The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2008, 11:15 AM   #1
croc4

sand blaster needed

I have a barreled action that I need to have sand blasted, is there a way to do this at home with some minimal setup?

Or can someone recommend one in the san jose area (cal) that won't freak out if I walk in with my project?

TIA,

Croc4
Old August 24, 2008, 02:23 PM   #2
HiBC

I would not just hand the piece to an industrial sandblaster who is not a gunsmith.
If you want to do it yourself,Harbor Freight has a sandblaster that looks like a touch up spray paint gun with a top reservoir for about $15.They also sell zirconia sand.Glass beads are another option.I would not use play sand,it has big rocks.
I don't know your skill level.A blaster will round corners,mess up screws,the crown of the muzzle,etc.
If your freindly local gunsmith doesn't have a sandblaster,maybe bring him the $15 one.
Here is how I look at it.With the competition of the big box stores,the small shop can use the business.If there is someone who can do the job well for you,let your gunsmith make a few bucks.The big box store will take your money and sell you things a bit cheaper,but they won't be there for you when you need them.If you want to have a local smith,support him.
Old August 24, 2008, 03:31 PM   #3
tplumeri

Quote:
Harbor Freight has a sandblaster that looks like a touch up spray paint gun with a top reservoir for about $15.
I think it needs 60psi to do an adequate job.
my buddy has one and thats what he told me.
I have a full size setup, with pressure tank, that i run at 100psi.
Old August 25, 2008, 12:35 AM   #4
ECHOONE

most any place that has a blaster welcomes the work had my 1911 done for 20 bucks guy did a great job too,manufactures trailers