The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 1999, 07:03 PM   #1
chink

I just recently got into the gun thing, and I will be getting my 1911 this friday, but 45 acp is expensive, but I intend to shoot it often. And I figure I have all kinds of .223 brass from my ar sitting around. So i figure I'll reload at least some of it.

anyway, the question, who do i need and what kind of overheard are we talkin here. I'm a not so poor college student, so money it tight
Old May 11, 1999, 10:27 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Search the archives; we've been through this before.

Me, I'd hunt for a good used C-Press at a gunshow, or maybe the world of Thrifty Nickels. If you see a gun ad, ask if they have "stuff".

For those two cartridge, I'd get carbide dies.

I prefer beam scales over electronic, but it's just my attitude. And used ones work as well as new, in my experience.

Browse some of the books at a gun store, and ask questions in the reloading components section of the store...

After 50 years, it's still a ton of fun!

Good luck, Art
Old May 12, 1999, 10:12 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Lee sells a kit that has everything you need to get set up - www.leeprecision.com - or contact Dillon www.dillonprecision.com for phone numbers. Dillon will give you the straight scoop. They won't sell you something just so they can make a sale. They have, in my opinion, the best customer service in any industry bar none.
Old May 16, 1999, 10:27 PM   #4
Bill Hebert

I've been there- done that.. Send me your 223 brass and I'll give it a good home... Seriously, I started with a $15.00 Lee press and a Lee reloading manual. You will need the set of dies (for a 223 they cost about $20 for non carbide) a can of powder $20 and your bullets (I just bought 2000 for $58) and your brass. You'll need a scale - approx$30-$50 for a beam type and a set of calipers to measure the overall length of the brass and cartridge ($20). Primers cost $3.00/hundred at a local store. A case length guage will cost $20 - in the beginning just throw away the brass that has stretched too much. Later get a case trimmer.. If you shoot more than 500-1000 rounds every three months or so, I say get into reloading. Honestly, I love reloading and have spent about $400 in six months. But I now reload 9mm, 38 specials, 357 mags, 308's and 223's. If you are a person who does not take responsibility for your actions - do not get into reloading - get factory cartridges. Then if something goes wrong you can blame someone else. I was at the range today and I heard a fellow say he had "problems" with his reloads not chambering -so now he only buys new cartridges. Thank you very much - I scarfed up his throw-away 308 brass. Good luck and happy reloading and/or shooting.
Old June 4, 1999, 09:47 PM   #5
Don Morgan

Go to this Web Page Top Ten Firearms

http://pages.hotbot.com/sports/zoff12/index.html

Go to Articles; I wrote an article titled What Do I Need To Begin Reloading

Don
Old June 7, 1999, 09:19 AM   #6
muddyboots

Bill
You don't really pay $3 a hundred for primers. Ouch! if I have to pay $15 a thousand I think that's painful. I try to buy at shows $13 a thousand (I bought some about 6 weeks ago). The last time I bought primers couple years ago I paid $10, never could figure how they could sell them that cheap.
Old June 10, 1999, 09:15 PM   #7
HankL

Bill Hebert said it all! "If you are not responsable for your actions"
In my HO this has become a major cause of the fall of the American Republic!
Hank
Just Hank