The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2010, 01:51 AM   #1
raggededge

P226 aftermarket sights?

Long time lurker, rarely post...

Does anyone know of any inexpensive three dot non-night sights (for lack of a better term) for my P226? I don't feel like dropping the coin for night sights and I hate the standard "contrast" Sig sights. It's just an old police trade-in and something I like to take to the range. The sights that are on there now are very dim (old Trijicons) and appear to have been drifted to compensate for a lousy shot.

I like the gun alright, but I don't really feel like spending more than $50 on sights for it.

Thanks much.
Old May 15, 2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Accipere

Hi there
I have the same problem. My 226 is an ex competition gun that has the red dot removed and the original Tritium sights reinstated. It's low mileage and groups well but it hits about 6" low. I am trying to source adjustable sights in NZ but here's a link to a US distributor . . .
http://www.galatiinternational.com/M...uct_Code=PSSIG

cheers
Old May 15, 2010, 06:15 AM   #3
AK103K

How about just putting three drops of gloss white nail polish in the ones you have? Thats really all the three dot sights are anyway.
Old May 15, 2010, 07:17 AM   #4
raggededge

Accipere, thank you. I was hoping to just find some regular fixed sights, but those are an option.

AK, I thought about putting some sight paint over them, but somehow that doesn't seem "right". It may come to that, but I would still need someone to drift that rear sight back on zero.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:00 AM   #5
AK103K

Since your not worried about cracking/breaking the vials in the night sights now, you can do it yourself with a hammer and punch. You shouldnt have to wail on them, but do go crazy either. If you dont what to go that route, and have a "C" clamp or a vise, and a little ingenuity, you shouldnt have to much trouble coming up with a poor mans sight pusher.

Painting them seems like it would be the cheapest and simplest way out. If it doesnt work out, at least your not out any money. If you degrease the vials well, and fill them in "lifts" with the nail polish or gloss white paint, I think you'll end up with a good job that looks close to "factory" three dot sights.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6
DBAR

I'd just work on the ones you have, but if you want to change them out, check with ameriglo.com. I think they'll have what your looking for.

DBAR
Old May 15, 2010, 01:13 PM   #7
guypowell

Ameriglo has about the cheapest night sights going. They use Trijicon vials. Very good products.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:51 PM   #8
LOUcifer

Novak