The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 3, 2015, 05:39 PM   #1
gregoryss

Help Please Belgium browning

I have a made in in Belgium browning 7mm magnum, with a redfield 4 power scope. It has the import markings R with a crown over it, a Z with a plus over it,PV with a line over it, and a crown wit an oval with e l g inside the oval. It has a thicker tapered barrel, not a bull barrel. It has what looks like a mauser action. It has 2 circles on each side of the stock under the scope, black with designs on them. It has gold designs on the bottom release plate and the trigger guard. Any info would be great, age, worth ect.

Greg
Old July 3, 2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Known as an FN Browning High Power, from Safari grade on up to really fancy rifles. Made 1960-1974. I do not see a serial number vs date chart on the Browning website, you could call and ask customer service. Yours has to have been made later than 1962 when the 7mm Rem Mag came out.

All the markings you describe are routine Belgian proofmarks.

The "black circles" are the ends of recoil lug reinforcing bolts going side to side through the stock.
Old July 3, 2015, 09:59 PM   #3
gregoryss

Thanks for info

Thanks, I couldn't find any information about the serial number either. They are closed today, I will call on Monday.
Old July 3, 2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Jay24bal

This is the only data I have ever found on it, but I am not sure how accurate it is.

First go here - http://proofhouse.com/browning/58_dating_sys.htm

Then go here - http://proofhouse.com/browning/fn_sako_hp.htm

I happen to have one as well, in 30-06. Mine has a three digit serial number, so one would assume is from the first year or production, 1959.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 4, 2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Besides the factory,another very good info source is the"Blue Book"of gun values "Browning Sections."
Old July 9, 2015, 03:38 PM   #6
dgludwig

One of my favorite bolt-action rifles. That said, one has to be mindful of the possibility of having a Browning rifle cursed with the infamous "salt wood". Take a look at the action screws to determine if they have rusted over time.
Old July 10, 2015, 02:50 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Like Jim says, all the R with a crown over it, a Z with a plus over it, PV with a line over it and a crown with an oval with e l g inside stuff are Belgian proof marks, not import marks. The last one has been in use since 1883 on BP firearms.
http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940944/proofmarks.pdf
Old October 23, 2015, 09:26 PM   #8
k8purvis

sorry to jump in but after some help please

Hi All,

I don't actually have the gun/s so can't get pics, only details from a list. I am trying to get an approximate date of manufacture on a couple of my recently deceased Dad's guns. I am trying to narrow down which gun was given to him by his father (my grandfather) and I can hopefully work this out via date of manufacture.

Browning .250, bolt action rifle, FN Mauser 98, 250/3000, serial #B3037 - UNABLE TO FIND DOM

I am pretty sure that I have dated the Weatherby 270 Mk V serial #P10533 to approximately 1965.

Any help would be appreciated