The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Crashbox

Hornady LNL AP and full cases...

...I've been having some problems with loading my .357 Magnum cases rather full on my Hornady LNL AP and small bits of powder being shaken out of the case when the shell plate makes its sudden stop in the indexing holes. These granules eventually make their way into the primer shuttle area causing *^%#@%$#&!! misfeeds. Has anybody else had this issue, and if so, found a solution?

I've tried ultra-fine tuning of the indexing pawls, dabs of grease in the indexing holes (which simply gets squeezed out), to no avail. It seems this case "rattling" is inherent in the indexing design.

Since I bell the case via PowderFunnel in my powder measure and also seat and crimp in one operation with this caliber, I'm going to move the powder measure from station two to station three and use my finger(s) to neutralize the case rattling until I can figure out a better solution.

For what it's worth, I'm loading 17.0 grains of 2400 behind a 125-grain JHP. No doubt I would have even more problems with rattling cases and powder flinging if I were doing the same with 21.2 grains of H110 in this scenario! (I previously loaded said charges in modified single-stage mode and may begrudgingly revert to it).

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:31 AM   #2
mongoose33

I think everybody has faced this problem on the LnL (as well as other progressive presses).

Two suggestions:

First is to insert the bullet into the case as it comes down from the powder measure. If you're using a powder cop or the RCBS Lockout die, that won't work, obviously.

The second method--which I use--is to develop the motion habit of allowing your index or middle finger to ride the side of the shellplate to smooth out the snap as the shellplate indexes. You can slow that snap down sufficiently to prevent powder from being flicked out of the case.

It's not really hard to develop the habit, takes a hundred cases or so, and it's not something that really slows down the process much.

I've tried to find other ways to reduce the snap of the shellplate as it indexes to each station, but other than the finger approach, struck out.
Old January 15, 2010, 01:45 PM   #3
David Wile

Hey folks,

There was a time when I used Bullseye powder with the idea that I could get more shots out of a pound of powder. Before long I realized real fast powders could be double or even triple charged if one was not extra careful, and I also found that cases loaded with small amounts of fast powders were not all that accurate for me. It did not take long for me to change to where I would try to find a powder that would at least half fill the case and provide the best accuracy.

Then I bought my LNL progressive press in 1997, and my intention was to use it as a true progressive and not be doing different operations seperately. To me, that meant I would have to use powders that meter accurately with the press, because I was not going to charge cases in a seperate operation. So whatever I was going to load on the LNL, I had decided it was going to be with ball or flake powders since they metered accurately, and extruded powders did not.

I have not noticed my shell plate making a sudden stop as it indexed, and I have not noticed powder shaking out of my cases. However, I don't think my cases have that much powder that they are likely to shake any powder out anyway. Perhaps you might consider trying to change your powder to one that fills the case a bit less than what you are using now?

The progressive press is a great machine, but I think you do have to make some compromises if you are going to use one. I know I check different things with each cycle of the handle, but I have never had reason to try what Mongoose has suggested. If I were having a bit of powder shake out like you are describing, I am sure I would give Mongoose's idea a try.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 15, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Randy 1911

I was having this problem also. I finally just switched powder so the case is not so full.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:01 PM   #5
David Wile

Hey Randy,

Your last name wouldn't happen to be Wile would it? It seems like we have a lot of similar ideas when it comes to operating an LNL press.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 15, 2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Crashbox

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I will try Mongoose33's idea of braking the plate with my finger (and avoid breaking fingers with the ram!!!). I do use a Powder Cop for the full-house loads and a RCBS Lockout Die for my TiteGroup loads (since double-charges could occur with this powder/case combo), so capping the case with the bullet on the down stroke immediately after charging is not possible.

The TiteGroup loads do not shake themselves lighter, it's only the biggies.

I will brainstorm some more to see if I can hack something together which will work, other than my finger(s)... but for now the finger trick will do.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:42 PM   #7
dfe2240

I don't have any powder spill issues loading 9mm and .40 cal, but I have found that with a progressive press, the first stage (knocking the primer out and resizing the case) requires a lot more lever pressure than in any of the others. That really bothers me because I can't feel what's going on at the other stages. It also jars the press a bit, which could cause a powder spill. To get around the problem, I use a two-stage process-- decap and press in a new primer on the first go-round, then bellmouth, drop the power and insert the bullet. It's obviously slower than a "full progressive" operation, but I find the results are a lot more consistent. I don't know if this has any relevance to powder spill, but it's possible.
Old January 15, 2010, 10:22 PM   #8
David Wile

Hey folks,

Dfe2240 indicated he sizes his cases in a seperate operation because the sizing process jars his press a bit. I know the sizing operation requires more force than the other operations, but it should not be jarring the press if it is mounted solid enough. My 12 foot long bench is stick built from 2X4s, 2X10s, and covered with 1 1/4 inches of plywood. It is all screwed together, screwed to the wall studs, and there are two 4x4 legs about 4 feet in from each end. Above each of the two legs, I have bolted steel plates a half inch thick and about 12X18 inches rectangular. In each of the two steel plates, I have drilled and tapped 3/8 inch holes for all my presses to be bolted solidly to the steel plate. Believe me, the LNL AP press does not jar in any way when performing all operations at once. Give the press a solid foundation and it will perform rosk solid.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 16, 2010, 02:17 AM   #9
Crashbox

Well, I tried the finger brake trick per the recommendation of Mongoose33 and it worked pretty well- no primer shuttle jams! Considerably less powder strewn.

Although I did ruin four shells, two cracked at the mouth and two cockeyed bullets- no big deal considering the vast amount of .357 Magnum brass I have... it did seem kind of like a Monday at the bench, though...

But the finger trick worked! Thank you for the suggestion, Mongoose33.