The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 31, 2015, 10:07 PM   #1
idek

CZ 527 (7.62x39)... how is it with cheap ammo?

I'm interested in getting a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. A big reason for choosing it would be the availability of cheap plinking ammo (were I to hunt with it, I'd buy higher quality stuff). I'd like to be able to shoot steel-cased ammo, but I know it can be hard on some guns or won't function well in them. I realize accuracy won't be as good, but will the CZ function well and hold up to a lot of steel-cased ammo?

Last edited by idek; May 31, 2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:42 PM   #2
chris in va

The 527 carbine was actually designed to shoot steel case ammo.

That being said I and more than a few other 527 owners, experience light primer strikes with 'military' primers such as Wolf. I'm still working on a cure and it has been pointed out the bolt internals are quite roughly machined which may allow the firing pin to bind up a bit.

I rarely if ever use factory ammo. My reloads are now around 95% reliable since I backed off the sizing die.

Now my 5.56 carbine has been 100% after roughly 400 reloads so far. Perhaps CZ made a couple changes over the years as my x39 is now 11 years old.
Old June 1, 2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Fotheringill

Shooting pal has the rifle. I gave him a few boxes of white box ammo. It did not fit. CZ confirmed it. Wolf and Tula chambered and fired without issue.
Old June 1, 2015, 01:25 PM   #4
precision_shooter

Quote:
Shooting pal has the rifle. I gave him a few boxes of white box ammo. It did not fit. CZ confirmed it. Wolf and Tula chambered and fired without issue.
I'm a little confused by this...

I can only assume by "white box ammo" you mean Winchester ammo?

What do you mean by "It did not fit" and "CZ confirmed it"?

My 527 was just purchased last year, and although I have not shot any steel cased ammo, and likely won't, I have not had any problems with both S&B and Hornady brass-cased ammo. Only reason I have not tried others, is either due to cost, availability, or they only produce 7.62x39 ammo with round-nosed bullets...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 1, 2015, 03:26 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Shot Century's Red Army steel through a 527 I had here. Not THE most accurate, but do-able & zero problems with it at all.
Denis
Old June 2, 2015, 05:01 PM   #6
idek

Thanks for the replies. My next issue is to sort out whether I would be okay with a right-handed bolt (I shoot lefty). They make left-handed 527s in 5.56, but not in 7.62x39.
Old June 2, 2015, 08:11 PM   #7
chris in va

Being a lefty, I would just get the 5.56. They are very accurate and at least with my 527, the trigger can be adjusted every which way you can think of.
Old June 2, 2015, 09:31 PM   #8
idek

Quote:
Being a lefty, I would just get the 5.56. They are very accurate and at least with my 527, the trigger can be adjusted every which way you can think of.
It has been considered, but I'd like something that could potentially be used for deer hunting. 7.62x39 is a legal option here. 5.56 is not.
Old June 2, 2015, 09:36 PM   #9
Model12Win

The video game Day Z has inspired me to get this rifle as a defensive gun in real life. In the game, you use it to shoot other people as well as zombies. It's a very effective gun.
Old June 2, 2015, 10:40 PM   #10
idek

Well if it works in a video game, it HAS to be good in real life!
Old June 3, 2015, 02:52 AM   #11
chris in va

That's funny. My friend also plays Day Z and raved about it...in the game and in real life.
Old June 3, 2015, 05:21 AM   #12
Model12Win

I've also got over 500 rounds of 7.62x39mm ammo I want to use!
Old June 3, 2015, 09:14 AM   #13
Fotheringill

Precision Shooter-

What I mean is as follows:

White box ammo to me is Eastern European (within 200 or so miles from Croatia) not commercially made, but made rather for military use in plain white cardboard packages. It doesn't fit. Bolt will not close and bad looking scratch marks at neck. I have shot easily 1000 rounds of this ammo out of my AK without issue. CZ was called and they confirmed some of the military stuff will not fit.
Old June 3, 2015, 09:35 AM   #14
precision_shooter

Fotheringill: thanks for the explanation.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 6, 2015, 12:43 AM   #15
bamaranger

question?

