The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 28, 2013, 06:48 PM   #1
balance

Astra A-75

I made the mistake of making a conscious decision to walk into a gun store today, and not surprisingly, I saw something that caught my interest.

It is a DA/SA 9mm Astra A-75.

I've been lacking a "small" carry pistol ever since I sold my Walther PPS and Springfield EMP, and I've been carrying a Walther PPQ or P99 ever since. After I put some rounds through it, it may be carried every now and then. Sometimes a PPQ or P99 just feels a little big on the waist.

Just from handling it, I like it. The DA is pretty heavy, but smooth, and the SA trigger is light and crisp, with a short reset. The ambidextrous levers on the beavertail (that are in the same location as a 1911's safety levers), are actually the decocking levers on this pistol. There is no safety, and pushing the lever on either side down will decock the pistol to the half-cock notch. The mag release is the push-button type, and is reversible to the other side. I'll probably reverse the position of it after I get done typing this post since I'm a lefty.

It has a very solid feel to it. If this was a full size pistol, I would have expected it to be an issued pistol to some military or police organization somewhere. I understand that they are not made anymore, but I've found that spare parts can be obtained through EAA.

So, does anyone have any experience with these pistols? What can I expect when I finally take it out to the range? I've heard the name "Astra" before, but I don't remember ever hearing anything either good, or bad, about them. Nobody I know has ever owned one before.

Does anyone know when it was made?
Old August 28, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Carne Frio

They are OK little guns. I have the A75 L, which has
the lighter frame. It has been reliable and accurate
enough for self defense work. You can get spare mags
for a good price at CDNN.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/asa9mm8r7rds.html
Old August 28, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
balance

Excellent.

Thanks for that link.
Old August 29, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4

Years ago my shooting partner had one in .40 S&W. He never had any problems with his. He used it to shoot qualification for his CHL and carried it for a couple of years after. It always surprised me how well the A-75 handled my .40 S&W handloads. There should be no question of life expectancy with a 9mm model. They are great little pistols.
Old August 29, 2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Microgunner

I owned an A-75 9mm many years ago.
Kinda heavy but shot pretty good.
Unfortunatly, It would begin to rust up if you just looked at it hard. It was a daily battle.
Also owned an A-80 at one time.
Old August 29, 2013, 08:09 PM   #6
DasGuy

Looks like a cross between a SIG and a 1911. I dig it.
Old August 30, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
balance

Thanks for the information guys.

The pictures make it seem bigger than it is. In reality, it is about the size of a Sig 239. The grip isn't all that much longer than a Walther PPK/S
Old August 30, 2013, 08:08 PM   #8
riddleofsteel

There was a time when I packed a .40 A75 Astra as my main CCW. I loved it. Almost the perfect balance of power, size, ect. ect. I sent it off to Metalife for a satin hard chrome job. When I got it back I thought I had the ultimate carry gun. Later in a fit of stupid I put a slide on grip on it. A week of summer carry later I had rust coming thru the chrome on the frame under the grip.
Traded it for a K40 Kahr.
Old September 4, 2013, 02:55 PM   #9
KevininPa

I have the....

............single action version of it, the A70. Keeps me in tune with my FEG Hi Power clone. Same action=no fumbling confusion. Rock solid pistols. Star and Astra made good guns. Unfortunately they both suffered from Llama's reputation. They should try their hand in the market again. I also like the size. Only slightly larger and heavier than my Sig 232 stainless.
Old September 11, 2013, 03:04 PM   #10
UNCBUC

A-75

Had three of them and loved them,mainly the one light weight
a-75l