The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 31, 2001, 05:07 PM   #1
87IROC

Winchester 94 ID?

I just bought a Winchester 94 s/n 4485688 at a pawn shop and am searching for info on it. I have always wanted one and couldn't pass this one up.

I am looking for any info on this rifle I can find. All I know thus far is that it was built in the late 70s and it ejects from the top(I don't even know if they had the angle ejecting ones back then) . It has a 20"(from tip to rear of shell) barrel and is a .30-.30 Win caliber.

It is an interesting rifle because it has a chrome(nickel maybe?) plated trigger, hammer, loading door, and ammo tube.

Also, the only problem I see with the gun is the trigger is sloppy. The trigger flops front to back 1/4" or so before it contacts whatever it is inside that actuates the hammer(sear?).

Sorry about any non-tech terms and such in the post. I am new to this forum and to firearms collecting. My forte' is more automotive oriented.

Thanks,

Greg
Old December 31, 2001, 10:55 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The rifle was made in 1977, so your info is correct. The trigger is supposed to flop back and forth like that; it is the way the thing is designed.

Jim
Old January 1, 2002, 12:41 PM   #3
87IROC

Wow, Interesting, thanks,

You wouldn't happen to know if this is for safety or is there some other design issue that req'd them to do this?

Thanks again,
Greg