The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1
TennJed

Taylor & Company Single Actions

Does anyone have any experience with Taylor and Company Single Actions. Any help would be appreciated but particularly on the "Stallion Pocket" single action 22. It seems to be 75 % of the size of a typical SAA.

How does their quality stack up? Is it steel or pot metal? Size wise is it smaller than a Ruget single six? I would be really interested if it is sized in between the Bearcat and Single Six. Price seems to be about the same as the Ruger
Old June 30, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
newfrontier45

Good stuff, made by Uberti. Should be all steel, unless there's some brass present. I would say on par with Ruger quality. Size comparable to a Single Six. I need two or three.
Old June 30, 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

How are you gentlemen deducing that the size is the same as a Ruger Single Six -- or smaller?

From the rather incomplete specs I found on Uberti's web site, it appears to me that it's built on a full-size 1873 frame.
Old June 30, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
newfrontier45

Spending nearly 30yrs with similarly sized Uberti and Ruger sixguns? A Uberti Virginian .22 was my first handgun at age 12 and I've been trying in vain to wear out a handful of Single Sixes for the last 15yrs. The Stallion is basically a modern version of the old Virginian. I've handled them, they are comparable to a Single Six. The Taylor's site describes them as 75% the size of a Peacemaker and the pocket model weighs 29oz.
Old June 30, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Cousin Pat

Taylors

I have bought several guns from Taylors and have been very happy with their customer service.
Old June 30, 2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFrontier45
The Taylor's site describes them as 75% the size of a Peacemaker and the pocket model weighs 29oz.
Ah.

I was looking at Uberti's web site.

Now that I look at Taylors' web site, I see they offer two versions of .22 SAA. They have these Stallion Compacts, and they also have a couple that seem to be built on a full-size frame. The Stallions are about a half inch shorter in overall length, for the same barrel lengths.

Curiously, the full-size .22s are only $195 MSRP -- which is a whole bunch less than the smaller ones. For anyone who already has a Ruger Single Six, I think it would make more sense to buy the full-size version for half the price.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; June 30, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old June 30, 2013, 05:50 PM   #7
newfrontier45

The Stallions are Single Six sized and all steel. They also have a ten shot .22LR version. Same as Cimarron's Model P Jr's that are available in six-shot .38Spl and .41Colt configurations.

That $195 full-sized gun is all pot metal with steel inserts for the bore and chambers. By all accounts, it's a piece of junk. Also marketed by Cimarron and Chiappa.

Uberti has a full sized 12-shot that is not unlike the USFA 12/22. All steel and built like the centerfire guns. Not lightweights though, my 4¾" 12/22 runs 44oz.
Old July 1, 2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Bob Wright

NewFrontier45:
Quote:
A Uberti Virginian .22 was my first
A Uberti Virginian? I thought the Virginians were Hammerli?

Bob Wright
Old July 1, 2013, 04:51 PM   #9
newfrontier45

That's the centerfire Virginian Dragoon. The small frame "Virginian .22" was made by Uberti and imported by Interarms. Mine is a particularly good shooter with the .22Mag cylinder and piles the 40gr Winchester JHP into an inch at 25yds. So it is dedicated to that purpose.

Here's one:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/5883
Old July 1, 2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Bob Wright

I have never seen nor even heard of the .22 Virginian. Was it ever made in carbon steel?

Incidentally, the Virginian I referred to was the Hammerli made single action, not the American made Virginian Dragoon. The Virginian was a .45 Colt, maybe other centerfire calibers, made more or less as a Copy of the Colt SAA. One feature was the nickel plated trigger guard and backstrap. As far as I know, these were not made in stainless steel.

This is the gun to which I refer:

Bob Wright
Old July 1, 2013, 10:51 PM   #11
newfrontier45

I believe they were made in a blued/case colored configuration but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Incidentally, the Virginian I referred to was the Hammerli made single action, not the American made Virginian Dragoon.
Those guns never interested me much and I've never been able to keep the details on who made what and when in my brain.
Old July 2, 2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Bob Wright

NewFrontier45:
Quote:
Those guns never interested me much and I've never been able to keep the details on who made what and when in my brain.
Well, I'm just the opposite here lately. I am into single actions, having recently acquired three Ubertis and a Hy Hunter by J.P. Sauer & Sohn, I've become interested in the importers and manufacturers of these guns, and especially the when. I remember seeing a Virginian .45 in a gunshop around 1972, and buying my first Uberti, imported by Iver Johnson, in 1975. I'm not really wanting to obtain any, maybe a Virginian, but am curious as to the periods they were available.

Bob Wright

(The keys on my keyboard seem to be getting smaller and closer together. And I forget spellcheck.)
Old July 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #13
newfrontier45

Don't get me wrong, single actions are my thing. I was just never very interested in that particular line of guns. The groove along the sides of the topstrap probably has a lot to do with it. That said, I'm very interested in the new adjustable sight version of the Uberti Callahan. I've handled them several times in a local shop and am very tempted.
Old July 2, 2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Bob Wright

NewFrontier45:
Quote:
The groove along the sides of the topstrap probably has a lot to do with it.
Again, I believe you are confusing the Hammerli Virginian with the Virginian Dragoon, two entirely different revolvers.

The Virginian was a Colt clone as is the Uberti, made by Hammerli of Switzerland. The Virginian Dragoon was made in the United States by Interarms of Virginia. The Dragoon is the one with the grooves in the top strap and the prick marks on the cylinder.

Bob Wright

(In your post #9 of this thread, the Virginian Dragoon is posed with the Uberti .22 caliber Virginian.)
Old July 2, 2013, 01:21 PM   #15
newfrontier45

Ok. I told you I didn't know anything about them. I don't keep up with all the names they on SAA replicas either.

An online search revealed a pic of a blued/CCH Virginian .22:

And a nice pic of the Callahan:

Old July 2, 2013, 03:05 PM   #16
ZVP

The $195 potmetal Plinkerton revolvers are JUNK! I bought one and shot it to pieces in 1300 rounds of .22 LR! Potmetal frames lined cylinder and barrel, just toys!
Now the Stallion revolver is a REAL gun! It is made to handle not only RF but CF cartriges and is about 3 times as pricy!
I could really go for one in .38 Special but I just bought a Nickled Chief in that caliber so there goes the money...
Yea a single Six sized revolver in .38 special would be a very nice trail gun or even a nice S/D carry gun! Powerfull and cool how could ya go wrong?
Of course this is coming from a guy who varries a .357 Vaquero as his carry gun. Guess I am partial to single actions?
If you are looking for a full sized (Peacemaker size) .22, look at EAA. They carry the fine German made HWeinrich S/A revolvers. Hard to find a dealer but nice guns.
HTH,
BPDave