What features exactly have been included in the x39mm CZ527 to qualify it as "designed to shoot steel case ammo" as claimed in an earlier post? Can anyone list a source for such a claim?

I do not have a CZ in x39mm, but do have a bolt rifle from Ruger, as well as an AK clone and a Mini30. My experience with steel import ammo in all 3 rifles is that consistancy/accuracy is all over the board. Velocities can vary widely, accuracy is so-so, and the slugs, JHP or SP's, may or may not expand. I have even run across ammo (from a show) sold as "non'corrosive" that was indeed corrosive and only by good fortune caught things before my Mini was ruined. Thus, in reference to my question above, one feature I would think highly desireable in an x39 rifle intended for cheap steel case ammo, would be stainless steel construction, to resist the occasional corrossive mix up!

I read good things about Hornady steel case ammo and their poly tipped slug, but have not experimented with any of that product.

Finally, I cannot resist stating that a video game is likely not a good reference source for evaluating a firearm.
Old June 6, 2015, 09:00 AM   #16
precision_shooter

Bamaranger: CZ, on their website under product description for the 527 in x39.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-car...2x39-5-rd-mag/

Product Description

The Carbine is an intermediate range ‘brush gun.’ This handy rifle features open sights, a straight comb walnut stock and weighs less than 6 pounds! It’s the only model in the CZ family of bolt action rifles that is chambered for the popular 7.62×39. This cartridge is a top pick for younger shooters for its low recoil and effectiveness on medium sized game such as deer or wild boar out to 200 yards. Both cartridges offered in the 527 Carbine model are economical to shoot given their service rifle heritage.

Built to CIP specifications, our 7.62×39 chambers are ideal for shooting steel-cased surplus ammo. Designed to shoot .311 bullets, some American brass ammo may not perform as well as the imported steel-cased variety because of SAAMI brass dimensions and varying bullet diameters.
Old June 6, 2015, 09:23 AM   #17
Model12Win

What is the effective range of this gun when fired at human sized targets? I've heard after 100 yards the x39 drops like a rock.
Old June 6, 2015, 09:40 AM   #18
precision_shooter

300 yards or so. Around 19" of drop at 300, then jumps to 43" at 400...
Old June 6, 2015, 09:42 AM   #19
precision_shooter

I'm contemplating having a 6.5 Grendel built on a 527... Superior ballistics and should be super soft shooting...
Old June 6, 2015, 11:26 PM   #20
bamaranger

source

Well, there you go.....straight from the (CZ) horse's mouth. The rifle is intended for steel cases. No arguement from me now, ....but still need clarification. I am familiar with the SAMMI acronym. But what is CIP and ....

how does a CIP chamber, differ from a SAMMI spec'd chamber to gain the above designation from CZ for steel cases?
Old June 7, 2015, 12:56 PM   #21
chris in va

C.I.P.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commi...Feu_Portatives

If you still need further clarification, just give CZ USA a call.
Old June 7, 2015, 09:44 PM   #22
armoredman

I used steel case ammo in it once...

Old June 8, 2015, 12:45 AM   #23
chris in va

Lol Armoredman, we're more used to the groups like the two on he upper left.
Old June 8, 2015, 06:51 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

I just bought one, that I'm planning on running PRVI ammo through, then reloading those cases...

BTW... I have a ( purchased price $ 89.00... quite a while ago ) Chinese SKS, that I accururized, that shoots 2" 10 shot groups at 100 yards, with cheap earlier Russian "spam can" ammo... so I have no doubts with the right steel cased ammo, the CZ aught to be shooting nearly as good a groups
Old June 13, 2015, 03:32 PM   #25
bamaranger

got it

CIP....understood

REgards x39mm ammo. I have a small quantity of Lapua cases in said caliber, and they are by far the best basis for accuracy in my bolt Ruger. To best of my knoweledge, Lapua still makes them.

Now, if Sierra would just start making the 135 gr Pro Hunter SSP slug again.