a DeSantis IWB and it is very comfortable. I have not had any problems with it sliding or lifting when presenting. Desantis also is not too overly expensive and I did not perceive much of a wait for the holster ordered.

pt
17 yr old GP-100
7 Wonderful Children
Old March 13, 2005, 10:49 PM   #5
netwizard20

you are right int that this will generate a ton of responses. And that is becasue holsters are like clothes. Get what you think looks good, fits your style/need and feels good to you.

BTW....I really like my bianchi thumbsnap holdter. Model 7001 I believe.
Old March 14, 2005, 12:43 AM   #6
Jeff Loveless

An OWB is great if you can conceal it. Otherwise an IWB is easier IMO to use concealed. As for answer 4 of 100 I chose an ITP from www.hoffners.com and have been very satisfied. Didn't take long to get it either. Since then I've bought 2 others and suggested a friend get one - the quality and wait time was the same for each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun_0001.JPG (176.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg gun_0028.JPG (166.8 KB, 86 views)
Old March 14, 2005, 09:54 AM   #7
tlm225

The IWB will provide the best concealment, I prefer the Galco Royal Guard IWB. It's made of horsehide and conceals very well. Just make sure that you size your pants upward by two inches to allow for comfort with an IWB holster. Some can't stand an IWB. A number of holsters work for OWB carry, just make sure that the belt slots match the belt width to avoid shifting of the weapon and that the weapon rides high enough to conceal under your cover garment. Over the long you term won't regret paying the price for a quality holster.
Old March 14, 2005, 11:02 AM   #8
Bullrock

I carry in Hi-Ride Open Belt Leather, mostly weak side. This type of holster conceals every bit as well as the IWB and is automobile friendly and easy to get to. I have Galco's and a DeSantis. Both are good holsters but! They are thin, the rough leather interior creates too much of a pull when drawing, and they are tough to reholster. Six months ago I couldn't find a holster (no one had the mold) for my Browning Pro-9. I tried everywhere, then I tried Black Hills.

I ordered a custom made holster at Black Hills Leather, and that was it for me. I have ordered three others since. They range from $59 to a little over 100. I have the Improved Belt Slide Holster for $74.95, The Professional Belt Slide Holster for $94.90 and the Comfort Belt Scabbard for $74.90. The Comfort I had slightly canted for weak side draw. All are in black leather with smooth interiors.

The first thing I noticed when I received my first Black Hills Holster was the fit and quality of the leather. The tops are all reinforced for easy draw and re-holstering. I ordered all three with smooth leather interiors for less drag in the draw and the smooth leather takes nice care of the gun exterior. And, you don't have to go with what you see on the website. Call Rudy and tell him what you want, and he will make it for you. It's about a 3 week wait, but it is worth it.

Good luck
Old March 14, 2005, 03:31 PM   #9
yci

I go IWB with my full size 1911. I alternate between 2 of them, but they each have their own VM-II. Extremely comfortable and easy to conceal.
Old March 19, 2005, 12:09 PM   #10
bendable

www.predator-holster.com

I like mine alot,
lifetime warrenty
has not scratched my guns
very light
comfortable for six or eight hours

in-expensive compared to the alternatives.

and black goes with everything
Old March 19, 2005, 01:17 PM   #11
BillCA

If you don't mind the "belt slide" type holsters, I like the Galco M7X version. This is a moulded thermoplastic (not Kydex) that has a slick feel and provides both a tight fit and slick draw. So far it hasn't marred the finish on either of my autos. The best part is that these are inexpensive too. The holsters snap on to the belt in about 1 minute and can be removed even faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M7X_01.jpg (25.7 KB, 61 views)
Old March 19, 2005, 01:43 PM   #12
FrankDrebin

I don't like IWB for a large frame revolver or auto. I carry often and like a holster that covers the front and rear sights so as not to tear up my clothes or car seat. I also like the trigger area to be covered, and I like a thumb break. I also take my gun off and put it back on quite often during the day, so I wanted a paddle holster. Unfortunatey, there are very few reasonably secure paddle holsters for N-Frames out there, so I had Jerry Haugen http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/ custom make me one for my 3" model 29 and I like it so much I'm going to have him make holsters for me for my Combat Elite and my Officer's Model Lightweight. The price was comparable to a quality "production" model holster from any of the big makers. Custom made and lined with the basketweave was around $90.00 if I recall.... Considering the design and workmanship of this holster, you can tell that Jerry carried a gun for a living.

Here it is:

Old March 23, 2005, 11:16 AM   #13
dairycreek

Dear gxi.llc

Quote:
Also, I don't know if I want to go IWB or not. What experiences have you had?
The reason you will get "100 different answers" is because getting a functional, comfortable holster is a highly personal thing. Each of our bodies is contoured differently and it takes some experimentation to get it "right" on an individual basis.

As far as brands are concerned there are a bunch of excellent ones. You mentioned three in your post.

After somewhat over 40 years of packing concealed I recommend that IWB is the way to go if you are willing to make those concessions/alterations that are necessary to pull it off successfully. A good, stiff, gun belt is an absolute and necessary first step. Wearing trousers a size too large will also make for a more effective and comfortable carry. Lately, I have come to favor holsters that have "wings" which spread out the weight of the pistol over the belt. Sparks Versa Max is an excellent example in a leather holster and Comp-tac's CTAC is a fine example in a kydex holster.

Any gun (within reason of course) can be made to be an effective CCW if, as I say above, you are willing to do what it takes to pull if off - even a large frame auto such as a 1911. Hope this helps some.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 27, 2005, 06:48 PM   #14
lasports

gxi--

Important things to consider when picking your holster of choice are:

1) IWB or OWB? Comfort and dress atire will help in this choice.
2) Pick a holster which provides a good fit for the the intended firearm.
A universal holster should be shunned like the plague.
3) Match the holster belt slots or loops to the width of the belt carrierd.
This is one of the downfalls of the factory holster makers who offer
holsters to fit up to 1.75" belts.
4) Purchase a good double thick gun belt. It is the foundation of your carry.
5) If you go IWB a good holster maker will provide a shirt protector (sweat
guard) to the holster. Sorry Galco does not.
6)Finally if you decide to carry a 5" 1911 IWB go the Milt Sparks VM-2 and
never look back! Sorry I am biased.

Purveyor Of Fine Leather Holsters & Accessories
Old April 1, 2005, 12:20 AM   #15
gxi.llc

Thanks for all the great input from everyone

After considering all your replies, I ordered a Galco FX OWB with thumb-break for the .45 FS, and a Milt Sparks VMII IWB for the .40 compact, along with a Galco belt. I've received the Galco holster already, and it is very nicely made. It has a metal reinforcement behind the thumb break, very heavy double stitching, is pretty flat on the body side, and has a really good fit to the weapon. I've been trying to get it broken in, driving the girlfriend crazy "playing" with it. I saw a Milt Sparks a guy had at an IDPA shoot, and will be looking forward to that, but was told 10-16 week wait. From what I've heard, it will be worth it. Thanks again for all the suggestions and info.
Old April 6, 2005, 10:35 AM   #16
michiglock

For IWB , just got a UCR by Threat Solutions about $60. I'm waiting for the "answer" by Tucker Gunleather. It's supposed to be the best.We'll see.The UCR is quite comfy.